Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
$284
$227
Hilton.com
$341
Hilton Waikoloa Village(Waikoloa)(Great Value!)
$304
Hilton.com
$649
$299
Marriott Hotels
$649
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
1,376 results
All reviewshau treemauna keagolf viewgolf coursemain towerthe big islandmid centuryclambakefour seasonsasian artmanta rayswalk in closetbanana breadunderstated eleganceclam cakesplay golfyear after year
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have been to Mauna Kea several times and it's always like going back to home. The beach is as beautiful as ever -- one of the best beaches I have ever experienced -- clear waters, usually pretty calm, clean white sand. Thanksgiving buffet was incredible. On the big island this is the choice.

Room Tip: Golf Vista rooms are large and offer a great view -- ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of an extended stay at this hotel and highly recommend it. The beach ranks at the top of any I have seen, a beautiful symmetrical crescent shape. The guys working the beach were one of the only drawbacks of the hotel. They couldn't be bothered with anything, including putting up umbrellas. I don't mean I needed them to put one up for me. I mean that every day the umbrellas were put away because of the supposed "wind," even though it was only windy one day. So, you basically had no choice but to be cooked in the blazing sun, for no genuine reason other than those guys being lazy. I should point out that the rest of the stag did not fit this profile--all of them I met were great.

Anyway, everything else was superb. The beach bar had phenomenal house specialty cocktails--the frederico being my favorite. Room service and the restaurants were delicious. Even the breakfast buffet was good every day and more varied from day-to-day than most hotels I've seen, which was quite nice.

The grounds are gorgeous. Mountain view or ocean view--either way you won't be disappointed. I didn't get to play the golf course but sure enjoyed looking at it as I drove in and out of the hotel each day. They have a light set up to attract manta rays at night, which was really cool.

The spa was also nice. Overall, we had an exceptional stay!

Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank RamblingRazorback
Reviewed November 24, 2013

After much agonizing about whether to stay at this hotel (as not ranked in the top 10 on tripadvisor) the reviews of the beach convinced me to stay here. We were not disappointed. This is perhaps one of the most beautiful beaches I've been to on the islands (Maui, Oahu and big island). There is the most magical snorkeling as well-- more beautiful fish than I've ever seen!

The hotel has a graceful mid-century charm. The elevators are a little rickety, and we did have to change rooms twice (the first one smelled horrible) and the second one was near a bunch of outdoor fans-- the third one was great though. The rooms were very spacious, elegantly re-done bathrooms and very clean. It seems that an oceanview room would be worth the money here (we had golf course view). One of the other downsides is that the food isn't great and there aren't a lot options unless you drive to Waimea, and there aren't great paths for running or walking. The pool is rather small, and I noticed there weren't many families (a few with kids age 0-2) -- may not cater to people with kids looking for a lot of non-ocean entertainment.

That said, I would definitely stay here again for the beach alone-- truly spectacular -- the tranquility, the beauty and the snorkeling!

Room Tip: Ocean view room may be worth the splurge. I think higher up rooms are better!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We loved our stay at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. The location is perfect, on one of the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The staff is incredibly friendly. Several restaurants are available on site so you do not have to leave the resort. We traveled with a 6-month old baby so we appreciated the comfort of not having to take the car for every meal.
The only complaint I have is related to the small number of available covered spots around the pool and on the beach. You have to come very early to get an umbrella. Luckily with a 6-month baby being up early is not an issue...
We stayed there in early June - prior to high season - and we enjoyed the calm. I think we would have had a very different experience during peak season though.

Room Tip: Apparently they have recently renovated the rooms and they are running a promotion: for any stay prior to the end of 2013 you get one night offered for every night booked. You have to call them to take advantage of this offer.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Mauna Kea is a beautiful luxurious hotel. They have thought of everything to make your stay as relaxing as possible. We stayed in the Golf Vista room which has a large walk-in closet and washroom with its own private lanai. Although we did not face the ocean, we had great views of the perfectly manicured golf course. I would definitely recommend the room – very large room for a great price.
The beach at the Mauna Kea is one of the best on the island; soft white sand, no rocks as you swim out and an amazing coral reef with lots of colorful fish (bring your snorkeling gear!). Several other hotels on this island have man-made beaches. The beach at the Mauna Kea is natural and you can definitely tell the difference.
The food is delish. If you are getting breakfast at the hotel, I recommend the buffet breakfast. The first morning, my boyfriend and I decided to do a la carte. It ended up being as much as if we had done the buffet and seeing the delish foods the people around us were getting from the buffet, we did not repeat this mistake the next morning.
Having stayed at other hotels on this island, the Mauna Kea is by far the best and we will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Golf Vista Room is definitely worth the upgrade from the basic room!
Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends