Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ware
Reviewed February 1, 2014

my husband and I stayed one night. Wow what a place. The staff were extremely polite and friendly. Nothing was to much trouble.

Stayed in the Poles suite. Amazing I .never been in a room so big.
Breakfast was great. Had evening meal in Zodiac restaurant. Excellent.

Highly recommend this hotel

We will be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,712)

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night before flying out from Stansted (approx. 25 minutes away by car)
We paid for a package deal which included 3 course dinner and a spa treatment (50 minutes).
Overall we enjoyed, it was a short stay so we did not get to sample the entire grounds of the hotel. The spa was great and met our expectations for what a hotel spa could offer. Dinner was delicious, they added an additional charge for ordering a superior grade of steak. I did not think the additional expense matched the quality. The service was excellent throughout the hotel and were made to feel settled almost immediately. We enjoyed walking through the maze of corridors and whilst we were there enjoying the music of a wedding party. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. Being fussy I would suggest the curtains be changed due to some staining and parts of the bathroom were a little worn but this did not take anything away from the enjoyable stay we had .. we will return in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NALondon
General M, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. We are extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and had some lovely things to say about our hotel. It is so encouraging to read such positive comments with reference to the pleasant service you received from the hosts which I will share with them all.

I am absoultely delighted to read that we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future to allow us to showcase the Hanbury Manor experience once again that you have now come to know.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Great reception, helpful staff and top service
Bday celebration made even more special by attentive staff
Couldn't fault service at bar and restaurant!
Excellent breakfast, and it's worth trying out restaurant

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank czareena
General M, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for your fantastic review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club and for choosing us to celebrate your birthday. We are thrilled to learn that you felt so welcome in our hotel and that we were able to exceed your expectations and make your birthday a bit more special.

It is extremely encouraging to hear such kind words regarding my staff, breakfast and the service delivered to you during your time with us. I will make sure to pass these comments on to my entire team.

Thank you for leaving a review on TripAdvisor and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We attended a wedding at the Hanbury Manor and the customer service from all the staff we encountered was excellent. The rooms are like a little maze but we liked that. Our room was on the third floor and which is hidden away and was huge! Loved the bed and the bedding - slept like a log every night. The breakfast was included and we were very impressed - varied selection, kept fresh and hot. Didn't get a chance to use the pool area but some of our party did and they all said good things about it! The location and grounds are spectacular. We visited in dreary December but we still loved strolling in the grounds. We walked to the local pub for dinner which took about 20 minutes ( we got lost so do ask for directions as it was only 5 minute coming back!). I would recommend for couples, adults with older children. We loved looking around Ware and would return. It was not cheap but pretty good value for money in my opinion.

Room Tip: If you have walking difficulties do ask for a room near reception as they rooms are spread about dow...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Angela C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience following your attendance at a wedding held here at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club and for sharing your observations.

It is great that you had a prodigious stay with us particularly as you were here to join in such an amazing occasion. I cannot wait to share your review with the entire team.

Thank you once again for your comments and I am overjoyed that you will return when you are next around Ware. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is a big 4* hotel - and so comes with all the usual pros and cons. Good facilities, nice pool complex which small kids can use. Big rooms and comfy beds, linens and robes all fine. But...there were a lot of people staying there: 98% of 170 ish rooms full. I called reception a bunch of times for the various usual mundane requests and only got an answer once. A bunch of naughty teenagers running around the corridors at night - no answer at reception again, so I shouted at them myself, in my pants. The food in the Oakes Grill is very average - Caesar salad had browning lettuce, boquerones (note to chef - these do not work), and massive slices of baked baguette instead of croutons. Turbot main was tiny and could have been any white fish. Steaks were fairly good, I'd stick with these. Breakfast was usual lark with heatlamp safari and slightly tangy fruits in syrup - not exactly inspiring. And jars of peanut butter distributed throughout the display as if it were a strange and luxurious commodity. Strange. Egg chef was very friendly though. In sum - good for a mini break from London, but not particularly exciting.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank David M
General M, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. We are glad to hear that you had a nice stay with us, although disappointed that we could not make it excellent.

I was most troubled to read that you had called our reception on several occasions and you had only been responded to once. We have a system in place to ensure that the telephone is answered within 3 rings and what you have experienced is not our usual standard. I have investigated the matter and I understand this was due to the high occupancy in the hotel and the high levels of calls we were experiencing from a number of our guests. I am sorry for the difficulty you faced.

