“A perfekt place to stay to do very good diving!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raja Ampat
Papua Paradise Eco Resort
Steinhausen, Switzerland
“A perfekt place to stay to do very good diving!”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The Bungalows are very lovely constructed with a balcony right in front of the sunset and aboth the fisch! The diveguides know a lot and lead very good. The food is always enought and good. The best of all I liked the people working for Papua Paradise. They are always happy, sing and lought a lot and playing around but still do there job!!

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Budapest
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We were here for a week with my wife. The resort is basicly a row of water bungalows. Walking on the coastal path can you reach the common dining water bungalow and a bit further on a larger pier you reach the diving center.
The bungalows have west/northwest orientation so you can enjoy the sunset every evening from your private terrace. You can see fish , rays , small sharks swimming in the water. The water bungalow is airy and open so the lack of air conditioning is not a problem. There is a standing fan and a double bed rotected with a light net. Only the first night was a bit unusual hearing the sound of the coastal waves from below , then we really got use to it, thinking back it was a great experience . Morning and night birds are crying and at night frogs are growling. In the evening walk on the beach the use of skin mosquito repellents is recommended, in the bungalows mosquito spiral was lit every evening and we got all kinds of repellents complimentary. I had no mosquito bites during the week.
The resort managers Chris and Lea are extremely kind people, they helped us in all questions. The food was delicious , it was in buffet-style. Chilled beer and soft drinks are in the restaurant with self-service/pay after system. Coffee / tea / hot chocolate is free.
I dived a lot and I can only say good . The unlimited package contains 4 dives/day. Local dive in the morning means two dives with a 15-20 minute fast boat trip and between the two dives resting on a local island with coffee / tea / cookies.
When the break is at the local village pier, it offers good snorkeling opportunity for UW photographers. There was two full day diving trip with big speed boat and three dives included in the price. One was Manta Sandy / Airborek jetty / and another one, the other was three dives at Kri / Mioskon.
Free Nitrox is included in the unlimited package. All the dives were in small/medium current. I really enjoyed here the night dives, maybe because I am UW photographer... The leader of the Dive center Bryan organized everything good. We came from Hungary, the other guests were from Switzerland and Italy.
Alltogether we felt ourselves very well , if you dont mind the long journey to Raja Ampat we can only recommend this Resort.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Papua Paradise resort is a great choice to explore the overwhelming beauty of Raja Ampat. The cabins are tastefully furnished and well cleaned every day, giving you the experience of connecting with nature. There is no air-conditioning, but that was fine with us, as there was natural airflow if opening all windows during the nights. A mobile ventilator was provided, but we would have preferred a ceiling ventilator. We liked the balcony of our cabin with a hammock and a beautiful view onto the water with different fish circulating. The resort is basically part of nature with close proximity both to the ocean and the rain forest. This includes the birds’ morning songs and the frogs’ evening concerts as well as encountering some geckos and bugs. The resort’s restaurant serves tasteful meals, freshly baked bread for breakfast, and fresh fruit for almost every meal. Chris and Leah, the general managers of this resort, were very supportive, as were all the staff members. We appreciated Chris’ and Leah’s company for meals, as they shared a lot of knowledge about nature, culture and other aspects of Indonesia, and particularly Raja Ampat.
The dive center was very well run. Bryan tried hard to make our wishes for diving at specific dive sites become true. Some guests complained that he did not consider their wishes appropriately, but they may have forgotten that at some places your wishes are taken into account far less and/or you need to make sure yourself that you are booked for a specific dive site on a first-come-first-serve basis. The guide to guest ratio was about 1:4. My grown up children and I enjoyed diving very much for ten days with the same guide Gede, who was at the resort temporarily only but who was a fantastic dive guide. Gede was very knowledgeable, and safety was a priority for him which I highly appreciated. Most of the dive sites were simply awesome both with regard to corals and fish. I have been diving on the Maldives, Fiji (Taveuni), Great Barrier Reef, Red Sea, but some of the dive sites in Raja Ampat simply topped them all with their beauty. In conclusion, it was a long journey from Europe to Papua Paradise Resort, but it was definitely worth getting here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travellersenjoy_11
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Our stay at Papua paradise is one we will never forget. From landing in sorong, to our departure 7 days later, we were looked after impeccably.
We first heard of raja ampat through work colleagues and started our research via internet; we were amazed at everything said about this diving wonderland an Papua Paradise looked perfect so we started our journey.
Even with high expectations, we were amazed and blown away by Papua Paradise: everything from the friendly service to the guided dives on incredible reefs. This place is special and so are the people who manage it. Their passion and devotion to the beautiful, untouched, remote paradise is inspiring. My partner and I have worked on Islands on the Great Barrier Reef and understand the island lifestyle and this was one place we didn't want to leave as the smiles, friendliness and enthusiasm for the area was outstanding.
If your looking for air conditioned gyms, pools and concrete buildings than you best stay in Bali. The environmentally low impact of this place is great and offers more than you need to be comfortable. Rooms are cleaned frequently without once seeing a cleaner, accommodation has amazing views with sharks, rays and fish life teaming below, food is great and has a huge range. The staff in the kitchen never fail to smile and give you the warmest of greetings, boat crew and dive guides do all the work for you to the point where you begin to feel lazy. The guides are passionate and knowledgable about the area, and do everything possible to ensure you have a memorable dive holiday.
This place lives up to it's reputation for the most diverse coral and fish in the world; We had high expectations and were still blown away. Every dive was different and even after 4 dives a day we still wanted to snorkel in the shallows. This is one special part of the world and we wish Leah and Chris all the best in their devotion to keeping it this way. An experience we will remember for ever.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Alexia_264
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at the resort for 10 days, Monday to Thursday, unlimited diving package. As a single woman traveler I am very cautious of choosing the resort to stay. The followings are my experience and what I encountered during my stay at the resort.

