“A Lovely Experience for All”

Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Puako
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I started reading reviews of the Orchid after I booked, and I started to get a bit spooked - some reviews were intensely critical of the property. We hadn't had a big family vacation in a few years, and wanted our visit to be memorable - in a good way.

There was no reason for concern. From arrival to departure, each and every staff member went out of his or her way to make our visit special. From the bell staff to the front desk, concierge, deli, pool - each and every staff member was lovely, friendly and helpful. We found the grounds well-kept and lush, and our upgraded room was spacious, well-decorated, kept very clean by the housekeeping staff, and had a stunning sunset view from the balcony.

Small touches such as delivery of bottled water to our room daily and towels and cold water being offered by the valet each time our car was brought around made us feel like we were living in the lap of luxury. The beach at the Orchid was just right for kids - there's a small, calm bay filled with sea turtles which is a wonderful spot for the first-time snorkeler or paddle boarder.

The unique spa was also a treat. I booked a reflexology appointment in one of the small waterfall-adjacent huts, and it was one of the most relaxing experiences of my life - not to be missed.

We've stayed at a number of upscale properties in the Islands including the Fairmont Kea Lani and Grand Wailea on Maui, the neighboring Mauna Lani and the Halekulani on Oahu, and the Orchid either met or exceeded our experiences at each.

My only criticism - and it feels picayune to mention it, but it was annoying to my kids - is that the daily activity card which is delivered to guest rooms had many incorrect time listings for complimentary beach activities, and some activities which were mentioned in hotel brochures were not offered at all. We missed out on petroglyph and history walks this way. It was a hiccup.

All in all, I highly recommend the Fairmont Orchid and hope to be able to visit again soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
TheFairmontOrchid, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Aloha and thank you so much for your very complimentary review. We appreciate your wonderful feedback about the many services and activities you enjoyed during your visit. Please again accept our apology for the confusion with the daily activity card - we have reviewed all printed materials to ensure they are in agreement so that this does not happen again. Thank you for staying with us - we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,303)

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed here for 8 nights with three young adult children. Facilities are very clean and well maintained. Pool is beautiful. Not a great spot for teenagers/young adults in terms of night life and peers...no real place to hangout. (Of course this could have been a function of the week/time we were there). The beach area seems very well suited for young families and would be super for little kids.

The food is excellent, but very expensive (both at the hotel and the local area). There are no inexpensive alternatives nearby except for a Subway and burger joint at Queens market.

One of the nice things about the hotel is the quantity and graciousness of beach towel availability. I've been to some places where you practically have to give your passport to get a towel. Not here. Also note there are towels available with the bellhop for daytrips, as well as in a locked cabinet next to Brown's deli for after hours.

You'll definitely want a car to get off the property.

2  Thank Kley P
Reviewed July 8, 2014

On our trip of 4 Hawaiian Islands this was our second stop. We arrived at Kona Airport on Hawaiian airlines, collected our Mustang from Hertz and drove to the hotel. At first we thought we had landed on the moon, the black terrain of what looked like volcanic rock was quite amazing. The further away we drove from the airport the more eerie it seemed. There was no sign of life at all on this island and we had to rely completely on our Sat Nav and Google Maps to guide us towards our hotel. Eventually we were informed by the sat nav that we had to turn left and entered a world of lush life down a long road leading eventually to The Fairmont Orchid.

We were greeted by the efficient car valet guys who unloaded our luggage and whisked the car away. We were adorned with Lei Garlands - beads for boys and flowers for girls Lovely! We were guided towards reception who then asked us to follow our luggage to the Fairmont Gold reception area - Fantastic! Not only a special area of the hotel but also where the Fairmont Gold executive lounge was located. It is really worth booking a suite in this area as you are treated very special indeed.

The lovely Elizabeth checked us in and explained the many benefits offered to us by the hotel in general and the Fairmont Gold area in particular. Our suite had two rooms, a large sitting room with balcony overlooking the waterfalls of the spa area, comfortable seating area and en suite toilet. The bedroom also had a balcony with very comfortable loungers table and chairs, huge comfortable bed with quality linen and great pillows. A hallway with two wardrobes either side lead to the bathroom. Two washbasins, large tub, toilet and shower. Quality toiletries and large fluffy towels.

