Centara Villas Samui
Mercure Koh Samui Beach Resort(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
$63
$49
Very Good 4/5
Rocky's Boutique Resort(Lamai Beach)
$143
Great 4.5/5
Rummana Boutique Resort(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
$101
$91
Trip.com
$544
$116
Great 4.5/5
The Kala Samui(Maret)(Great Value!)
$506
$81
$192
$273
$222
Trip.com
Great 4.5/5
Sallamai Resort(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
$53
$46
Hotels.com
Excellent 5/5
$118
$110
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
Rich Resort Beachside Hotel(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
$10
1,728 results
All reviewsbaht bonanzacool barspa villafishermans outletshuttle buscoral barbutterfly gardensister hotelour honeymoonkoh samuiindividual villasreef restaurantmanager timtable tennisfree cocktailwalking difficultiesa la carte menu
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We Stayed at Centara 30 Nov - 10 Dec. On arrival we were greeted with fresh coconut drinks and hot towels, which was rather refreshing. We were then seen to by a member of staff who informed us that our room was not ready but they had another one waiting instead. We were also informed that the butterfly pool (which is the main pool) was closed for the duration of our stay. We were not too bothered at the time, but later we were very disappointed, as the building works ruined the beach and it would have been amazing if it was all open and in function!... Any way back the room. When we got to our room, it was in an awful location, right near the reception, so you had a lot of people walking past and they could all see into our room, plus the air con was not working and it was stifling hot! We complained and were moved straight away to the original room (116). This room was much better and all in working order!

The Hotels beach is amazing! It is very quiet and secluded! there are not many other hotels near by so it is peaceful! There is an amazing little beach hut bar called Cool Bar, they are really cheap and very welcoming to all their guests! ( as you will see many comments by others)
The hotel grounds are beautiful, but could do with a little bit more care, as it always looked dirty, especially the beach. There was always washed up rubbish. But the flowers and greenery were beautiful! The hotel is a 15 min drive away from Lamai but there are local shops along the way there. There is a hotel shuttle bus though out the day and night, so the transport is there. Taxi's are a total rip off. You are better off renting your own jeep or scooter!

I would recommend that you stick to the coral bar down on the beach, as it is cooler and there is a better atmosphere. They had happy hour between 1-2 in the afternoon and then again at 6-7pm it was buy one get one free, so that was really good. All the hotel prices are pretty steep, very much so comparing to home! So we were pretty shocked at this as we knew fine well down the road, drinks were more than half the price at cool bar! Another thing to bare in mind all prices are excluding vat and service charge. I have mixed feelings about the hotel because we were not payed much attention by the staff, and the hotel manager was a bit of a wally at time, didn't really know how to answer our questions.

I have mixed feeling about this hotel because of the staff and the fact that the hotel was in need of attention plus their prices were a total offence! but saying that I would recommend you stay here, it is beautiful, peaceful and well worth it, for the sheer beauty it has to offer and the location is really good if you want to get away from it all! Just don't waste your money on the luxury rooms if you plan to spend your days on the beach because the rooms are not that different! Also Eat out. 5 min walk down the road, there are a few lovely restaurants ( barracuda and the fisherman's) they are lovely and really cheap! Support the locals! Lamai is really nice, there is a food market on with thai curries for as little as 50baht and they taste amazing! On sundays there is a really big market selling all sorts of things! Make sure you Haggle your way through, always offer 40% of the price they tell you.

Would I go back? ..... yes maybe! Should you go? Yes it is well worth the experience!

Prices... Chang 190 baht (cool bar 90 baht)
cocktails 190-250 baht
meals per person 650-850 baht
bottle of water 150 baht (local store 12 baht for 1 litre )

Room Tip: go for room 116
3  Thank philippamather72
GM C, The Staff & Management at Centara Villas Samui, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Philippamather72,

Thank you for sharing your experiences of your stay at Centara Villas Samui. We are pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and your pictures are very nice.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by the repair works and the delay in the reopening our third pool during your stay. As you are probably aware, Koh Samui suffered an island wide power cut from 9am on the 4th December until 4am on Friday the 7th. To refill the pool we needed 80 truck loads of water but unfortunately the water trucks needed electricity to pump the water from the wells into their tanks which was not possible until the power supply resumed around the island which in turn prolonged the closure.

