“...A True Paradiso....”

nyc
“...A True Paradiso....”
Reviewed September 25, 2006

letter to management:

I cannot express to you how thankful I am to you for having us at your most precious home, Round Hill. My 40th birthday was perfect.

Your presence and obvious quest for perfection is written all over the place and you can feel it in every inch of Round Hill. Your staff is one of the loveliest I have met in my (many) travels around this globe.

Some highlights for me….Even prior to arrival, KERISHA made SURE it happened - even in times when things looked like we might not make it down, she persisted and made sure we would come. Her help was unforgettable. Then at the airport, which can be crazy for anyone, the serene energy of DAVID with his warm greeting, always making sure to take good care of Elijah. He made our first impression of Round Hill one I will never forget; perfection for anyone just arriving to Jamaica for the first time. Everyone in your staff….from RAYMON (my lunch mate making sure Elijah had something different to eat every day); to TROY and PETER (driving us around the grounds and letting Elijah feel like such a big boy); The tender care and patience of everyone in the kitchen; OSLEY, RAINFORD, BERTRAM, JODY, IVY, PETER, STEVE….just everybody – I know there are a ton more I can’t name but honestly, your staff is the most wonderful part about being a guest at Round Hill – and I know it comes from the top. You should truly be proud.

When I checked out yesterday I was so embarrassed of my well of tears. I really didn’t want to leave. I have made many friends who are already in touch with me from Germany (the other Elijah!) and even as close as 4 blocks from me here in Brooklyn, Mr. and Mrs. Mannix!

I do hope to see you again soon – for sure, I am coming with family next time.

Stayed September 2006
7 Thank ksmithpr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 16, 2006

My husband and I traveled to Jamaica for our 25th wedding anniversary. We chose the Jamaica Classics package which is three nights at Jamaica Inn and three nights at Round Hill. Both resorts have amazing reputations and we went with high expectations since we had never been to Jamaica before. Unfortunately, Round Hill did not live up to the hype. We had spent the the first three nights at Jamaica Inn and were totally delighted so we couldn't wait to see Round Hill. Our package included the transfers between both hotels, however, as soon as our Round Hill driver pulled up to the hotel he announces that we owe him $120. Of course, we check in and that is resolved, but not the way to start our stay. Our room was beautiful and we overlooked the ocean and pool. However, as we walked to dinner that night, we didn't get the same friendly vibes from the staff as we got from the Jamaica Inn. The service did not compare. I think the topper came on Tuesday evening which was the actual date of our wedding. My husband had talked to the dining room and catering dept. on several occasions to make our dinner that night special. We were to have a bottle of champagne waiting at our table that night and when we were seated, there was none. My husband and I sat for fifteen minutes and then he had to find the manager and arrange another bottle. My husbands dinner was inedible that evening and they also failed to arrange the special dessert that had been discussed ahead of time. Needless to say, we didn't pay for our meal that evening. We were glad we had the opportunity to stay at Round Hill, but would not recommend it for anyone traveling to Jamaica - we are returning to Jamaica Inn. Rick and Julie

• Stayed July 2006
20 Thank ccmo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2006

I used the reviews on this site to book a 20th anniversary trip for my wife and I back in October. Since so many of the reviews to that point were so very positive I felt very good about selecting Round Hill. I checked the reviews every month from October-May of this year to see what others thought of Round Hill.

We just returned Sunday night from our stay at the Pineapple House. In complete opposite from the previous review, my wife and I are ready to return next week if we could to Round Hill.

In selecting Round Hill, I thought there is no way it could be as good as everyone said in the reviews but if it was nearly that good, we would have fun. Let me tell you Round Hill is that good !! We had a marvelous time. Everything was so smooth from the transport at the hotel, to check-in, to making you feel like you had been there 20 times. The staff is far and away what makes Round Hill, Round Hill ! It is a classy and first class resort, nostalgic, classy, yet fresh and alive.

The meals were wonderful, the blend of both American dishes and Jamaican delights is very well done. The atmosphere for all occasions was fun and varied. The service at every point was exceeding expectations all day, every day. The bar service was great, the Watersports team was phenomenal. The snorkeling right off the beach was easy and amazing ! Everyone was very helpful, personal and answered all our questions with fun and insightful information. Omar, the operations director greeteed us every day and asked how things were going.

At every turn we had a staff member going out of their way to make sure we were enjoying our visit. A couple of the guests had children, but it was not too many to be able to enjoy quiet time as a couple. The spa was great. The new pool really is the icing on the cake. It is the most beautiful pool and spill over spa pool I have seen. It is such a visual delight. We had a 2nd floor Pineapple House room directly over the pool. We had no issues with noise from the pool or noise from room to room as a previous review commented. The well appointed room and bath were first rate !

Overall, We are ready to return to a place that is both creative in it's intent to make a guest feel cared for in 2006, yet really maintains the style and class of Old Jamaica.

Well done Round Hill, keep it up and we will be back !!

