Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
1,376 results
All reviewshau treemauna keagolf viewgolf coursemain towerthe big islandmid centuryclambakefour seasonsasian artmanta rayswalk in closetbanana breadunderstated eleganceclam cakesplay golfyear after year
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Mauna Kea is the most amazing place! After being closed for remodeling it has opened with more flair, and pizazz then before. My husband and I have been visiting the Mauna Kea each year for 22 years. The beach is best in the world. I spent hours in the ocean. The golf is over the top and very challenging...the staff is amazing. JoAnn at the Beach Bar makes the best Mai Tai's ever...we don't stay anywhere else when we travel to Hawaii. It is old Hawaii at it's best.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I have come to this hotel for many years, it has re-opened having been remodelled after an earthquake a few years ago. It is the same wonderful hotel....only better!! The new oceanfront rooms ( now a room and a half) are fantastic. The bath is beautiful marble...just gorgeous! The staff is so friendly and kind - it is unlike any other hotel in the world. The Mauna Kea sits on one of the most perfect beaches in the world.

You simply can't do better than the Mauna Kea, it's heaven on earth! It's worth every penny - even if it's a lot of pennies!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2009

After 5 nights on Oahu, our visit to the Big Island was more what we expected as our "Hawaii experience". And the Mauna Kea was a perfect fit. The architecture, setting, landscaping, views...all beautiful. Service was good- just a bit oblivious at times. The best word to describe the resort: "wow". We must have said it 50 times as we walked around.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2009

This vacation was so great that I begged my husband for 4 more days- I couldn't bring myself to leave! The location is peaceful and beautiful and in some strange way the hotel does not get in the way of your enjoying Hawaii, as others can do. Manta rays at night, sea turtles during the day, great snorkelling, fantastic stars down on the beach in the middle of the night, rooms quite nice and room service very fun out on the balcony. The food was very inconsistent, however. Do not order the purple soup!! But I found the service friendly, and food is always iffy in Hawaii anyway.
The trip out to the volcano is long and depressing. Only go if you love volcanoes.
The beach, the beach...flat in the morning for snorkelling, little fun waves even toddlers can ride in the afternoons. And no other hotel around!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank malibugypsy
Reviewed September 8, 2009

This was the first time we stayed at the hotel since the renovations. The rooms are much more comfortable, and the hotel has the same vibe it had before. I give the hotel beach a 10 for snorkeling (lots of fish, eels, turtles). I highly recommend Rowena in the Concierge office. She was excellent with scheduling all our adventures and dinners. Merriman's Restaurant (www.merrimanshawaii.com) was amazing, as usual. Also, Kohala Divers was exceptional for intro scuba classes (www.kohaladivers.com).

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple