“Paradise......But”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raja Ampat
Papua Paradise Eco Resort
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at the resort for 10 days, Monday to Thursday, unlimited diving package. As a single woman traveler I am very cautious of choosing the resort to stay. The followings are my experience and what I encountered during my stay at the resort.

The diving was perfect. The dive sites around the resort have their own uniqueness and beauty. The dive guides are wonderful and each has his own personality in finding things for you to see.

The cottage is spacious and cool enough such that you do not need a/c. On the second Monday of my stay when there was a big group of new guests arriving there was no evening turn down on mine and my neighbor cottage.

The food is very good but beware if you are out on night dive. When I went out for night dives I came back to just scrap of food left to eat 2 out of my 3 night dives.

Now the event that marred the perfectness of my stay at the resort which I will have to go into personal detail to describe the event. There are 2 kind of day diving at the resort. Local dive which you go out at 8am for 2 morning dives which you will mostly spend surface intval at an island close to the dive sites and come back to the resort around noon for lunch. Then you have a choice to do the afteroon dive. The other is when you go out to a distance dive sites which you go out at 8am and come back to the resort at around 4pm. I felt my short was damp while walking back to the cottage after lunch on the second day of my stay which I went to the local dive sites. Back at the cottage while changing into new dry short and panty I smelled urine from the damped short and panty. At that time I thought that I must had sit on the chair which the cushion was wet by the previous person who sat there. On the eighth day of my stay I also went to local dive sites. After a quick rinse to go to lunch, when I was going to get my panty which I used during the night and put in my carry on luggage (to separate it from the new/unuse panty in my checked luggage) I noticed that it was damped. It also had urine smell which masked by vinegar smell. I went to the office and told Leah, one of the resort manager, to go to my cottage to investigate. I was told to have my lunch while she would go to my cottage. I met Chris, another manager, and told him about the incident on the way back to the cottage after lunch. At the cottage I did not see Leah so she must had already done looking into what had happened. But when I was going to get something from the night stand I noticed that there was cigarette ash on it. My reading light bulb was also loosen. The most scary incident is when I was going to use the toilet. When I lift the cover I found urinate stain on the toilet seat and in the toilet. For me, it seemed like someone had left the marked to let me know that he had been messing around in the cottage. I told Leah to have someone come to clean up the cottage while I went for the afternoon dive to clear my head. Was I scared? Yes, I definitely was. At first I was going to cut my stay short but then it would be just 2 more days and I also got support from my neighbor German/Dutch couple. Leah also told me that from then on the house keeping supervisor would be the one cleaning my cottage. After the afternoon dive I asked Chris about what he found out of the incident. His answer was "I don't know what to say. This is the first time thing like this has happened."

The German/Dutch couple also told me that they got the same answer I got when they reported that there were things missing in their cottage. I will not write about what were missing since it was not happened to me and hope that the couple would spare their time to write.

A copy of this writing will also be sent to the resort head quarter with my name and contact information.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Cathy--BKK
aspanu, Manager at Papua Paradise Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Cathy,

Thank you for your feedback, and I am very glad you enjoyed your time here at Papua Paradise; it was really lovely to have you with us. I am also delighted to see that you have booked again to come and dive with us in February - we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back. I would like to address a few of the points you raised in your comments above for further clarification.

I was very sorry to hear that there were 2 nights when you went for a night dive and came back to the restaurant feeling that there was insufficient food left on the buffet. Diving and good food in abundance are both very important to us, and I appreciate your informing us of this matter so that we have been able to resolve the problem right away. I am glad you enjoyed the food here.

I understand that some distress was caused to you by the incident of your wet underpants. As you recall, as soon as you reported that this incident had occurred and requested a thorough investigation, we came to room, checked the pants, and checked all that you requested us to check very thoroughly. Deductions as to how the matter occurred were further complicated by the fact that it was rather evident that the underpants had been wet by someone wearing them, which made it difficult for us to state our thoughts on how the matter may have occurred. Of course we spoke to all housekeeping staff about the incident as per your request, but it was little difficult; as you do understand, we have never before had the occasion to accuse any of our male housekeeping staff of donning a pair of ladies underpants, wetting them, and then removing them. It is not for us to speculate how the incident may have come about, under the circumstances - the most important thing is that I do hope you understand and believe that we did all possible to alleviate your distress at the situation.

In response to your later reports about a piece of ash on the bed side table, etc, we immediately returned again to check you room, as you recall, and found that there was some ash from the mosquito coil on the bedside table, which must have blow up there with the breeze. It was evident that the lavatory had been used since Housekeeping had cleaned
the room that morning - once again it was very awkward for us deduce what had occurred, as no other staff member had been in your room up until the time you came from your room, to report the matter to us. We tried also to check, to the best of our ability whether someone had
slightly loosened the light bulb of your reading lamp, but things did still seem to be functioning normally.

As I mentioned before, it is difficult for us to state why these things occurred under the circumstances, but the most important thing to us was the understanding that you felt distressed. I truly do hope that the actions we took in personally investigating all of your inquiries, ensuring that the Head Supervisor of the Housekeeping Department personally attended to your room, and checking the matter thoroughly with you throughout the following days made you feel better.

It was lovely to have you stay with us, and I do hope that you took away from this trip some really great memories of the diving, and everything in between on our beautiful jungle island. I have noticed your Email that you wanted to come back February but that you are not able to come for the time being. We look forward to welcoming you on another occasion in the nearby future.

Best regards,
Leah Sindel

Resort Operations Manager

There are newer reviews for Papua Paradise Eco Resort

Reviewed October 7, 2013

What can I say. This resort is always one step ahead of the guests' needs and wishes. A flawless operation that provides a uniquely luxurious and natural diving holiday experience.

The bungalows have all the trimmings: gas hot water, a large fan that's quiet while having more than enough power to cool you while you sleep, a modern bathroom layout, and spacious balcony with sunbed, chairs and a glorious hammock. A mosquito net drapes the king size bed, and is brought out magically while you're at dinner by a set-down service. The actual construction of the bungalows is extremely sturdy, the photos don't quite capture this. They face out onto a remarkable view that has evening sunsets, mountains and reefs - seeing the odd tropical storm pass through was particularly special.

The cuisine served at meal times was varied and plentiful, including fresh bread rolls and delicious mini donuts baked on site - remarkable considering the remoteness.

The diving operation had everything thought through, leaving little for the guests to do except focus on the fun part - diving. The dive guides were world-class, giving attention to the different capabilities of divers and always gauging currents and conditions on arrival at sites. The boat crews were all local staff who were friendly while being professional and serious at the right times, e.g. operating the boat, exit and entry of divers. Upon getting back on the boat after a dive, before you knew it your dive gear was off you, you were wrapped in a fresh towel and a glass of water was in your hand.

The number and variety of reefs in the area had even the most experienced divers around us giddy with excitement. The selection within short distance is amazing, while other sites could be made as a day trip.
On a side note, there was a lady who was solely snorkelling, she seemed to be having a great time, so need not be a diver to experience the reefs.

My only general advice is that as it is very remote, you need to read all the information the resort emails you. Things like travel insurance, current health, flight details are important. We booked directly through the resort and then booked flights/ accommodation to get there, which is a fair amount of work. I'd recommend using find a travel agent who can handle the whole thing.

All in all, a great resort we would strongly recommend to others.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Many thanks to the Papua Paradise EcoResort team for what has to be my very best diving vacation ever! Everything was fine, from logistics to food to accommodation. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. I was also very lucky as a single traveler to find congenial guests and staff who welcomed me as part of the wider group. I will definitely consider another visit in the future, during manta season.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had a wonderful short break at Papua Paradise. The setting is magnificent - a balm to the soul after months of living in polluted, crowded Jakarta. The entire operation is very well run, from the airport pickup to the final drop off - not an easy feat in Indonesia! Leah and Chris, the managers, are warmly welcoming and professional. And kudos to the talented chef. His food is fresh, varied, and delicious; some of the best that we have had in Indo.

We merely snorkeled and found plenty to do. The biodiversity and beauty of the reefs is astounding; there is always something new to discover. Some advice for others: I recommend requesting your excursions as early as possible, especially if you don't dive, since the boats tend to be booked quickly. We were only able to join the Fam Islands trip (a must!) due to our short stay and delay in requesting.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sayvarelo
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Our trip to Papua Paradise was one of our best holidays ever. Not only the splendid and untouched reefs, but also the location is amazing. Close to the rainforrest with a incredible vieuw over the ocean from the waterbungalows.
In the morning you wake up hearing the Parrots and Hornbill birds flying over and from your bungalow balcony you just look into a bigg aquarium, even spotting young blacktip reefsharks!
Chris and Leah are running this Resort with such a enthusiasm, always friendly and helpfull . Thanks for the underwater photo tips Chris.
Also the Staff and dive guides do all the best to make each dive a great experience. Finally found with Ashley the pygmy seehorses . Food is great also for vegeterians like my wife, daily fresh brown bread and and rolls, lasagna, springrolls...a clear Italian touch in the kitchen.
For Nature lovers this is the place to be and experience diving Raja Ampat in a very comfortable way.We really want to come back in Manta season.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We are doing a westbound circumnavigation and over the last two years have been able to dive in The Tuamotus, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu,The Solomons, PNG, Raja Ampat/ Papua Paradise, Banda, and Wakatobi. We had an extended stay at Papua Paradise and dived on an as available basis. Our diving at Papua Paradise was among the very, very best of our experiences to date.

We were anchored in a wonderful spot nearby the resort and would dinghy over for diving, wonderful meals, and internet. Leah and Chris are amazing hosts, always helpful, gracious, and very interesting to boot. We each did over 30 dives and could not have been happier. The reported diversity and health of the coral is real and the variety and quantity of fish and animals is outstanding. The dive masters, Bryan, Ashley, and Deni go out of their way to customize each dive for your daily interests. It was a wonderful stay for us. The normal guests also seemed to be equally pleased with their experiences....nothing but WOWS as dive master Deni would say.

Room Tip: Stay as long as you can!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SVShango
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our trip to Papua Paradise was beyond compare! From the amazing peacefulness of the resort, to the incredible staff, to the diving that was unlike anything I have experienced in my life, our week could not have been better. 3 - 4 dives/day was not nearly enough to experience all of the diversity of these reefs. The dive masters were both safety minded and took great effort to locate all of the unique creatures to share with us. Got to see a manta ray, corals that stretched as far as the eye could see in VERY clear water, unbelievable amounts of fish, octopus, crabs, shrimp and eels. We even saw a sea snake! I can't wait to come back in manta season and see a school of these beautiful creatures and knowing that Raja Ampat is a ray and shark sanctuary makes me even more happy to support this area by visiting again. There isn't a "fitness center" or a "swimming pool" to rate but the house reefs surrounding the island are as clear as any swimming pool but with amazing snorkeling right off the docks on either side. My partner does not even dive and he thoroughly enjoyed just snorkeling the house reefs and seeing an enormous amount of sea life.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Waisai
TeraAilan Heritage Resort
TeraAilan Heritage Resort
#5 of 5 in Raja Ampat

Been to Papua Paradise Eco Resort? Share your experiences!