This is the first time we have felt compelled to warn other guests about a hotel. Here are some of our reasons:
1. When we arrived, the rooms we requested and had been guaranteed would be ready, were not ready for at least an hour.
2. Despite the hotel's appearance as a family resort, our young children (6, 4, and 1), were directly approached by the floor managers and told not to disturb other guests who are "paying a lot of money to stay here;" the 6-year-old was so intimidated he didn't want to get out of bed the next day for fear of being thrown out of the hotel.
3. My husband and four other hotel guests (with whom we had traveled to Hawaii for a nearby meeting) came down with food poisoning after eating at the hotel's poolside Brown's Deli (the four-month-old baby of one couple was later affected and brought to the hospital). The hotel's "apology" consisted of sending fruit plates the next day to those affected while they were still nauseated.
4. We became aware of mice running through our rooms. Traps were set in our room and we actually caught one (I was tempted to parade that mouse around the hotel but decided not to stoop to the hotel management's level of insensitivity and rudeness). Management never apologized for the mice; we were told that "the island is overrun, it's not an issue of hygiene," so the mice were to be expected.
As we left, my husband told the manager that we travel a lot and can roll with the punches, including food poisoning and mice, but the rude treatment at this hotel is unacceptable. We will never stay at the Fairmont Orchid again and would not recommend it to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii is a Kohala Coast Hawaii oceanfront luxury hotel and resort with white sand lagoon, Hawaiian Spa Without Walls, golf, tennis, five restaurants, extensive meeting and event facilities, and a year-round children's program. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Fairmont Hotels, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii Hotel Waimea
- Fairmont Hotel Kamuela
- Fairmont Orchid Hawaii
- Fairmont Kamuela
- Kamuela Fairmont