“NEW YEARS EVE AT THE FAIRMONT ORCHID”

Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Puako
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“NEW YEARS EVE AT THE FAIRMONT ORCHID”
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Just returned from the beautiful Big Island-Kona, and the stay at the Fairmont Orchid was exceptional. Overall the staff at this property help to make it the gem that it is-particularly Cathy and Annie at the front desk, who go above and beyond, the Fairmont organization should be proud to have such dedicated, professional employees. There are two towers: the "south tower" which is a bit dated, and the "north tower" which is where the Fairmont Gold level is located on the sixth (top) floor. All the rooms are beautiful but you should try to stay as close to the ocean as possible-since the views are spectacular, and you will not see this at home!!! The sunsets at 5:30 PM, so make sure that you are out by the beach at that time, because you will see the most stunning sunsets, and maybe even some turtles swimming up to the shore. Brown's restaurant on the beach is a great place to have a sunset dinner and the food is excellent, with a nice wine list. Plenty of chairs by the beach, but the water is rough and rocky (you will need to wear shoes) good for surfing or boogie boarding but not good for snorkeling, Mauna Kea beach is where you want to go for snorkeling. Plenty of beautiful golf courses nearby- my favorite was Hapuna Prince. There are also many great restaurants nearby including Roy's which is always good. The Four Seasons and the Fairmont Orchid are the two top places to stay in Kona, but the Four Seasons is a little too close to the airport. I am looking forward to returning soon and staying at the fairmont Orchid!!!

2 Thank MYDOLCIVITA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 31, 2009

We were at this hotel for about half a week in 2008. I was initally unimpressed with the greeting and service. I felt like a number being rushed along as the new guests arrived. We however were upgraded to Fairmont Gold which changed the experience. We had a concierge who while not as helpful as I would've liked still made all the difference as far as feeling a personal touch in a large hotel. This especially came into play when my wife cut her foot on some coral.

The view was of the gold course, not very awe-inspring and it felt like a large hotel. The rooms were suites so room was not a problem. The real secret of the hotel is the little private cove where you can snorkel with the sea turtles. We were out there every morning first thing to swim with these awesome creatures. Food was expensive but the complimentary buffet and snacks in Gold were a great convenience as was the computer and periodicals.

The hotel seemed to cater more to families so as a couple it felt a little off-putting at times especially at the small beach and at the various events they had. If we had not been in Fairmont Gold I would've probably given a more severe review but the service in that section was one of the better personal touches I've seen at any hotel.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ramblindave
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed December 26, 2009

We had an 6 hour flight turn into a 20 hour ordeal trying to get to Hawaii from Sacramento via United.
We arrived at 4:00 am the day after our expected arrival date and Monica at the front desk treated us like old friends/family. She was so caring and lovely and reminded us that we "are here now" and we could relax. Boy was she right!
As it turns out everyone that works there is just as happy and helpful as Monica and I truly felt cared for by happy employees.
Everyone we dealt with at the Fairmont (Spa without Walls staff, Valet, Brown's Deli staff, Room service staff, Bartenders, Waiters, everyone) were just terrific and I can't wait to go back! Wish I could give a higher rating for service via Trip Advisor...they were that good.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank KendallD
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We had a strange history with the Fairmont Orchid. In 2007, while planning our wedding, the catering manager called us and rudely "relocated" our confirmed wedding site to another location. This change benefited the Fairmont Orchid as it would cater to the larger (and more profitable) group which wanted our spot. After much back and forth, we opted to get married at the Four Seasons Hualalai (which was breathtaking and amazing). Fast forward to 2009. We decided to go to the Fairmont Orchid over Thanksgiving holiday and got a great deal from the hotel's own website. When we checked in, the manager graciously upgraded my husband and I (and our little 5 month old) to a 1-bedroom suite which was just gorgeous. We had 2 balconies for the room, and a huge closet area and 1.5 bathrooms. It was amazing. I'm writing this review after having just returned from the Ritz Cancun and I can say that I missed the Fairmont Orchid the entire time I was in Cancun. The room was a little musty from the ocean air, but the room service was top notch, turndown service topnotch and they kindly offered us a fridge for us for free. Dinner at Brown's was really good and excellent considering it's a hotel restaurant. The lobby areas were open-air and beautiful. One weird thing---the parking lot spaces are tiny tiny. Someone actually rear ended our rental car backing out. So watch out for that. The "foodland farms" supermarket is 2 minutes away, and the prices are really reasonable considering the location. We got the "You Deserve it" Spa package which came with 2 massages, a beach cabana all day, and food all day for the beach day. So worth it. The massages were lovely, and the spa actually was better than the Four Seasons Hualalai (eek). I think this property is more catered towards children. Although I hold the Four Seasons Hualalai near and dear to my heart, now that I have a baby, I might come here instead =) Plus, there are less mosquitoes here than the Four Seasons (for some strange reason). The Sunsets are amazing here. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank lilpooh108
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2009

