“Don't even think about it!!!!”

Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hopewell
“Don't even think about it!!!!”
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We were there as a part of a destination wedding recently, and while the rooms were nice as well as the views, no other thing about the resort was worth recommending. The service was very lackluster, the food was very average, and the overall attitude was way too laid back. There was absolutely no sense of urgency on anyone's part to do anything ordinary let alone special. Way too much money for way too little.

• Stayed June 2009
5 Thank dinerman1988

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Manchester
Reviewed June 1, 2009

My husband and I returned from Jamaica only last week and we are missing it like mad!!!! We stayed at there for the second leg of our honeymoon, checking into the hotel on 17th May 2009. Firstly, Montego Bay airport was absolutley pain free - our bags came off the plane immediately and we were greeted by our rep for our transfer which was through Jamaica Tours. We had a private (quite swanky) car with a driver who talked us through en the local ameninities, tours through the company and even the history of Jamaica.

When we arrived at Round Hill we were offered a choice of two rooms. We had booked a downstairs room in the pineapple House as we had thought it would be better to have a balcony. However, the view from the upper floor was too good and the whole room just felt a lot brighter - more airy. The rooms were amazing, immaculate, clean, exactly as they are shown in the brochure - better! Also our shower was huge! We met another couple, later in the holiday, who had a villa and I have to say that I preferred the rooms in the Pineapple House. The Villas are amazing and the private pools are to die for but we personally preferred to be closer to everything. The villas are up a hill. Not steep but in the heat and after all the food ... you see what I mean!

Food. Probably some of the best we have ever eaten. Whether you decide to go a la carte from the menu or for one of the fabulous buffet themes you will not be disappointed. I would be perfectly happy if I recieved that quality food in a top english restaurant. We opted for Half Board so we had breakfast and dinner in the evening. B y the way, its pretty much all you can eat if you go down that route. We regularly made several return trips to the table. We didnt know about afternoon tea until we arrived, and it worked out perfectly. When we arrived on the verranda at 4pm there were sandwiches, cakes, nibbles, tea, coffe etc - complimentary for ALL guests. Needless to say we never went hungry.

The staff cant do enough for you, and are genuinly friendly people who all take pride in the their work and surroundings.

The free watersports are not quite what they seem. You can do things like snorkel, go on a pedalow and some other bits and pieces but you cant water-ski free of charge as we thought. Understandable I suppose!!!

Make sure you have a dirty banana. They are the most amazing cocktails, perfect for general consumption while lazing on the beach.

What more can I say, its total luxury and we would change nothing. We hope we can go back soon!

Nick (33) & Claire (26) - UK

P.S we didnt go into Montego bay - we couldnt tear ourselves away from the hotel.

5 Thank Didsburybabe
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful time at Round Hill. As most other reviewers have said. . . the place is gorgeous, service is excellent, Afternoon Tea is a highlight, the spa is great, meals are good but expensive (but so is any resort). . . we loved every minute.

Since the food and drinks are expensive (and the all inclusive package is very expensive, at least if you are like us and don't eat or drink a lot), we always bring drinks and snacks (yes, that's allowed and you can pack alcohol in your checked baggage - just pack it well). They have mini-fridges in every room so you can keep stuff cold. With what we brought we were able to just eat lunch and dinner there and not feel like we were spending a fortune. Plus on Wed night they have a Manager's Reception which is really nice and they have a free appetizer buffet and an open bar which we took full advantage of.

FYI, they don't offer a lot in the way of excursions. If you want to do something specific they can certainly make it happen, but they didn't have the type of pre-set group excursions like most big resorts have. We did go into town which was a big waste - except that we got a cheap lunch. There are only crappy
souviners and people bugging you so I don't recommend it.

Also, because it is a smaller resort and they do a lot of weddings, you might want to ask what they have going on before you book. We went Sun-Thurs which was perfect, there was hardly anyone there since there were wedding groups the weekends before and after. Weddings tend to take over a resort so I tend to try to plan for when the fewest people will be there.

Another thing a few people mentioned was the noise. The rooms in the Pineapple House are very open and yes, you can definitely hear people outside and your neighbors if there is an adjoining door. So that was a little annoying a times only because one of our neighbors had a really loud laugh (and apparently the guy she was with was pretty funny because she laughed a lot), they also woke us up at 3am when they came in and just in general we could hear them when they were in the room. That's just luck of the draw though of who you get as a neighbor so I can't really fault the hotel for that. But I will agree that if you are looking for absolute silence, you probably want a private villa.