The hotel has many restaurants all with outside areas the main one being Browns. There is a cafe by the pool overlooking the ocean and a large restaurant inside the hotel where a full buffet breakfast was served. We tended to use the executive lounge for breakfast and lunch time snacks when we were in the hotel. There is no free alcohol in the lounge but they have an honesty bar with drinks available all day. Everything else is complimentary. Free wifi is available and also wired in the bedroom desk. We had dinner by the ocean in the pool restaurant or Browns.

When Elizabeth was not on duty, Stacey was in charge, they really are the most helpful and attentive people as are all the staff at this fabulous resort. Elizabeth and Stacey booked us a helicopter trip with Hawaiian Blue over the volcano which is a very worthwhile trip to take.

The pool is huge and heated, around the pool are table tennis, golf, snorkelling, tennis and a hidden whirlpool which was available 24 hours. Beautiful gardens surround the property and are maintained fully. Make sure you walk along the edge of the ocean outside the pool bar where huge turtles come and sunbathe on the rocks, they are amazing.

This is a fabulous hotel catering for everybody in a smart, peaceful location and I thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get the best room you can afford and if you are a luxury traveller book into the Fairmont Gold area...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HotelBloke

Dear HotelBloke, we are speechless; you made our day! Mahalo, and please come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

It had the potential to be a beautiful trip to Kona, the hotel was an extravagant treat for my birthday and was luxurious, the staff were lovely and helpful, however it ended up casting a shadow over the rest of my Hawaii trip. At check-in I clearly stated I wanted to pay the balance of the accommodation in cash, not card, and I was happy to do it then and there. However the concierge told me not to worry about it until check-out and that it wouldn't be charged to me credit card. Was that misleading. A day later I checked my account balance and the remaining accommodation charge plus security deposit was on hold on the card, causing it to overdraw. Funny how the charges get taken out instantly but take a week or more to reverse. Basically rendered my credit card useless for the remainder of my trip and me unable to use it for security at the next 3 hotels. Incredibly distressing, upsetting and stressful, the worst way to end what had been such a lovely stay.

I was incredibly disappointed and would not recommend this hotel to anyone due to this horrible experience. The remainder of my holiday (a week and a bit) was spent furiously borrowing money from family and on the phone to the bank to try and get an emergency increase to my card.

Stayed: July 2014
16  Thank Kyra H
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Amazing hotel for families! Stay on the Gold level if you can - you get personalized service, breakfast, and heavy appetizers (that can serve as a meal). Save $$ on activities - go with the activity pass.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Aloha 11Jean, thank you for your review and your wonderful recommendations!

Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel was so perfect for the family. It never felt overly crowded as you may get elsewhere. The best features were the beach: calm and warm waters, great fish and turtles for snorkeling, and gear to try paddle boarding etc. The pool was bigger than in the hotel website pictures and very warm. The rooms were nicely furnished. The dining outdoors by the sunset was great. I would highly recommend this hotel. The price for the hotel was reasonable given what you got and compared to a hotel in Maui it was a steal.

The only cons were so minor but passing along to help you choose:
the walk from your car to the room was long as the resort is huge
expect hotel/resort prices for food
the pool area gets so hot on the stone tiles that you have to jump into the pool from your sandles

Room Tip: if you sign up to be a Fairmont club member you get free WiFi. I got a garden view room and I still...
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I had a massage here and I have to say that this was the best massage I've ever had. It was not only the beautiful garden setting and waterfall sounds, but the perfect skill of my masseuse. And when I say 'best', this is coming from someone who has goes for massages every 3 weeks and has been for many years.
You start off by getting into the spa facility which is beautiful, serene and clean. After you get into your robe, you can have a tea and wait in their garden or waiting area. They also have a steam room, which I did after my treatment. And their showers are lovely.
I was given the option of either a garden waterfall hut or a beach hut for my massage, depending on what you want to listen to (waves or waterfall). The receptionist recommended the waterfall garden, which I went with. I was very very pleased, the temperature was perfect and I had a private raised hut for my massage.
So with this setting, I then had an extremely skilled masseuse, I'm sorry now that I don't remember her name (maybe Kim? Karen?), but my friends who also went with me really liked theirs too.
Highly highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ilikebeaches

Aloha, thank you so much for visiting The Spa Without Walls at The Fairmont Orchid! We are delighted that one of our skilled therapists provided you with an experience that exceeded your expectations. Mahalo for your high recommendation. Please come back and see us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puako
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii? Share your experiences!