“JAMAICA MY ONE LOVE” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hopewell
Siena, Italy
“JAMAICA MY ONE LOVE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Once again I returned to ROUND HILL where I have been going for over 30 years, for myself and my family it is going home: My grandchildren spent every summer there from the time they were small, nannies are supplied, chilren are well looked after. The beach is small but sufficient, the beach bar is great fun, water sports are abbundant-

The cottages varie according to the owners taste level but definately more than comfortable and all the staff are extremely professional, warm and more than polite.
The hotel rooms, all overlooking a marvellous pool and the sea are so comfortable and pleasant, not overdone-

If as a familyor group pf friends, breakfast is served in your cottage, if you have one of the hotel rooms you can take it in the restuarant or have room service-

We will as a family or one by one always return to ROUND HILL, dont miss-

maureen skelly bonini

Room Tip: in the hotel rooms, I prefer the first floor, however the ground floor have a patio. the cottag...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Valued Past Guest,

Thanks for continuing to choose Round Hill year after year for your family vacation. We pride ourselves on the family atmosphere and the bonds that are created when guests return year after year. We all look forward to your many return visits to share and enjoy good times with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Just returned yesterday from five nights at Round Hill. It was our first time there and it was a really good choice for an easy, relaxing beach vacation. I would especially recommend it for families with young children. We arrived via direct flight and had the hotel arrange transfer. The driver (Clifford) was very gracious and friendly, and we were at the hotel within 30 minutes of the plane touching down.

The feeling of the hotel is, as other reviewers have described, old-world, relaxed elegance. Round Hill manages to be family friendly and perfect for little ones, while elegant and grown-up at the same time. We found other guests to be friendly and relaxed. Guests would often chat and it seems that many guests have made friends that they now see when returning each year, even coordinating return trips. However, it's all very low-key, so would be easy to keep to yourself as well if you wanted to just relax on your own.

Staff at the resort were friendly and seemed to genuinely love kids. Our three year old got lots of big smiles and high fives and he loved the attention.

We felt like our villa with semi-private pool (Room 44, Villa 6) was very good value for money (especially since we booked a low-season promo deal with one night free). The bedroom was not huge but there were very large and well-furnished open air spaces to enjoy. The architecture, the furnishings and artwork at the villa were gorgeous. Definitely felt like staying in someone's home rather than a hotel. The villa bathroom area felt like it could use an update, though it was perfectly serviceable. The villa's pool and setting was stunning, with sightlines to the setting sun over the ocean, and huge palms and rainforest plants all around. The lush landscaping means each villa is nestled into its own space, maintaining a feeling of privacy and of being in nature.

The process of selecting a room over the phone could have been a little more clear. We were hoping to get a separate sleeping area for our son, but in the end we were in the same bedroom. (I was told we could ensure two full bedrooms in the villa by going up a level but this was our of our desired budget. But from speaking to the agent, it seemed like there would be at least a partition between the two sleeping spaces in the villa we chose, and there was not.)

The staff at the villa were wonderful. We had the breakfast service at the villa, which was a highlight of the day. The breakfast/housekeeping/groundskeeping staff were so warm, friendly and personable, especially sweet with our 3 year old.

The food at the restaurants was fair to good--simple and fresh, and we never left a meal feeling hungry. But for the high 'resort' prices, it really did not feel like good value, and we grew weary of paying that much for meals by the end. Service at meals was often slow, and at times a little unfriendly, so that didn't help the feeling of poor value at mealtime. If we returned, I would plan to make a trip to a local supermarket and make lunch and snacks at the villa's kitchen.

There is a lovely complimentary afternoon tea time... I really looked forward to the delicious coffee and sandwiches and sweets each day.

We did have a bad experience with room service, that I share as an example of the level of service not being uniformly high. We were really let down when we tried to order my son a peanut butter sandwich on the last day before heading to the airport (afraid he'd be hungry if we couldn't get him something before boarding). Lunch should start at 11, which is when we called. They said it would take 45 minutes to get that sandwich made, so I asked that it be sent to the front desk since we'd be checking out, by no later than 1:45. It was not there at 1:45 and I had to make several calls while the taxi driver waited...all for a peanut butter sandwich! We had just paid our sizeable final bill for room and meals and so this was just not a great parting impression. Also there was an issue with our free night not being factored into the bill, which took some straightening out, so we left a bit grumpy, which was a shame given the nice time we’d had.

Beach and hotel pool were both incredibly beautiful and perfectly clean...a really relaxing setting, and would be one of the main reasons we'd return. The perfectly calm ocean was ideal for small children. The cove is so protected that there are literally no waves, so a parent can be completely at ease being with little ones in the shallow water. The pool's shallow area was also perfect for
little ones. The pool lifeguard was really friendly. At both pool and beach, someone always brought fresh towels within minutes of arriving.

A few more things to note if you go: this is a place where you are outside most of the time, and you are warm most of the time. In the villa, the A/C is a window unit and takes a while to cool down. Wasn't an issue for me or my hot-natured husband. But if you are used to visiting one of those big beach resorts with lots of cool marble-clad, icy interiors, this would be a different experience. Dress code does not allow for men to wear shorts at dinner service, and it's too hot for jeans or heavy trousers, so men should pack lots of lightweight trousers.

Overall it was a really good, if not perfect, experience. We had a lovely time, making some really nice memories, and we would consider staying at Round Hill again.

Room Tip: Villa 6 is fairly close to the beach...about a five minute walk and do-able with little ones. Though...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ExpatCatt
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing Round Hill and for staying in cottage 6. Thanks also for providing us with comments on your recent stay, both positive and those that need improvement. We are sorry that we did not live up to your expectations in these areas. We value your comments and will take the necessary correct action so that we can improve on our amenities/services. All of us are committed to improving on the quality of services/amenities. Please feel free to contact me if i can be of any assistance in booking a future stay with us.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have had the pleasure of visiting several hotels and villas in Jamaica for over 40 years; from the very mundane to the real classic and I have, in the last 4 years, travel to the island on average about 3 times per year. I tend to favour those hotels/villas where the staff are empowered to take immediate and remedial action to ensure ones stay is as enjoyable as possible. I found Round Hill to be proactive in that sense; where the staff are long stayers and have the confidence and experience to know that the 'customer comes first'; in ensuring and maintaining a high quality of service. I had scouted out this hotel just days before my daughter arrived on the island. It was recommended to me by a family member and I made an impromptu visit to look over the hotel before her arrival and was impressed with the reception I received from staff, particularly on the front desk. We spent the first 3 nights and the last 4 nights of my daughter's vacation at Round Hill to avoid the severe wintry January months in the UK. My daughter preferred looking out at the ocean, at dusk and at dawn, from the hotel room. I loved that too, but preferred the quaintness of the villa (which we stayed in towards the end of our vacation). We found it all very peaceful and relaxing and really helped us to unwind. The beach was unspoilt, quiet and relaxing and 'David' made sure that it was. We could not have had a better Concierge service without the support of 'Troy'. We cannot forget 'Nadine' who provided that sought after room service with all its splendour. Breakfast was in deed a pleasurable experience with 'Granville' greeting you at the top of the stairs with a very warm and pleasant smile. There was also a varied daily menu for either refreshments on the beach, at breakfast and dinner. Of course dinner was of the standard and cost we had expect from an establishment of this class and type. Based on the good hospitality we had received we could mention other names; but not least Omar and Josef, who worked hard and diligently, at the helm, to make sure everything was in place and our experience enjoyably memorable. My overall rating for the hotel is excellent. Unfortunately, we did not try the spa on this occasion. But we shall return! PAnderson

Room Tip: On our first visit, we had ocean view from the first floor which we found to be breath-takingingly b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing Round Hill for your vacation. We are committed to providing our guests with the most memorable and enjoyable Jamaican experience where the friendliness and attentiveness of our staff is paramount. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with us and look forward to welcoming you back year after year.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I went for a brief vacation in April. I have family in Jamaica and have stayed around the entire island. Jamaica is a beautiful place but I haven't loved the tourist experience there I find it too cheesy and Carnival Cruise ship version of culture.

Round Hill changed that. It is a lovely old world and elegant place. The staff is kind and attentive, the grounds are regal and lovely and the resort does an amazing job of entertaining yet allowing you to relax.

The resort is not close to anything. We did not leave the resort during our entire 4 day trip but we didn't feel we needed to. The food was truly delicious and had a variety of sources. I also found the prices to be very reasonable for the quality and the fact that they have you as captive because of the slight remoteness of the resort.

We stayed in the villa and would go again.

The only complaint was that there were A LOT of children and babies. I wasn't expecting so many kids, they were for the most part well behaved but I wouldn't have suspected it at such a refined place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iamheatseeker
Omar R, General Manager at Round Hill Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing Round Hill for your spring vacation. We are glad to hear that your wonderful experience with us has changed your views about Jamaica. Am sorry that you came at a time when we had more families staying with us. This is usually the case from mid February through April. We hope that you will visit us again, maybe outside that period when there is no so many small children. We look forward to your return visit.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

I didn't think we would enjoy ourselves as much as we did, but this place does low key luxe better than I've seen before. The pineapple rooms are superb, so much space and stunning views. Pool and beach are great. Afternoon tea was a triumph every day. Concierge helpful and staff on front desk (and GM) remembering names is always impressive in a big hotel. Never once felt busy even though it was, space used cleverly. Yes it is expensive but we didn't begrudge that for a moment, enjoy the splurge - especially when the standard room is so good. It's 60 years old and feels timeless but state of the art too

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for treating yourselves to a wonderful Round Hill stay, especially in our 60th year. We are delighted to hear your wonderful feedback and that we were able to make your stay a memorable one. We pride ourselves on knowing our guests and therefore, personalizing their holiday experience. We hope that you will come back and stay with us for many years to come.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just returned from 5 night stay. We went with our 16 month old. I have several requirements when looking for a place to stay--somewhere we can have a separate room for our son (light sleeper), great view since we spend a lot of time there during his naps, and babysitting. We stayed in villa 24, which was perfect. It has only a little slice of ocean view, but the gardens were so beautiful that hardly mattered. Waiting till April (low season) the cottages became more reasonable. It was definitely worth the splurge. Joy our housekeeper was so nice! The breakfast each morning was a highlight. Don't be scared to try the akee and salt fish, very good. Neil our gardner and Joy were great with our son. Having our own pool was great for us, especially to cool off when our son took a nap. We did do the Platinum Plan for food and drink, and I think we saved a little. Dinner was about $200 each night, cocktails $10, beer about $6. There was also a complimentary bottle of rum in our room, which we took full advantage of (got juice/punch to mix with from the bar). We had planned to use the nanny service more, but only used it for two nights so we could have a relaxing dinner. Enough to do that spending time with our little guy during the day was easy, and didn't feel like we were missing out on anything. We spent a lot of time at the main pool, which had a great baby pool. Many families with young kids, so didn't have to feel bad about your young one running all over. The kids menu was fine, although most things were fried. Did not have any problem with the more formal dinner time being 7:30. Often went to tea for a snack around 5:00, or could have a full meal at cocktail bar area anytime (which has beautiful ocean view too). We also brought a few toddler meals with us and lots of squeezer packets. Since we had a microwave and fridge at our cottage this filled in any gaps for him, along with leftover fruit and muffins from our breakfast. We requested milk ahead of time for our fridge too. Highchairs and crib was good also. The grounds are just gorgeous, even better than the pictures. We would take a golf cart ride each morning up to the tennis courts and walk back down to gawk at the beautiful flowers and other villas, or walk along the path to the spa area. It was very hot but air in the cottage was adequate. Only con we experienced was some construction going on behind us, which was pretty loud two of the afternoons. Not loud enough to bother our napping son, but loud enough to bother by napping husband! My only regret was not giving a hug to Joy before we left! Thanks for a great vacation!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing Round Hill for your family vacation and for staying in one of our beautiful
cottages. We are happy to hear the wonderful feedback provided on Joy & Neil. The delicious Jamaican breakfasts are a treat to wake up to, complimented by the aroma of Blue Mountain coffee. Both Joy & Neil are truly some of our stars that make us shine. We sincerely apologize for the noise which disturbed your husband's nap. We continuously make upgrades to the property, so that there is so much more for you to enjoy, so we look forward to welcoming you back to stay experience another villa or cottage 24, if you choose to.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Round Hill is beautiful, villas are spacious and clean. Food is fantastic and of great variety. Spa was peaceful and remote, and the treatments were fantastic. Pool and beach areas were beautiful, however, we could never seem to find someone to get us a towel. After it rains, all of the staff seem to disappear. Overall, the resort was beautiful and picture-perfect, but the staff was very unfriendly and indifferent.

Room Tip: Good tip, make sure there is no construction going on anywhere near your villa.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for providing us with feedback on your stay. We sincerely apologize for any unfriendly service encounter with any member of our staff, which is not in keeping with our customer service promise. We are totally committed to ongoing training and will use this as part our training to consistently improve on our service delivery. We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to create a more memorable vacation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopewell
Jamaica Inn
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#4 of 6 in Rose Hall
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,263 reviews

Been to Round Hill Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!