“Real Deal Hawai'i”
Review of Puako Bay

Puako Bay
Ranked #6 of 9 things to do in Puako
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed in a vacation rental on Puako Road, aka Puako Beach Drive. There are at least 6 or 7 beach access points on this one neighborhood street, which seems to be the only real residential street in Pu'ako. The coral strewn, lava beaches are incredible but aren't for the delicate or flip flop crowd. Come prepared to be cautious and careful, and you will be amazed at what you see on the shore or in the reefs of the neighborhood beaches.They are full of turtles and tropical fish, as well as underwater coral communities. For a leisurely sandy experience, take the road across from the transfer station until you see a paid beach parking lot. Beautiful shade trees, plenty of sand, and more mellow snorkeling there than on the neighborhood beaches. This beach is known as Beach 69 and has more shade than the more celebrated Hapuna Beach, found further north off the same road.

What we also liked about Puako was how close it was to a primitive lava tube, petroglyphs at Mauna Lani and how we didn't have to deal with the cruise ship crowds that converge at Kona.

I think we're sold on renting vacation homes now and just enjoying the sights and sounds of an authentic Hawaiian neighborhood.

4  Thank beachfan28

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our family rents a house in puako for vacations. We go down to the end of the road to the small beach for snorkel and scuba. This is not a sandy, swimming beach. Early morning before waves and tides up is best. There is a good little cove entry for this. We think the shore dive here is better than the boat dives. (We have done both). Our last dive, we saw eels, turtles,rays, all kinds of fish, and even ended up by the dive boat. You can see a lot just snorkeling over the reef too. On one of my morning walks along the shoreline, I came across about 10 turtles sleeping in the sand. You can also see many coming up to shore at dusk. I've also seen people going out in paddle boards, so this must be possible from the reef areas too. There is a small general store if you run out of something. Several other beaches are also close by.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband & I snorkeled in Puako Bay. We went out with Kohala Divers. The best snorkeling we did on our visit to the Big Island. Wish we would have gone out more with them. The visibility was awesome and we saw a lot of hono.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

It is a hidden treasure. Not a swim spot, but amazzing snorkel, exploring and ease to get to the water line....

1  Thank Lori F
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We didn't snorkel here, so I can't rave about that...we just walked the beach and at the far south end came across a series of tidal pools with waves breaking just offshore. As we stared into the waves, we noticed three honu; revealed only when the waves broke. As the waves crested and thinned out to a frosty-emerald green, the dark silhouettes of these gentle creatures came into view. They would tilt head down, allow the wave to ride over them, and continue their grazing, surfacing every couple minutes for a gulp of air, then back to eating. We kept waiting for one to surf in to shore, but, of course, that never happened!
I didn't capture a photo of this, but my son did; once he gets me a copy I'll post it here.

1  Thank Bob D