“Simply not great for the money......very poor overall.”

Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ware
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Simply not great for the money......very poor overall.”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were booked here for two nights. So disappointed we only stayed one night. This place definitely has a 'wow' factor when you pull up, but it goes downhill quickly from then on.
Valet parking was the only option - but they parked our car outside the main hotel building when our room was in an annex a few minutes walk away. Signposting was terrible - trying to find our room, exits, Vardons bar etc was difficult (and we are not thick).
Vardons bar is very poor - think newly refurbished Wetherspoons premises with highly inflated prices. The 'cocktail bar' in the Oak Hall is just too staid and old fashioned to appeal to a younger audience.
Breakfast on the terrace at the Oakes Grill (on a lovely sunny day) was the best bit of the stay - although a very undercooked boiled egg had to be sent back.
Overall it was just terrible for the money - our benchmark is the Marriott in Norwich (Sprowston Manor) and this Ware establishment does not come close.
We would have fed this back at checkout - but nobody asked how we had enjoyed our stay!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We had stayed only for one night instead of 3 nights. The place is isolated and clean. The room is okay for 2 double beds for 2 adults and 2 children. The bed needs to replace is hard. Premier inn bed is much better soft and comfortable. We didn't try the restaurant but my family try the swimming pool. They had smelled something which is not nice around. The staff they are all friendly . I would not recommend to stay if you don't have a car. I would prefer to stay another hotel with better location and soft bed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Critic138
Cowes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a truly great hotel for the out of town meeting.
The staff and facilities are truly fantastic. If you are a golfer there is a wonderful golf course, so my colleagues tell me!
My room (608) in the garden wing was of a good size with the usual facilities you expect at a Marriott. Although I was only there one night and not in the room much, it was clean, today and spacious with a good size bathroom.
The bed was extremely comfortable and I slept well.
The is a great traditional bar in the main hotel with a good ambiance for that night cap.
I will be back and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bryan D
England
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We were celebrating my fiancee's 30th Birthday and decided we wanted to just have a nice chillout weekend and I had looked at this hotel as a wedding venue previously so decided to book one nights stay. The deals they have are great, a nights stay in a lovely hotel with spa and 2 treatments and breakfast for £175, we purchased dinner and other treatments separately.

I have to say the staff were fantastic, from the call I received prior to the visit who made us a reservation for dinner and allocated us one of the largest rooms available and upgraded our room to the Manor House for £20 (which if you stay you really should do it is worth it) to the staff at the Oaks restaurant especially Vladmir. He made us feel really special and took initiative with offering us complementary champagne on arrival and bringing out a candle in the dessert and singing happy birthday without me having to request it. He also told us about the breakfast and how busy it can get if we would rather not queue, he went out of his way and we had a really enjoyable experience. The hotel is beautiful but the staff at the hotel were brilliant making it the really 5 star experience and I would really recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to celebrate a wedding, birthday or honeymoon. the room we had was lovely and we are pleased we could not hear the wedding party that was going on that night, the room was well allocated.

We also used the spa, the treatments were great both ladies were brilliant and made us feel very relaxed, my only complaint is there is just not enough seating areas in the spa, this was one of our main reasons for booking the hotel and I was disappointed I had to hang around to try find somewhere to sit between treatments. However there were quite a few hen parties, baby showers and weddings going on that weekend so this may be part of the reason why it was so busy, not to mention that it was a lovely sunny weekend and they are a country club so I can imagine it might have been busy then usual.

We also took a walk around the gardens, I would recommend doing it if the weather is nice and even the golf course and driving range looked good, my other half was upset he hadn't bought his clubs with him. It is a great setting for the hotel and I did come away feeling like I had gone away longer then one night. I could not find any real faults with the hotel and we had a great experience and I would defiantly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Stay in the Manor House, it is worth the little bit extra, we were in 226 which is a nice large room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bee27
Devon UK
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We attended for a family wedding, it is a huge hotel and my elderly guests were soon lost. The hotel offered to move their room for them, then lost their original room, did not move them and finally at 3am another room was found for them- after walking into another roomnwith guests sleeping (with the night manager by mistake)- quite farcical. Not something we ever want to repeat, but an apology during the night was given, no reference was made in the morning- I was determined not to spoil the wedding, but do think an apology could have been given in the morning and more attention othe problem- I have simplified this to shorten the lenght of thisvreview, but it was a terrible experience- with elderly parents in tears as all there luggage could not be found. ( The date we visited was not available to chose below)

Room Tip: Beautiful hotel and surroundings, ask for rooms together or not too far from reception. A must for e...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed in this gorgeous hotel on Saturday 27th April for 1 night as a surprise for my partner and I couldn't not leave a review for this place!
Firstly the hotel phoned me before the date to make sure everything was ok etc which I thought was a nice touch.
I had asked to be in a room away from any of the function rooms and to be in the main manor house. Which I did pay an extra £20 (very resonable) for.
When we arrived the car was taken by the lovely suited and booted valet parker.
Check in took 5 minutes!!!
To my surprise the hotel had put me and my partner in a suite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was stunning!!
the hotel had also left a pretty little cake for my partner and a nice welcome hand written card for us!
Can't complain at all about the spa/swimming pool! what a gorgeous area to relax in! there wasnt to many children which was nice.
We had a massage each - very nice :) my partner feel asleep so that always means a good thing!
we then had our dinner in the Zodiac fine dinnning restaurant! Well what can i say! WOW
food was AMAZING!!!!!!!! very resonable as well.
drinks very expensive but I had prepared for that after doing my research on trip advisor so cant complain really, plus I had brought bottles of champers with us so we were happy to go back to our massive suite and celebrate!!

overall a fantastic hotel where nothing went wrong! beautiful grounds and stunning building!!
I will be telling people about this for years!

Thanks Hanbury Manor for making my partners birthday a special one!

Room Tip: A room in the main manor house is best if you wish to walk to the spa in your dressing gown and slip...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had brilliant value for a one night spa break which included dinner, bed breakfast and lunch before departure. We asked for and were given a superb room in the Mansion House overlooking the Golf Course. Unfortunately the weather outside was freezing and there was a problem with the radiator but the staff could not have been nicer about it and quickly moved us to an equally good room. Dinner in the Zodiac room was relaxing and breakfast and lunch in the Oaks room was of a high standard with plenty of friendly and efficient staff on hand. The spa treatment was exceptionally good and when we left the the concierge had our car standing by the front door. What more could you want from a hotel?

Room Tip: It really is worth paying for a room in the Mansion House if you want to make the most of your stay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ware
Sopwell House
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!