• Stayed June 2006
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mamaroneck, New York
Reviewed June 11, 2006

I spent 5 days at Round Hill with my husband, brother in law and sister in law. Our in laws had stayed there once before and raved about this hotel. It's understated elegance is noticible right away.It is so old world charming you expect to turn a corner and see Ernest Hemingway relaxing on a baech chair. The history of the rich, royal and famous staying at this establishment is bragged about and heavily displayed in black and white photos throughout the bar area. Its the type of place that makes you feel special because you are staying there.
We stayed at the pinapple house. I was a bit dissapointed at check in because I had booked and fully paid months beforehand and requested one of the rooms with a balcony. When we arrived to our room it was not one with a balcony. The upstairs rooms have no balconies. Instead they boast cathedral ceilings and huge, wide shutter windows that overlook an absolutely gorgeous veiw. I felt bad complaining because the room was so beautiful. All we decorated by Ralph Lauren (who actually owns a villa directly next to the Pinnaple House). White walls, floors, and linens contrast against dark mahogany canopy beds. The bathroom was amazing... again its quaint in a way. Very simple design updated with beautiful fixtures. The bathtub was so big it made me feel like a four year old again. After calling the front desk and asking about a room change (because I still wanted that balcony) I was told, with apology, that there was a large wedding and all the rooms with balconies were given to those guests. They said that I could be changed to a lower (balcony having ) room in two days. Which it was.
Now, the only true downside to our trip: This wedding party was a particulary rowdy group for the Round Hill. As we were told by the general manager "These were not the regular round hill customers!" Total relaxation could be attained at this hotel if the "regulars" aren't there. Every moment at the pool was at the mercy of these guests. It's a smaller sized pool area so their loud conversation and nerf ball throwing was not appreciated by us certainly. But they didn't seem to care because there were so many of them and so little of us. We headed down to the beach area which was small but very tranquil. Also, we found a lovely spot at the other much smaller and older pool about 1/2 mile walk over at the spa area. At the spa area, which is at an old plantation house, we actually felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. It was wonderful. You could also order from a smaller spa menu there and get a run punch or glass of wine.
As for the spa i can only say it needs some reworking. All four of us went over and booked seperate treatments. We all were seen within an hour of asking. When I went in for my pinnaple body scrub my brother in law was in my room! There was a thick cotton curtain seperating us but he disclosed to me that he saw the complete outline of me- naked!!!! So... i wasn't too impressed with the privacy aspect of everything there. Make sure you are getting your own room is all I can say, I am sure it wouldn't be a problem. But the spa wasn't as fabulous as a spa can be. Just the basics here. Though I must say all four of our treatments were thouroughly enjoyed!
Food was great! Service was genuinly nice. I will return again. Hopefully not while a large loud group is also there.

• Stayed May 2006
12 Thank lovinthesunLISA
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 9, 2006

My boyfriend and I visited Roundhill for what we thought was going to be a week's vacation. A booking error resulted in us having to move to another villa after three days.

Service - the level of service here was appalling. I've read other reviews where people have said it's 'exceptional', 'very good', '5-star' etc, and it seems to me that they're writing about a different resort to where we stayed! We have both stayed in some of the best hotels in the world, including The Four Seasons, Mandarin, Ritz and the Burg All Arab in Dubai, so we have good hotels to use as a basis!!! There is only one restaurant at Roundhill, which had a very basic menu, there was nothing Jamaican about it, their lunch menus had a choice of club sandwiches or burgers, which was very poor. As an example, we asked for Lobster and we were told it was out of season, and to make matters worse, they had canned tuna as an option on their menu!!! On our first night there, we decided to opt for Room service, which was a disaster, it ended taking over 2 hrs to get our food. A similar room service experience was encountered on the second night, so by the third night, we really had no choice but to go to the dining room, which had limited choice, was over priced and had poor quality food.

On a positive note, the staff were very helpful, but I felt they were always let down due to mis-communication in their 'back-office'.

The resort itself had a river running nearby, which transpired to be a haven for mosquitoes. For those of us who are fair-skinned, we seemed to be the best food on offer at the resort! When we got there, nobody even made us aware of this. We did get some lotion upon arrival, but by day three, we had been bitten quite badly. The villa itself had nothing to counteract mosquitoes, which for the locals, didn't seem to be an issue. And as other reviews noted, the floor was a haven for ants.

The villa itself didn't have a TV. Upon arrival, we were informed that for an additional $25 a day, we could hire one. When it was delivered to our room, they informed us that all we could do with it was use it to watch DVDs, as they had no satellite signal available.

Were it not for the fact that the staff were friendly, courteous and pleasant, we would have left Roundhill on day 2. Jamaica is a beautiful island, with very hospitable and welcoming people; it's a pity that Roundhill didn’t live up to what it marketed itself to be.

After four days, (I don't believe we could have stayed there any longer!!), we moved to the nearby Ritz Carlton, where five star luxury and service came guaranteed. And yes, they had lots of Lobster here!!! The Ritz is a wonderful hotel, where the service you pay for, you get.

In summary, we definitely won't be visiting Roundhill ever again, as we'll be better able to find a resort where we can spend $600 a night and actually feel like we're not being robbed blind.

Enter at your own risk!!!!!

• Stayed June 2006
29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san francisco
Reviewed June 8, 2006

Round Hill Resort is a fantastic resort in Jamaica. The staff, service, rooms, villas, food, spa, pool are absolutely top notch. The hotel rooms are all newly updated-but if you can you really should stay in one of the villas!!! Most have a private pool and each morning breakfast is made to order for you by your own private staff!!! It truly is luxury at its best!! The staff treats you like family and the new chef really has done a great job improving the food and menus. This is a great place for couples or families--even with small children as the nanny service here is stellar!!!!!

8 Thank kimbren
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 30, 2006

This hotel was great! My husband and I had an amazing time in Montego Bay and would highly recommend Round Hill. I recommend staying in the newly renovated hotel vs. the villa. We originally had a villa, but upon our arrival we found it swarming with little ants...gross! I can get into the rustic, bush Caribbean country thing but that was unacceptable. So we moved to the hotel. When we made the request the director of operations was very nice, quick, and accomodating. The hotel was great - no insects, and the view was even better than that of the villa. Only complaint about the hotel is that the walls are very thin - you share a door with your neighbor and ours were very...active...at all hours...

All that said, I really enjoyed my stay here. I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly, the food was good, and the grounds are just beautiful. I'd definitely go back.

Stayed May 2006
7 Thank tlynette
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopewell
Jamaica Inn
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!