I was a little nervous that it wasn't going to be as nice as we wanted it to be, but it far exceeded my expectations. I would defintiely recommend it.

3 Thank TeemDef
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2009

A little late in adding this brief review.

Arrived just prior to the American Thanksgiving to this beautiful property. Elegant but not fussy, peaceful a wonderful spot to reset for a few days +.

My husband and I stayed in the Pineapple house, first floor. No neighbours, night one we threw open the doors to enjoy the ocean breeze - never a worry at this resort about security.

Our aiport experience and transfer was seamless.

The room was beautiful, in fact during our stay we didn't see our maids once. Turndown service was lovely a second room cleaning while we were at dinner each evening.

Lovely champagne and wine selection, meals were just incredible. Loved the afternoon tea.

If you are going to have some bevvies just go with the platinum plan.

Take advantage of the spa! perched looking out over the ocean and rolling spa lawns.

Loved that there wasn't any piped in music, you could enjoy the pianist or band during dinner.

My husband and I were so relaxed at certain points I wasn't sure if I even had a pulse. Staff is incredibly well trained and provide an outstanding level of service there isn't anything I can think of that could have been improved upon. Quiet, peaceful, beautiful grounds, excellent cuisine, lovely pool.

Go off season if you wish to enjoy peace and quiet. All the children we met during our stay were all very well attended to by the staff but I would think at full capacity we may have had a different experience as far as the peacefulness of the stay.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank traveller1791
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We stayed at Round Hill for 4 nights at the beginning of May. We had booked a second floor room at the Pineapple House but upon arrival were told we had been "upgraded" to a villa. I declined the upgrade twice but they begged me to at least see it before I made a decision. We agreed to take a look and while we were there it kind of slipped out that there were no available rooms at Pineapple House due to a wedding party until the next day. Considering we had booked only a week before, why weren't we told then as I'm sure the wedding had been on the books longer than we had? It didn't matter because we fell in love with the villa. Amazing view, amazing private pool, cheerful staff, etc. So happy were we that we decided not to go to Pineapple House the next day. I would rate the food a solid B (I don't usually like resort food anywhere) and everything else an A. Everyone on staff was very professional yet fun and laid back all the same. Having just returned from the Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman I appreciated the smaller size of Round Hill as well as the friendliness among guests. No fighting over beach chairs, etc. The spa is in a beautiful setting but keep in mind when booking a massage that they like to go way deep tissue and asking the therapist to lighten up is like asking the sun not to rise. We came away feeling like not only would we want to go back as a romantic getaway again but also wanted to go back and bring our three young children - rarely do you find a place that would serve both purposes. Overall a great vacation at a unique destination - can't wait to return!!

1 Thank Momtravel33
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Round Hill for a weekend and had what's best described as a half-villa. In essence, we had half of a private building but shared a yard with a neighbor. We had beautiful views of the Caribbean and a private outdoor living room with sofas and dining area. The resort had a great free tea time service but meals were expensive. The concierge, however, directed us to a little seaside lobster shack a few miles away and we dined there both nights of stay. Truly, the Caribbean lobster there was the highlight of an already amazing weekend. The atmosphere at Round Hill is elegant and relaxing and a perfect place for a romantic weekend trip.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingCatLady
Connecticut
Reviewed May 4, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Round Hill in early April and had a wonderful stay. We stayed in the Pineapple House in a room with a great view of the ocean. There was a good mix of couples and families and the children around gave the resort that much more life. Meals are not cheap but that is true of any quality resort on this or other islands. The service of the staff is wonderful and cheerful. The afternoon Tea is a nice, free touch. It is a great intimate resort which is comfortable and not to large. We found local restaurants to be good. Did not care much for the hip strip which seemed rundown with few attractive places. Played Golf at White Witch which was a challenging course with more significant elevation changes than Tryall. There were only 8 other golfers on the course when I played and the Ritz Carlton which owns the course was less than half full that week.

We look forward to returning to Round Hill with again and may bring our kids and rent a villa.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopewell
Jamaica Inn
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 62 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,228 reviews

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!