Regarding your comments on the food in the Oakes Grill restaurant. We ordinarily receive such high commentaries therefore I was surprised and disappointed to read that you felt the food was very mediocre and the breakfast the following morning was not exactly inspirational. I do appreciate your point of view and I will be sure to escalate this on your behalf.

Thank you once again for your comments, and I do hope to have the occasion to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Typical Marriott quality. Wouldn't expect anything but comfort. Arranged for a bunch of flowers, chocs and wine for the wife on arrival. All were in place and of good quality. Main restaurant was unfortunately closed so we had to go to the Oak grill which was a little disappointing but the food was acceptable. The breakfast in the morning was varied and the service was good. The spa is limited with a sauna, pool and small jacuzzi but was sufficient for us as the centre was fairly empty on the Wednesday. The massages we had though were excellent. A good place to chill as long as there are no kids or hen parties. Overall a good place to stay and would return.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave186305
General M, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and had some lovely things to say about the hotel. I will make sure to pass these comments on to my entire team.

It is fantastic to read that you had a great stay and that you would return to once again enjoy the Hanbury Manor experience.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was sent to this hotel on a yearly business conference for the weekend. My understanding is that the company I work for uses this hotel every year due to the highest overall standards that the hotel maintains. This was in no doubt and although the gannet in me frowned on the tiny nibbles that were presented at lunch and the A La Carté portions that formed part of our 3 course meal, I understood that this was probably more of a reflection on me and my genuine need to get out and eat something other than huge portions of indian take aways. We had a free bar for the majority of the evening with a great selection of drinks, but as soon as this finished, pricing was over a fiver for a pint which on a Saturday before January payday, was a little too much.

The problem with this hotel for me, is that you genuinely need an AA map to get around it.

As we checked in the receptionist asked us if we would like directions to our room. "Can't be too difficult." I thought. Oh, how wrong I was.
"Oh go on then, yes please." We replied.

5 minutes later we were still standing at the reception desk, now with rather quizzical looks fixed on our face, attempting to confirm whether we took the second lift to the third floor or the first lift to the second floor, and at which point we had to turn 360 degrees, clap our hands and pass the leprechaun with his pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It really was that difficult. On the way to our room and after getting hopelessly lost, we located a member of staff and attempted to retrieve directions to our room from him. Unfortunately, it seemed that he was as lost as us as his directions sent us back to where we had started. We ended walking aimlessly around trying to find clues, signs or hope and regularly spotted other guests looking lost, bewildered and yet also as mildly amused as we were shouting "No!! It must be this way!!! It's got to be!!!" I suspect that some of them are still lost in the corridors of Hanbury Manor. A couple of words of advice? GET DRUNK!! Even at the bars expensive pricing, it is well worth it and your drunken senses will get you back to your room a lot more quicker than using sober and logical sense would. The same could be said for checking out and attempting to leave the hotel. If you are not careful, it is very probable that you will get lost in the grounds and be found years later having lived off squirrels and berries.

The rooms were clean, tidy, and traditionally decorated. Judging by our colleagues rooms, I think we had an upgrade as there was a dining table sat in the middle of our room. The bed is one of the comfiest I have been in, and the added touches such as the L'Ocittane and the dressing gowns (which I really wanted to take home with me) were lovely.

Breakfast was served in a separate room due to the size of our party, and was up there with Hilton Breakfast quality, with a lovely selection of hot and cold breakfasts.

I'm highly unlikely to visit this hotel again on a personal basis, just because the hotel location isn't somewhere I'd particularly be interested in having a mini break. However, if you are planning a wedding, a conference or want a romantic weekend away, I'd recommend you give the hotel a go.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ultrazonixe
General M, General Manager at Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your experience following your business conference at Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club. I was so pleased to hear that we have had the pleasure of welcoming your company back to the hotel once again and I fully appreciate your invaluable time spent in providing your outlook on your first visit.

With regards to the prices charged for drinks following the termination of the free bar. We are in line with other properties and we do benchmark ourselves regularly to make sure we are in line. Saying this I have raised your view with the Director of Food & Beverage.

I was concerned to read of the inconvenience that you encountered with regards to the location of your room. We do hand out an estate guide map upon check in however I must apologise if the directions were not made clear enough to you. I have of course noted your commentaries and will escalate your opinion on your behalf.

It was indeed pleasing that you found our Marriott bed one of the comfiest you have slept in and your positive comments regarding the breakfast.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again on a personal basis to allow us to be of service to you once again.

Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ware
Fanhams Hall Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Premier Inn Ware Hotel

Been to Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!