“Brilliant Museum”

Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful time at this museum , the staff were brilliant and really made the stories come to life. A fascinating insight to the workings of a mine. Go, and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we did. Thank you.

1  Thank Jools106652
There are newer reviews for Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum

Reviewed May 1, 2014

We arrived on a rainy day Easter Week. All staff were enthusiastic and friendly. They even arranged a private tour for me as my husband had already been around whilst I walked our dog!
They brought the conditions of the time to life and gave this 64 year old a sense of achievement when I successfully lit the fuse, ran away, and brought down a fall off rock!!!! I have the certificate to prove it.
Well done everyone. Utterly recommended for kids of all ages.

2  Thank TravellerwithSharPei
Reviewed February 24, 2014

family, kids 6-8 yrs. The staff were full of enthusiasm and brought the place to life. My kids were quite frightened and to be honest it was scary for small kids, but that is because they have gone to lengths to give a feeling of what it was like...pitch black room with voice over from a small child describing his first day in the mine, a mock up of setting up an explosive in the mine and then returning to find the rock fall. The history also fascinating and the iron made the sydney harbour bridge!

1  Thank sarah j
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Ignore MarcMH ! For a fiver each 4 of us spent nearly 2 hrs here & it only felt like 10 minutes. The tour guides are enthusiastic & informative - I think the length of the tour depends on how many questions you ask (all answered) All in all WELL WORTH THE VISIT. p.s. I don't like parmos.

2  Thank Joanne H
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was one of the best living museums I have visited, with interesting and particularly well informed volunteer staff. The museum explains the background to the development of the Middlesbrough steel industry in an interesting and interactive way. We have often passed the signs and wondered whether to go, and although we had to make a detour to avoid the recently washed away bridge we thoroughly enjoyed the 90 min tour which takes place half hourly regardless of the fact we were the only 2 visitors at the time. Ourown personal guides! Thank you to the wonderful volunteers who keep our heritage alive. £5.50 was a reasonable price for such an interesting visit.

2  Thank Sue W