We would also like to apologise that you felt the staff did not pay you enough attention or that the manager did not answer your questions succinctly. That is an uncommon complaint and we will certainly review our customer service to ensure it is proactive at all times.

We do review our Food & Beverage pricing with similar style resorts on Koh Samui to ensure competitiveness and the prices you listed in your review are slightly incorrect so we have listed the correct prices below for other readers of this forum.

Beer Chang: 90++ baht (cool bar 90 baht)
Cocktails: 150++ to 250++ baht
Meals per person: from 160++ to unlimited (depending on cuisine and appetite)
Bottle of water: 2 free per day in the villa and 45++ baht at the bar (local store 14 baht for 1 litre)

We would like to wish you a Happy New Year and thank you for staying with us here at Centara Villas Samui.

With regards
The Management & Staff.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 weeks on our honeymoon and it was perfect! From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't do enough and the second night we met the General Manager who was more than helpful in introducing us to a special discount they were running on food and beverage. Having traveled extensively and stayed in a variety of hotels but usually on the 5 star end it was pleasing to find this hotel managed so efficiently. In most hotels you rarely see the GM but here he was everywhere checking out the hotel and it's facilities which showed in the attitude of the staff throughout. The rooms are very comfortable, the pools very nice and a beach that is all you would expect. The breakfast was excellent and all the food we had was beautifully presented and of high quality. The only slight downside was the number of steps but it did help to keep our weight down! We could find no fault in the two weeks but if there was a couple of things that could be improved it would be to make a chill out lounge area with comfortable seating between the bar and the beach that is now set out for eating tables that there are enough of in the dining area below. Also it was a lovely pool that could be made perfect by a swim up bar. We rented a couple of motorbikes and I would recommend this if you really know what you are doing or better still rent a car as the hotel is some distance from the towns and sights.

