“Amazing food”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Visited here when I was camping and a group of 10 went there for a meal and none of us could fault the food or service. The waiter was really friendly and the food was very tasty and a good selection. I would definitely recommend it to others.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We popped in here by chance after a lovely day at Heligan, the restaurant is lovely and well spaced out so your are afforded your privacy. The serves was excellent the two staff members we very attentive and ensured we had everything we needed.

We had the duck and pancakes to start with between us which was lovely and unlike most restaurants they gave plenty of sauce, spring onions and cucumbers for all the pancakes lovely. Then my husband had the crab and prawn fishcakes which were lovely and fresh, his only comment would be that a bit more fish would have made them excellent. I however had the muscles in the garlic and white wine sauce, they were superb large fresh and tasty and the sauce was a meal in itself. We then umped and aaahed for the deserts and finally submitted he went for the bread and butter pudding which was lovely and I went for the chocolate and hazelnut pancakes which I could not do justice to after the lovely meal - too much chocolate would recommend this restaurant

Reviewed June 3, 2014

For many years this place had been the Schoolhouse Resteraunt, with a simple small choice of starters and mains all served near to perfection.

Under new ownership with a wide variety of Indian, Thai, Chinese and English dishes I did not what to expect.

My starter was a pile of prawn, avocado and crab, quite generous in size and taste fresh enough. Other members of my party tried scallops in butter and mussles in a wine sause, all looked pretty good.

For the main I tried the scampi, not feeling to adventurous. The chips were impressive, with a thick crusty coating, a but like the Heston Blumenthal recipe. But unfortunately they weren't that warm, and the scampi taste like it was grilled and not deep fried. I get the impression it had been waiting in the kitchen for 15 minutes while the chef cooked for the other members of my party who all had fillet steaks. I suppose that's better than sacrificing three fillet steaks to get the scampi warm.

I'll give it a three star rather than two because everyone else in my party seemed happier with the food than me.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We visited for dinner as a party of 13. The menu is extensive, too extensive! The poor waitress was working alone so the service wasn't great, although she did her best. At one point we were pouring our own drinks from the bar! The food looked okay but was delivered to the table cold, when sent back it arrived two minutes later obviously being reheated in the microwave. All in all not somewhere I would return.

1  Thank lisaled
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have just returned from a week at Pentewan Sands during which we visited Simply Judes twice. First visit on the Tuesday and the second on our last night as we were so impressed with the first visit.

Tuesday
The place was maybe half full but only because a table of 11 had arrived just before us. The personable waitress warned us that service maybe a little slow as she was on her own due ot staff sickness and there was a large family/party in tonight. We were about to up sticks but given the only alternative in Pentewan was the Ship Inn which during half term was always full of screaming kids we decided to bare with it. The menu is a mix of English(esk) starters, steak, Indian and Malay curries, Malay noodle bowls and English desserts. We had a variety of Indian and Malay curries and noodle bowls which we all agreed was nothing short of excellent. We were so enamoured with the place and the food we asked to see Jude to compliment her and her hard worked staff and said we would be coming back on the Friday for our final meal in the area. Based on the evening I was determined to go away and write a 5* glowing review about a hidden gem, wonderful staff, stunning food

Friday
I can only say what a let down.. Less people in the restaurant, more staff but a painfully slow evening. Half hour wait before the starter arrived and over an hour for the main. The food was so so and did not reflect the quality of earlier in the week. Given there was more staff and less custom we just couldn't figure out why service was so slow and the quality had slipped? To be fair we did receive a complimentary bottle of wine but we were not intending on drinking much as we were off early in the morning.

Had this been the only visit I would have given them 3 out of 5 and used words like shame, disappointment and OK.

Given the two experiences I can still say the quality of the good varies between OK and excellent (choose wisely and read the other reviews), the front of house staff (one at least) was fantastic but the gap between dishes was ridiculous and offering bottles of wine doesn't compensate for low service.