The diving was perfect. The dive sites around the resort have their own uniqueness and beauty. The dive guides are wonderful and each has his own personality in finding things for you to see.

The cottage is spacious and cool enough such that you do not need a/c. On the second Monday of my stay when there was a big group of new guests arriving there was no evening turn down on mine and my neighbor cottage.

The food is very good but beware if you are out on night dive. When I went out for night dives I came back to just scrap of food left to eat 2 out of my 3 night dives.

Now the event that marred the perfectness of my stay at the resort which I will have to go into personal detail to describe the event. There are 2 kind of day diving at the resort. Local dive which you go out at 8am for 2 morning dives which you will mostly spend surface intval at an island close to the dive sites and come back to the resort around noon for lunch. Then you have a choice to do the afteroon dive. The other is when you go out to a distance dive sites which you go out at 8am and come back to the resort at around 4pm. I felt my short was damp while walking back to the cottage after lunch on the second day of my stay which I went to the local dive sites. Back at the cottage while changing into new dry short and panty I smelled urine from the damped short and panty. At that time I thought that I must had sit on the chair which the cushion was wet by the previous person who sat there. On the eighth day of my stay I also went to local dive sites. After a quick rinse to go to lunch, when I was going to get my panty which I used during the night and put in my carry on luggage (to separate it from the new/unuse panty in my checked luggage) I noticed that it was damped. It also had urine smell which masked by vinegar smell. I went to the office and told Leah, one of the resort manager, to go to my cottage to investigate. I was told to have my lunch while she would go to my cottage. I met Chris, another manager, and told him about the incident on the way back to the cottage after lunch. At the cottage I did not see Leah so she must had already done looking into what had happened. But when I was going to get something from the night stand I noticed that there was cigarette ash on it. My reading light bulb was also loosen. The most scary incident is when I was going to use the toilet. When I lift the cover I found urinate stain on the toilet seat and in the toilet. For me, it seemed like someone had left the marked to let me know that he had been messing around in the cottage. I told Leah to have someone come to clean up the cottage while I went for the afternoon dive to clear my head. Was I scared? Yes, I definitely was. At first I was going to cut my stay short but then it would be just 2 more days and I also got support from my neighbor German/Dutch couple. Leah also told me that from then on the house keeping supervisor would be the one cleaning my cottage. After the afternoon dive I asked Chris about what he found out of the incident. His answer was "I don't know what to say. This is the first time thing like this has happened."

The German/Dutch couple also told me that they got the same answer I got when they reported that there were things missing in their cottage. I will not write about what were missing since it was not happened to me and hope that the couple would spare their time to write.

A copy of this writing will also be sent to the resort head quarter with my name and contact information.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Cathy--BKK
aspanu, Manager at Papua Paradise Eco Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Cathy,

Thank you for your feedback, and I am very glad you enjoyed your time here at Papua Paradise; it was really lovely to have you with us. I am also delighted to see that you have booked again to come and dive with us in February - we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back. I would like to address a few of the points you raised in your comments above for further clarification.

I was very sorry to hear that there were 2 nights when you went for a night dive and came back to the restaurant feeling that there was insufficient food left on the buffet. Diving and good food in abundance are both very important to us, and I appreciate your informing us of this matter so that we have been able to resolve the problem right away. I am glad you enjoyed the food here.

I understand that some distress was caused to you by the incident of your wet underpants. As you recall, as soon as you reported that this incident had occurred and requested a thorough investigation, we came to room, checked the pants, and checked all that you requested us to check very thoroughly. Deductions as to how the matter occurred were further complicated by the fact that it was rather evident that the underpants had been wet by someone wearing them, which made it difficult for us to state our thoughts on how the matter may have occurred. Of course we spoke to all housekeeping staff about the incident as per your request, but it was little difficult; as you do understand, we have never before had the occasion to accuse any of our male housekeeping staff of donning a pair of ladies underpants, wetting them, and then removing them. It is not for us to speculate how the incident may have come about, under the circumstances - the most important thing is that I do hope you understand and believe that we did all possible to alleviate your distress at the situation.

In response to your later reports about a piece of ash on the bed side table, etc, we immediately returned again to check you room, as you recall, and found that there was some ash from the mosquito coil on the bedside table, which must have blow up there with the breeze. It was evident that the lavatory had been used since Housekeeping had cleaned
the room that morning - once again it was very awkward for us deduce what had occurred, as no other staff member had been in your room up until the time you came from your room, to report the matter to us. We tried also to check, to the best of our ability whether someone had
slightly loosened the light bulb of your reading lamp, but things did still seem to be functioning normally.

As I mentioned before, it is difficult for us to state why these things occurred under the circumstances, but the most important thing to us was the understanding that you felt distressed. I truly do hope that the actions we took in personally investigating all of your inquiries, ensuring that the Head Supervisor of the Housekeeping Department personally attended to your room, and checking the matter thoroughly with you throughout the following days made you feel better.

It was lovely to have you stay with us, and I do hope that you took away from this trip some really great memories of the diving, and everything in between on our beautiful jungle island. I have noticed your Email that you wanted to come back February but that you are not able to come for the time being. We look forward to welcoming you on another occasion in the nearby future.

Best regards,
Leah Sindel

Resort Operations Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

What can I say. This resort is always one step ahead of the guests' needs and wishes. A flawless operation that provides a uniquely luxurious and natural diving holiday experience.

The bungalows have all the trimmings: gas hot water, a large fan that's quiet while having more than enough power to cool you while you sleep, a modern bathroom layout, and spacious balcony with sunbed, chairs and a glorious hammock. A mosquito net drapes the king size bed, and is brought out magically while you're at dinner by a set-down service. The actual construction of the bungalows is extremely sturdy, the photos don't quite capture this. They face out onto a remarkable view that has evening sunsets, mountains and reefs - seeing the odd tropical storm pass through was particularly special.

The cuisine served at meal times was varied and plentiful, including fresh bread rolls and delicious mini donuts baked on site - remarkable considering the remoteness.

The diving operation had everything thought through, leaving little for the guests to do except focus on the fun part - diving. The dive guides were world-class, giving attention to the different capabilities of divers and always gauging currents and conditions on arrival at sites. The boat crews were all local staff who were friendly while being professional and serious at the right times, e.g. operating the boat, exit and entry of divers. Upon getting back on the boat after a dive, before you knew it your dive gear was off you, you were wrapped in a fresh towel and a glass of water was in your hand.

The number and variety of reefs in the area had even the most experienced divers around us giddy with excitement. The selection within short distance is amazing, while other sites could be made as a day trip.
On a side note, there was a lady who was solely snorkelling, she seemed to be having a great time, so need not be a diver to experience the reefs.

My only general advice is that as it is very remote, you need to read all the information the resort emails you. Things like travel insurance, current health, flight details are important. We booked directly through the resort and then booked flights/ accommodation to get there, which is a fair amount of work. I'd recommend using find a travel agent who can handle the whole thing.

All in all, a great resort we would strongly recommend to others.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Many thanks to the Papua Paradise EcoResort team for what has to be my very best diving vacation ever! Everything was fine, from logistics to food to accommodation. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. I was also very lucky as a single traveler to find congenial guests and staff who welcomed me as part of the wider group. I will definitely consider another visit in the future, during manta season.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Agusta Eco Resort
Agusta Eco Resort
#1 of 1 in Waisai
Hamueco Dive Resort Raja Ampat

Been to Papua Paradise Eco Resort? Share your experiences!