“Great steaks, pleasant service”
Review of The Longs Arms

The Longs Arms
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This pub has a nice balance between a locals' drinking pub and a restaurant. We went on a fairly busy Friday night and had a few drinks at the bar before eating. My husband found the choice of beers and ciders to be really good. On sitting down we were presented with both a regular menu plus a valentines menu (we went on Feb 15) and shown specials on a blackboard. The menu was varied and interesting, some of the usual pub fare but also some more exciting dishes too (and you don't have to pay extra for chips/veg/salad etc as in some places). We both plumped for a Chateaubriand steak and asked for alternative sauces to those on the menu which was no problem at all. When they arrived the steaks were really really tasty, cooked to perfection with delicious hot triple cooked chips and a crispy side salad, we really couldn't fault this and WE ARE NORMALLY VERY UNDERWHELMED!! Afterwards I had a delicious home-made toffee apple crumble tart and my husband had a cheese board which had 4 different cheeses and a decent sized portion. These were also excellent. The service was efficient with serving staff pleasant and friendly. Food wasn't rushed out but came in good time. We were really impressed with the whole experience & will return soon. Just one reason I've given 4 stars & not 5, the pub was rather chilly as the log burner wasn't working very well. It didn't spoil our night but it would have been nice to have been a little warmer!

There are newer reviews for The Longs Arms

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Beautiful country pub, great location. Landlady and staff very welcoming and attentive. Food was really well presented and cooked lovely.
I had booked for myself and my best friends after hearing how nice the pub was,and we were not dissapointed and will definately be going back.
Thankyou to all at the longs arms, see you again

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We have long been looking for a place to lunch when shopping in and around Trowbridge. The welcome was warm. The food very enjoyable, especially impressed by the Mini Ploughmans (left room for pudding) the Sticky Toffee Pudding was gurt lush! And I haven't had such a nice Red Wine in a pub/restuarant before! Definitely will be returning!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We booked lunch here for 2 last Sunday, it having been confirmed by the owner’s email: “Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday.” But that turned out to be worthless. We arrived (one of us having travelled down from north Wiltshire), to be told that all the restaurant room tables had been taken and we could not be accommodated. When I referred them to the confirmation email, I was simply told: “Well, it’s not in the book!”. No sign of an apology, then or subsequently. Fortunately, The Somerset Arms at Semington was not too far away and they were happy to welcome us and provide a very good meal. A previous reviewer of The Longs Arms (23 November 2011) titled his piece “Be sure where you will be setting!”. This one could well have been called: “Be sure you will be sitting at all!”

7  Thank Chippered
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I would recommend this pub, it is small and cosy, service is excellent and the food is great, we sometimes get there take out fish and chips too now that is very tasty! Perfect pub grub, lovely atmosphere.