“Wonderful vacation hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, Florida
“Wonderful vacation hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

Our visit to the Fairmont Orchid was as perfect as a visit could be. Coming into the hotel you are struck by the beauty of everything around you. The grounds are immaculate. The staff was warm and friendly. Our room was very comfortable. Meals were mostly eaten outside with ocean breezes adding to the comfort. It was a great vacation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheFairmontOrchid, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Aloha Martha,

Thank you for your gracious and kind review. We are thrilled to know you had a wonderful vacation and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawai`i

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at other Fairmont properties, and feel like this one is in need of TLC, staff training and quite frankly, doesn't compare to the other Fairmont properties previously visited by us.
The good things are:
The buffet breakfast and the staff there
The location, and the outdoor grounds

The unacceptable things are:
My husband took a shower and came out of a bath-meaning, the bathtub wasn't draining and he was standing in SHIN DEEP WATER (we have photos to prove it)
The stand up shower, separated from the bathtub shower, I was the one standing in ANKLE DEEP WATER.
The walls were actually DIRTY in the bathroom,with brown "mystery fluid splatters" on the door
All doors were sticky--no idea why....
Turn down service actually woke me up, as they came at 9 PM!!! (sorry, i'm east coast and was jet lagged the first day)
Daily cleaning service wouldn't come in till 4 (?!)
I asked in advance for extra towels, not a huge request, which by now I'm sure you would guess, wasn't met, and it took a phone call to address the water, turn down, and daily cleaning services to get proper service. I was also informed that a "manager" would call me regarding my dissatisfaction, and that never came either. I said the time of day I would be in the room to accept the call, and it never came.
The spa is mediocre at best, the outside "lounge" area is covered in ants and bird droppings. How relaxing...The services were again, mediocre, and there's nothing more soothing than a huge clock on the wall ticking loudly as you're getting a facial. That's professional. I work in a spa, and the technicians keep quiet watches on to keep track of their time, as well as a discreet clock in the treatment room to keep them on time.
We were put in a room next to the "service" room, which we believe the did all their heavy labor in the middle of the night, keeping us up and having no regard for sleeping guests..
I in the past, don't think I have ever given a review like this, and honestly, didn't think I ever would, but for the price of what it was, I expected more.. I felt like I couldn't wait to get home and take a shower.. Sorry...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank travellingpoodle
TheFairmontOrchid, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Aloha, and thank you for your feedback.

It is certainly very concerning that we failed to meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apology for the numerous shortcomings you experienced during your stay, I assure you that the circumstances you described are not the norm, and that we strive to offer the highest level of service and accommodations that you have come to expect from Fairmont. we have shared your feedback with the appropriate members of our team to ensure that this does not happen again. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Camillus, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

This was my husband's and my twelfth trip to the Big Island since 1990. In the past we had stayed at the Royal Waikoloan, which is now the Waikloloa Marriott Beach Resort. Last year we decided to try some place new and stayed at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel. We loved it. While we were there, we visited the Fairmont Orchid next door, and the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel farther up the coast. We decided to give the Orchid a try this year and booked our reservations in December. I printed a map of the grounds and requested a "Signature Ocean Front Room" in the south tower on the highest floor available. The description of the view from these rooms is a "spectacular full ocean view." We booked the trip through Pleasant Holidays, and just to make sure we got the room we had requested, I actually called the hotel several weeks before our scheduled arrival to confirm that they had our request. We arrived on March 23. From the minute we drove up, I had a not-so-good feeling about the place. Instead of being greeted with open arms (as one usually is at a good hotel), we were motioned quite rudely by one of the bellmen to reverse the car to make room for someone else. To me, the body language said, "Back up, go away, you're not welcome here." He could just have easily walked up to us and politely asked us to move, but apparently he couldn't be bothered. This was a total turnoff to both my husband and myself. Then, when we were "allowed" to drive up to the entrance, we were given kukui nut leis and then proceeded to stand in line and wait about ten to fifteen minutes to check in. The hotel had been able to fulfill our room request. Our room was ocean front on the fifth floor of the south tower. However, when we got to the room and went out on the lanai, I almost started crying. The view of the ocean was obstructed by two giant palm trees; I'd say about 75 to 80 percent obstructed. We had a decent view of the beach, but that was it. Before we even unpacked, we went down to the desk to see if there were any rooms available with a better view. There weren't any, so we unpacked and got settled. The next morning we went down again and asked if any better rooms would become available, since we were staying there for ten nights. We were put on a waiting list, but nothing ever came of it. Since they had honored my request, I felt there really wasn't anything I could do about it. But I really wish that, when I called the hotel about the room request before we went, someone had informed me that the view would be obstructed. I would say that this disappointment reduced my enjoyment of staying there by about 40 percent. To me, sitting on the lanai and watching and hearing the waves rolling in is one of my favorite things about being in Hawaii. Although I could hear the waves, I couldn't see them. Toward the end of our stay, even though I didn't want the trip to be over, I wanted to leave the hotel. I have to admit that the hotel is beautiful and the grounds are magnificently landscaped. The pool area is very nice. The breakfast buffet, which was included, was decent. There were several restaurant choices; the one we ate at most often was the Hale Kai, right on the beach, where we could take in the breathtaking sunsets while dining. It was a little pricey, but not as much as some of the others at the hotel. Most of the staff was pleasant; some very much so, and others not so. But I did not get the sense of Aloha that I got at the Mauna Lani, and at other hotels on the other islands we've visited over the years. I guess I kept comparing the Orchid with the Mauna Lani, since they're next door to each other; but there's just no comparison. One other thing--they have a nightly turndown service. The housekeeping staff leaves two bottles of water and two drinking glasses, and turns on the bathroom light, the hallway light, and the TV!!! With all the push toward "Going Green," I thought this was ridiculously wasteful. All in all, I guess I'm glad we stayed there, so at least we know what the hotel is like, but in the future I will most definitely stay at the Mauna Lani, and NOT the Orchid.

