“The best meal I've ever had, and quite possibly ever will!”
Review of Le Pre

Le Pre
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Durtol
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2017 via mobile

It's very difficult to put into words how incredible an experience it is to dine at this restaurant. We went for the full tasting menu, which was €99 and roughly 16 courses. The attention to detail in this cuisine is world-class, and they more than deserve their 2 Michelin Stars. It's impossible to do the food justice in a short review, but some highlights include the signature dish of slow cooked egg yolk with smoked potato foam and truffle, as well as a dessert of chocolate done 11 different ways! Every one of my tastebuds was treated like a king. The waiting staff are wonderful, attentive and pleasant. We felt truly pampered for the several hours we were there. The decor and setting are superb, with tasteful modern art adorning the walls and tables, beautiful sculptures placed throughout the restaurant. Wine menu is second to none, with all regions of France amply represented. Wines are also available by the glass from as low as €8.
If you are thinking of dining here, do not hesitate to book a table. Of course it is an expensive evening when all is said and done, but in my view the price is beyond the point. The team at Le Pré deliver a once in a lifetime gastronomic experience, and I have no doubt that it is one of the finest restaurants in the world.

Date of visit: August 2017
Write a reviewReviews (391)

Reviewed July 13, 2017

We were so looking forward to eating here. The restaurant has just received it's 2nd star this year, and we were keen to enjoy an evening here. The food was absolutely faultless, deserving of its second star. From the amuse bouches to the end of the meal the food was exquisite, both in taste and presentation.
Unfortunately, the service was appalling. We walked in to a very pleasant lobby area, and would have liked to have a drink there, but we were ushered through by a server with a tight-lipped expression to the restaurant immediately. We had called earlier to change our booking from 7:30 to 8:00pm, so we were not "late" for our meal. When we were seated our first amuse bouche was presented to us before we had even ordered anything to drink. Then more amuse bouche arrived. Finally we got something to drink. We asked if we could go at a leisurely pace, but the waiter told us that we had to keep the same pace as the table behind us, because they had a big table in another room, so they were very busy. I was very surprised at these comments. Then he tried to bring the first course whilst we were still eating the amuse bouches. We still had a full set left. I told him that I was not ready, but he insisted that I had to take the dish. I reiterated twice before he took it away. We mentioned to the sommelier that we were baffled by this treatment, and the rush that the other waiter was in to serve us as quickly as possible. After that he came and apologised and stayed away from our table. It is not the sort of service one expects in a 2 star restaurant. The rest of the meal was served at a normal pace, and was delightful. The sommelier, Arnaud, was very professional, competent and pleasant. I feel that to keep this second star, the service should be reassessed.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed April 16, 2016

Quite simply, the best meal I've ever had.

This restaurant deserves 2 Michelin stars. The food was sublime, the service excellent, the wine waiter and the chef speak very good English.

Can't wait to go back. Thank you to the whole team for this wonderful experience. Bravo!

Date of visit: May 2015
2  Thank siamese63
Reviewed February 22, 2016

Honestly, I have convinced myself to lower my expectation on Michelin 1 star over the years because of how it could turn out to be a overcharged dining experience in fancy places with average food. Le Pre, however, totally caught me by surprise from the start with its very delicate amuse bouche with local produce (the St Nectar cheese was totally unforgettable).

There were two menu (one 60ish and one 90ish) and because of how full we were that day we only went for the former. It was good enough with its six courses meal. It was creative and rich. We had this escargot with special foam and the texture of escargot was hence amazing with different layers of ingredients. We also have this egg with a tasty green sauce on the base and one was just so amazed when we reached to the bottom of this tempting appetiser. The two main (fish and pork) were equally good. Especially for the fish, it was soooo tender ( to the extent that it felt like a half raw and half rightly steamed Chinese/Japanese style fish).

The dessert was also very good we had this amazing and refreshing citrus dessert.

Really don't miss this restaurant. Everything was amazing, service was impeccable. What a nice visit and what justice it did to the hometown of Michelin.

Date of visit: February 2016
1  Thank Somerset811
Reviewed February 13, 2016

How to describe a perfect meal..
The meal is made of a multitude of small appetizers, dishes, flavors and sensations..
The sommelier comes from a great Parisian house trained with the greatest poet that I know

Date of visit: February 2016