First let me say that before my wife and I traveled to the Big Island we did a ton of reading on where to stay, etc. Some of the reviews for the Fairmont were less than favorable and in my opinion misleading.
We arrived in the evening and were impressed immediately with the level of service. The valet parked my car without charges the first night as they did not want us to walk from the parking lot (not that far). The staff, without exception, were incredibly friendly and helpful.
The hotel has recently gone through a $15M reno and it is extremely well appointed. There are reviews that state that the hotel is dated, I suggest that those reviewers must have been at a different resort. The rooms are big, the lanai's are generous and our partial view had an excellent view of the ocean. The rooms were also extremely clean. I joined the Fairmont President's Club (for free) prior to the trip to get free internet and found that they also provided extras throughout the visit. Discounts on the property, extra turn down services, fresh fruit everyday, etc, etc.
The property was kept to perfection. Hardly a leaf would fall without someone cleaning it up.
Although we did not have our kids with us, the beach would be perfect for kids. It is very protected and has sand imported from Honolulu.
We ate at many of the restaurants at the resort and we did not find a bad meal. If you ate every single meal at the resort, it would be a bit pricey, but you certainly get what you pay for. We ate at a few of the other restaurants close by and the prices were comparable.
Those on a budget can save some money by picking up sandwiches at the food mart located about a mile from the Fairmont (by the traffic circle). They have lots of good stuff and the deli is excellent.
I am finding it difficult to find something bad about the Fairmont Orchid and we are planning a return trip next year.

2 Thank Zed11
boston
Reviewed December 8, 2009

We just came from 5 nights at the Kea Lani in Maui. Wow, even though they are both Farimont hotels, what a difference!!! The Orchid was a hassle. Service was bad. The grounds and rooms were not nearly as nice as the Kea Lani. The breakfast buffet was really gross. You are better off staying further south at a cheaper resort. We were sorry we left Maui. The Orchid was disappointing!

2 Thank jportjeff
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed December 7, 2009

Hotel is in a good location, but most hotels in Hawaii are. Hotel needs to be renovated. The furnishings, service, food is tired and it shows. Not a modern updated hotel at all. I feel when a hotel doesn't care to modernize and keep itself up to date, its a disrespect to their guests. Assuming they do not know any better and never travel. Anyone who travels internationally would consider this a 3 star hotel aside from the location.

Food is Ok, nothing amazing. Service is Ok, nothing amazing. Feels like your dealing with US flight attendants. It's more "No" than "Let me see what I can do for you"... and actually follow through. Rooms are dated. Few rooms have ocean or partial views unless your a giraffe. They might tell you its a "view" but its only a play on your intelligence and your wallet. What makes this a 5 star category hotel is the cost nothing else. They must think if you pay top dollar it's got to be good in all respects. This is not the case. For a honeymoon, vacation, or anything else, there are much, much better options.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puako
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii? Share your experiences!