5  Thank Gladiatehere
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here 8th-22nd December in room 300 a pool villa. Apparently this resort has 99 villas in total and it was not quite full, but getting that way for the Christmas holidays. Our room was lovely and spacious but alas not enough hangers in the wardrobe, and as we were will under the 20kg flight rate! 6 hangers in each wardrobe, so I rang for some more, they eventually arrived over an hour later! GOOD start. The following morning we were expecting someone to clean the pool as it was full of leaves and also maybe bring some sun beds, how do you use your own pool without something to lay on? After complaining to the rep at noon eventually by 4pm we had our beds and someone had actually cleaned the pool so all was good, until the following day when no one came to clean the pool and again it was full of leaves and unusable. I sat on the bed to call reception when I noticed a mark on the clean bed linen (it had been changed about an hour before) when I looked it wasn't a mark on the linen but on the duvet it was someone else s BLOOD and the maid had just changed the bed. I asked reception one to send someone to clean the pool and two to remove the duvet for a clean one. 3 hours later our patience had run out and my partner went to reception and insisted on seeing the manager. Not an easy task by any means as he was approached by every other member of staff before the Assistant manager turned up. He came back to the villa as the maid left with this filthy duvet and I mean filthy, it wasn't just a large spot of blood it was disgusting, the manager ran after the maid to see the state of it and came back and told us that the staff should "shampoo" it better. These stains were not new, these stains had been on that duvet for weeks, that duvet needed to be burnt not washed.
After the assistant managers visit all settled down again, the pool was cleaned every morning at 8am and everything was fine.
People have said that having the extra expense of a pool villa is not worth the money, I disagree, as I said the hotel was verging on full 99 villa's x 2 people = 198 people now you have a sun bed problem. Three swimming pools. Pool one overlooking the beach has room for just 10 beds and they have the usual towels on by 8am. Pool two has 12 beds and pool three has 10 beds. The beach has all of 65-70 = at best 102 beds (so sad that I had to count them) by 2pm in the afternoon you were struggling to find a bed. Had I not had my own I would have been very disappointed. As I said we had the top pool villa just along from reception and a whole 125 steps down to the restaurant and beach, kept the weight off. The hotel charges and extra 10% service charge then adds another 7% tax to everything you buy, so watch that small beer end up costing you 105baht, when they are 3 for 100 baht down the road. I could go on and on about the not so good side of this hotel, the housekeeping is more than shoddy, the toiletries are not replaced daily or the mossie blocks I had packed my own so not a problem but as your told they are provided you might expect them to be there. And no one works together, to get anything done you will need to complain to the manager and this doesn't bode well for a relaxing holiday. The baht bonanza only happens at low to mid season and not on the high. Our air conditioning packed up on our second week and they had to call an outside engineer so they wanted to move us, having checked our another 2 pool villas we elected to stay put and if necessary just sleep in another villa for the night, this wasn't needed as they eventually fixed it be it only for a few days, it broke down 3 times in our last week. Due to this they gave us a complimentary meal which we had on BBQ night, and I'm really sorry but no way was that worth 690baht per person, if I had,had to pay I would have been mortified. Breakfast was so,so with sausages that even the dog was not keen on and even at 6.30 in the morning as it opens nothing is hot. Overcooked hash browns cold undercooked strange sausages, cold baked beans , the usual Thai/Japanese curry and rice. Bread was nice if it wasn't covered in little fruit flies.
All in all we had a good time after things settled, but I've had better cheaper holidays elsewhere. The restaurants 5 minutes walk away are OK, I preferred the food in the Barracuda to the Fisherman's outlet but all was pretty boring. We went into Lamia at night on the shuttle and there was plenty of choice there.and where you can get wonderful cocktails from the van for 60baht a glass. Walk across the bridge at the end and just before you come into the next lot of shops on the left you will find NIMSO Cocktails van. He sure knows how to make a cocktail and nothing is of substandard strength, grab a seat, have a drink and watch the world go by. BLISS! LADIES PLEASE TRY A THAI MASSAGE at the COCOBOLO opposite the fisherman's outlet. I had a full one hour thai massage with my other half (they did them together) then I had a one hour facial and a manicure the whole lot came to 1300baht. Just wish I had gone in, in the first week. The thai massage is not for the faint hearted it tough but you feel oh so good when you come out.
Soory this dosen't fit in with any of the other reviews, but it is honest review.

Room Tip: the standard rooms didn't seem to have any sun on there little varandah and a lot of them are overlooked from the walk ways
3  Thank the odd couple

Dear odd couple,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing some of your experiences of your time at Centara Villas Samui.

Naturally we are disappointed that you were inconvenienced by several issues during your stay and we do sincerely apologise for those problems. We do take all of your comments to heart and we will work with all of the staff to ensure that they will not be repeated.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and we would like to wish you a happy & prosperous 2013.

Sincerely
The Staff & Management of Centara Villas Samui

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Fantastic place, not too big. Lovely pool and beach with a great local beach bar & music bar a few metres away down the beach. Food was good. Resort is quite a way from the bright lights, so a car or bike needed if you wish to explore. We visited in December 2009 (not 2012) and had good weather with just a couple of thunderstorms. Also facilities at Centara grand are free to Villas guest in Town

Room Tip: Some rooms have plunge pool and day bed but these attract the mossies in the evenings!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have recently returned to Broome, Australia from this Resort. The weather was alot cooler than our 37 degree weather, but hot for most of the visitors. We loved the place and can't wait to return. The staff were all very helpful especially Pranee who always had a warm friendly smile. The rooms are great even the delux villa that had no pool or spa but an ocean view. The grounds, pool area and activity centre are well maintained. Christmas Eve Dinner was the highlight for me with so much vegetarian food offered and a wonderful fun atmosphere (even Santa made an apperance) The only thing I would suggest to Management is that they consider employing either an Auatralian or European in the Front Reception area as the staff sometimes face communication problems. I am more than happy to apply for that Postion and move to a second paradise permanently.

Room Tip: Villa 332 has a great Ocean view but no pool or spa. We preferred to be at the beach or pool area so this room was great.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends