“rude Staff!!!!!!”

Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ware
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had an overnight stay for work , rooms could be better !!
To be honest the rooms are nicer at the holiday inn, can't beat the setting !! Beautiful grounds, staff are rude when paying 200 pounds a night you expect a little more, they refused to stoke the fire in the bar , being quite a large room it was freezing!!!! We resorted to try and warm ourselves up with a brandy only to be refused as it was after 11.30 and you were only aloud beer or wine!!!! Come on guys !!!! Must say there was a very helpful porter an English chap couldn't do enough for us , if it wasn't for him I would have refused to pay, in a nut shell...... To many foreign workers with no social or people skills just rude!!!!! I will be writing a letter to the CEO of Marriott highlighting my concerns

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Honesttraveller19
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. We are sorry that your stay was not up to your satisfaction.

Would you kindly contact me via private channels with your telephone number to enable our Director of Food and Beverage to speak to you personally.

Thank you.

Carol Selcuk
Executive Assistant

There are newer reviews for Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Very grand setting in one of the world top 100 gold course; period building and original deco inside; large enough swimming pool by hotel standard and fully equipped gym;

Multiple choices on restaurant - the usual choice of Grill is not bad; reception and room service are efficient and did well

One downside is the smell from the old Barn building in the middle of the complex, it smell like a barn and contaminate the air 100m radius around it, really horrible to walk by (good to look at) -can we do something about it pls!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel particularly the setting, interior and the service you encountered.

Concerning the smell from the old barn building you experienced. This is not a smell that has been reported before therefore I thank you for highlighting this to us. Following your comments our Director of Golf & Estates is looking into this as this should not be the case.

Conclusively, I would like to thank you very much for your feedback and I do hope that we will have the privilege of being of service to you once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed in room 0705, which was a room connected with a wedding that we were attending, not part of the main hotel. This was located a long distance from the main hotel, and we were offered a ride on a golf buggy, so we did not have to walk. The hotel member of staff escorted my wife and children to the accommodation block, whilst I followed in the car with the luggage. The hotel staff did not show us to the room itself, and generally pointed to it and promptly left. We did not know which door to get in to get to our room. Once we finally found our room, we were unimpressed. The room was not up to the standard for a 5 star hotel. The general impression of the room was tired and worn out, and the bathroom was a joke. The wedding itself was set in a conservatory, but the heat for many was overpowering, and I had to take my daughter out, as the heat was too much. There was no offer of air conditioning, which for a five star hotel seems silly. Included within our stay, was a car valet. I handed over my keys to reception, and when the car came back, it was dirtier than when it had gone. I commented that it looked like a bucket of water hand been tipped over it and brought back, to be asked "if I wanted it done again", to which a resounding 'no' was the answer. There were many little niggles, too many to mention. I would not recommend a stay in this part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel, not in the out building
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
HanburyManor, Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. It is our aim to make each individual stay special and exceptional. Thus I am disappointed to read that you only scored us a 2 out of a possible 5 as we feel short of this goal. It is always valuable to hear our guest’s point of view on what we are doing well and how we could improve.

My understanding is that you were allocated one of our Garden Court rooms. We do place a lot of our families in the Garden Court part of the estate and we generally get good comments. I was sorry to read that you were unimpressed. To make matters worse to hear that a member of my concierge team did not personally escort you to your room is unacceptable and I sincerely apologise.

With reference to your car valeting. I must admit I am absolutely astonished to hear your feedback and to be honest I am totally embarrassed. This is certainly not the level of service I expect to be delivered to my guests and I completely understand your irritation. As you would presume I have already spoken to my Front Office Manager to follow up with the team member who carried out the car valet. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I am truly sorry that you had too.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel so that we may have the opportunity to make your next stay with us an excellent one.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed in a junior suite for a birthday treat. The suite was in the original building, overlooking the front of the grounds. Fantastic large room with bay window and authentic furniture and decor. We had a champagne breakfast in our room which was lovely. The spa was great too and we treated ourselves to a massage or two. My only complaint is that if you don't like golf then your daily activities have to be out of the resort - not a terrible problem though as there are some nice villages nearby :)

Room Tip: Junior Suites can be expensive but worth it for a treat :) (unless you have lots of money...)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HotelGuest992

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your excellent review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I am delighted that you enjoyed our hotel particularly as you were here to celebrate such a special occasion.

It is so encouraging to read such positive comments with reference to your accommodation, your champagne breakfast and the spa. As you can imagine it will give me great pleasure to share this with the entire team.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

A very large, impressive main building, built with no expense spared in the 1890's in Jacobean style. Staff impeccable, food (Oaks Grill) very good. Gardens and grounds lovely plus golf course. We enjoyed the little leaflet that provided a 20 minute tour of the exterior - I now know what a cartouche is, and 'diaper brickwork'.

On the downside was the expense and the numerous extras they charged for - a family room comprised two doubles in an otherwise standard room: for the price, too small. The dinner package includes dinner at the Oaks Grill, but you pay an extra £15 if you choose a steak. A rather simple beef sandwich cost £7.50. Then the internet is £6 an hour, and the newspaper is charged. Seriously? On a package that cost over £320 in all, these rather silly charges do nothing for the Marriott brand.

I have a gripe too about drilling work on the site outside my window before 8am. Why can't hotels cope with holding that sort of work until a reasonable hour, or have the nous to make sure they check with guests beforehand whether this might be a problem?

Anyhow, on the stature of the building, the staff and the food, it still receives 4 stars, but will struggle to receive 5 on value.

Room Tip: Specify if you want view, and book by phone if you need a family room, not via the internet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank GusinLondon
HanburyManor, Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club and for awarding us 4 stars, for which I thank you. I am however disappointed that we could not make it excellent to allow you to award us 5 stars.

I was pleased to read your observations on the building, the staff and the food nonetheless I was extremely disappointed to read of the downside feedback. I understand that you were on an inclusive dinner package which included dinner in the Oakes Grill restaurant. However as you quite rightly pointed out if you wish to enjoy a steak from the grill a supplement will apply. This is similar at other properties.

With reference to the internet. Internet is chargeable in the bedrooms but we do offer complimentary internet access for all guests in our public areas. Saying this I will escalate your feedback on your behalf.

I am sorry for the noise disturbance you encountered at 8.00am in the morning. You have made a valid point with reference to informing the guest and I already spoken to our Front Office Manager.

Thank you once again and I do hope that we will have the occasion of being of service to you again in 2014.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I visited Hanbury Manor with my partner in March for a birthday treat. I found the hotel to be very clean and relaxing. The grounds were well maintained with very nice views. Also the weather was nice out so spent the afternoon sitting in the gardens in the sunshine which was very peaceful.

On arrival we were impressed with the room and location. The Oaks Grill restaurant manager was very welcoming and the food was of excellent standard. I was impressed.

However, i was suprised to see a mini bar in the room with no price list!! i requested a price list from reception however, this was not brought to the room as promised. Along with the coffee and tea facilities a packet of pringles, biscuits and two bottles of water were put out for guests. We were told by reception staff that these were complimentry. we did not take any drinks from the minibar due, to having no price list. On depature we was informed by reception staff that we would not be charged for the water, crisps because we were informed the previous night that these were not chargable.

Two days later my partner recived a letter from Hanbury Manor which included the cost of Pringles and water which, we were told was complimentary. We were in shock that Hanbury Manor had gone against what was promised and furthermore dissapointed that they had taken money out of our account without disscussing or clarifying the situation espescially when we were told by reception staff that no charge were applicable due, to the items being placed alongside tea/coffee facilities.

This situation had spoilt what could have been a good experience from a reputable company. I still find the situation bazaar you need to re- train reception staff to understand the meaning of good customer service as well as being clear about what items are or not chargeable. Also all mini bars shoud come with full price lists otherwise it is not clear what the customer is expected to pay.

Overall an enjoyable trip however, i remain unsatisfied with being charged £3,50 for a tiny packet of pringles and £7.60 for water that i believed to be complimentary following advise from reception staff.

Advice: Do not take recption staffs word clarify with management.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from reception are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LAUREN R
HanburyManor, Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club as a birthday treat. It was indeed pleasing to read that you were impressed with your accommodation and the food in the Oakes Grill restaurant.

Concerning the price list and charges for the mini bar. I must start by apologising that your request of a price list to be brought to your room from reception was not met. All of our prices are printed on a tent card next to the television channel. This should have been pointed out to you and I am sorry that this was not the case. You are quite right this should have been made clearer to you upon arrival. To make matters worse I understand that you were not informed that 2 bottles of water had been placed on the table in your room with our compliments and the water from the mini bar would be chargeable along with any other items that were consumed.

I would be most grateful if you could respond to Carol Selcuk, Executive Assistant,
through private channels so that I can ensure this issue is resolved and to your satisfaction.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

This is the second time my wife and I have spent a Pamper day the Hanbury Manor Spa. The location is easy to find from the A10/M25 and is impressive from the moment you enter the grounds.
We were greeted in Spa reception by enthusiastic staff who showed us around and explained where everything was - I had the bought the Pamper Day online including a £20 supplement for additional spa treatment - full body massage.

The changing rooms are roomy and the lockers secure with an electronic locking system. You receive a dressing gown and large towel for use whilst in the spa.

The gym has a range of modern equipment and although on the small side we were able to use the equipment without waiting. There are complimentary soft drinks and water and gym towels.

The Spa includes Large sauna cabin, steam room within the gents and ladies changing rooms, jacuzzi and large swimming pool with walk in steps at the shallow end. There are ample comfortable loungers and chairs around the pool.

We opted for a full body massage and this was a superb treat. After completing a health questionnaire - you meet your therapist and escorted to you treatment room. Lovely and warm, soft music and lighting add to the quiet ambience which is tranquil and relaxing. The full body massage was delightful and the masseuse was experienced and sorted out a couple of tense areas within my back and shoulders.

Upon completion my therapist gave me some advice and recommended some products to use.

There is a quiet area away from the pool with comfortable seating and free tea and coffee including herbal teas.

The changing rooms are clean and there are plenty of showers including ice cold ones outside the steam room - which is large and very steamy! There are complimentary shower gels, shampoo and conditioner, Hair dryers and electronic scales - everything you could need at the end of your visit.

All in all a very relaxing day (we spent 8 hours there altogether) no hassle, comfortable surroundings, pleasant well trained staff who want you to enjoy your stay. 10out of 10!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kermia105
HanburyManor, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience following your Pamper Day here at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club and it is indeed a pleasure to welcome you back.

I am absolutely elated to read such wonderful comments from the moment you arrived to the moment you departed and that we have once again exceeded your expectations. As you can imagine this will give me great pleasure and pride to share this with the entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many more years to come!

William Boulton-Smith
Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ware
Fanhams Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne
Tewin Bury Farm Hotel
Tewin Bury Farm Hotel
#1 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City

Been to Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!