Room Tip: If you request an ocean front or ocean view room, make sure ahead of time that you really will be ab...
2 Thank CDWfromNY
Aloha,

Thank you for your feedback. It was very disappointing to read about your unfavorable experience. Please accept our apology that we failed to meet your expectations. We take your feedback seriously, and assure you it will be used to improve our service. We strive to create a memorable experience for our guests by providing professional and friendly service in a warm and inviting atmosphere and we are very sorry we failed on this occasion.

The Fairmont Orchid Hawai`i
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

I stayed at the Fairmont Orchid in March. Overall the property, room, etc all nice. I had a bad experience in the poolside/seaside restaurant - was seated at a table next to the bar which, although I didn't realize it at the time, was the only table without an umbrella affixed to the ground. Ours had a ?pool umbrella just sticking through the middle of the table. Soon after we were seated a strong wind blew (hum maybe whoever seated us at a table with an unsecured umbrella should have thought about the fact that it could be a hazard??) and the umbrella flew out of the hole in the table and hit me directly in the face and shoulder. It was a big shock and quite painful. The hostess came over and called "security", who laughed and literally said "wow that is strange" more than once. If I hadn't been in shock from getting slammed in the face by a giant metal umbrella pole I would've been extremely shocked over the way "security" handled the situation. He took my name and phone number, told me that the manager would be calling me that afternoon to see how I was doing, and left. Needless to say there never was a call from the manager or anyone else to check on me. I was very lucky not to have been severely injured but was really stunned that no one ever followed up on the incident, or at the very least offered to take care of our lunch bill. I would have expected that a hotel such as the Fairmont would have better customer service practices in place, as well as better procedures in place for handling accidents that directly occur due to negligence on the part of the hotel. On a more positive note, as we left the restaurant a waiter (not ours or one that had anything to do with the situation) walked by and apologized for the accident, which was the only apology we received!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank GeorgiaZoey
Aloha GeorgiaZoey,

Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apology for this frightening accident and the subsequent lack of follow up and empathy from our staff. We will definitely review our procedures to identify where the break down occurred and correct it immediately Thank you also for taking the time recently to speak with one of our senior leaders about your experience, and please know that we are truly sorry that this situation was not handled with the genuine care and concern that it deserved. We do hope that you had an opportunity to enjoy our resort and our beautiful island in spite of this incident, and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back one day.

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

The service and atmosphere especially at Fairmont Gold is special. Well balanced design of overall hotel surroundings which is matching with the nature. Staff are well trained and very friendly. Once you step in you can enjoy luxury resort time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Stayed here for like 4 days and 3 nights. Rooms well extremely clean and stuff was very welcoming. Only reason why I did not give a 5 stars here is the lack of activities you can do in and outside the hotel.

Bend
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

We held our small wedding at the Fairmont Orchid, Turtle Point in March and it was truly an unforgettable experience with memories to last a lifetime. The service was five star as well as the overall property from the beautiful hotel grounds to the amenities including pool, beach area, spa and restaurants.

I would highly recommend this Resort to anyone coming to the Big Island. We will be back for sure!

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puako
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii? Share your experiences!