“Terrible service - no follow-up from management”

Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ware
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on Christmas day 2012. We arrived at around 2pm and immediately left to spend the day with family. We arrived back at the hotel in the evening and decided to have some champagne in the bar as a nightcap. The staff couldn't have been less attentive. It was impossible to catch someone's eye - despite the fact that there were several staff milling around, they seemed intent on not making eye contact with the guests. My husband had to go and find staff to order the two rounds of drinks we had, and then get up a third time to find someone to get the bill. The room was pretty (a suite), and the view was lovely too, but I was disappointed that the champagne and welcome canapes (part of the package) were not in the room for our arrival -and in fact we never did receive them. The receptionist on our arrival told me that they weren't yet in the room (strangely), and asked when it would be convenient to deliver them. I said it would be fine anytime, as we would be out for the rest of the day, but when we returned in the evening, they still hadn't been delivered. Usually, in a luxury hotel, if you book a package including welcome champagne, etc., this would be in the room already (as the 'welcome' suggests), the guests shouldn't have to call to track this down.... I brought this to the attention of the desk on our departure (along with the dreadful, begrudging service we received in the bar) and asked if the manager would contact me. He/she didn't. I wrote to Marriott to give them feedback on our stay, and didn't get a response from them either. It's such a pity because it really is a very pretty hotel, and as we have family nearby we would have loved to be able to choose this for future trips to the UK.

1  Thank Airhostess85
There are newer reviews for Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights between Christmas and New Year. Our room was in the main house and we found it to be spacious, clean and tidy with an extremely comfy bed. The staff were helpful, and the check in / out process was simple and efficient. We found that there were plenty of visible staff which is always helpful.

We had afternoon tea, served in the bar opposite reception, which we found to be a relaxing location, complete with a log fire.

Along with some other reviews, we too found the cost of drinks very high - £25 for two cocktails is an expensive evening in!

2  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed January 10, 2013

As a gift from a friend, I recently visited Hanbury Manor. I was looking forward to an environment to properly wind down in, and I was not disappointed.

I had a 25minute neck, shoulder and back massage in the spa and the therapist did a great job. The spa is located next to the pool area, where you can also lounge in a spa dressing gown and dip in and out of the jacuzzi and pool. I am a trained therapist and would say that their treatment prices are not in the high street price bracket (Hanbury facials approx £60) but it is more luxurious than anything you'd find on the high street.

Dogs are allowed to come along for a small charge of £40.

Drinks in the bar were very expensive, £9.50 for a large house red.

Room Tip: You can take your dog!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank doobuzz
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Went here for afternoon tea. Nice location and room but the overall experience is nothing to get excited about. £24 pp for afternoon tea which for two consisted of a pot of tea, 3 scones with jam and clotted cream, 4 finger sandwiches and half a dozen pastries. We asked for more sandwiches as there was not enough savoury. Cakes/sandwiches were fresh and tasty, tea was very strong, no pot of water was supplied. Service was OK, friendly although they appeared reluctant to top you up and you had to ask for any additional items.

Best stick to Claridges.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I decided to do something for New Year's eve this time, rather than stay in, so we picked one of the very few places that still had room available. There were 3 different parties (all at different price levels) and we picked the middle one (Pole room).

We booked a room for the night as well, which was nice enough but away from the main building. A golf cart with driver was available to drive us between the main building and rooms so this was no real problem. Unfortunately I dropped my posh trousers in one of the many puddles in front of the building, but the hotel dried it and ironed it for free and had it delivered to my room within the hour, just in time for the party.

The party itself was good. Nice tables, decent band, but the dance floor was a bit small and very crowded. The food was quite nice as well, but strangely no drinks were included in the price so we had to buy a separate bottle of wine, which was quite pricey.

Another reviewer wrote "The canapés were harder to track down than Osama Bin Laden". I couldn't agree more and the same was true for the champagne, which never made it more than 2 meters into the room before the tray was empty.

At midnight there were some nice fireworks which everyone seemed to enjoy.

I loved the breakfast, which was included in the price. The buildings and surroundings were very nice as well.

There were a few 'mystery items' on the bill we received by mail a few days later. Only a few pounds so did not bother to chase them.

All in all it was quite pricey for what we got, but I did not regret the experience.

1  Thank JRSA123
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Decided to go here for afternoon tea as a birthday treat. The service was good very attentive. The tea was very strong and within minutes difficult to drink in hindsight I should have asked for hot water. The sandwiches were nice ( except the cucumber, but that's my personal taste) however far too small and had to ask for more. Given the price £24.00 per head I expected a bit more, and where was the harpist ? Waitress came before we were finished to take the the cake stand away as they had run out ,which seemed a bit odd. Don,t think I recommend there are plenty more places to try that are better value.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We decided to try out the New Year's Eve party and stay the night (even though we live less than 2 miles away)

We purchased 2 tickets for the poles hall event at a cost of £238 and booked a garden court room for £150

First of all the room. The garden court is away from the main hotel but the size of the room is very good and it's quite nicely decorated.

You can request a golf buggy to take you to and from the main hotel or it's a pleasant 4 minute walk through the gardens.

Regarding the New Year's Eve party, this was a huge disappointment. The canapés were harder the track down than Osama Bin Laden, 1 each was our lot!!

When we finally got into poles hall, we found that not one of our waiters could speak English and eventually we had to request a bottle of red wine from the rather stretched lady that was trying to organise the clearly confused waiters.

The food was at best the quality of an average restaurant which did not match the price of the tickets in any way.

The whole evening lacked any real atmosphere that with some effort in nice surroundings could have been achieved.

Overall, a very poor New Year's Eve experience.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank malcolmmaclean
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ware
Fanhams Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne
Tewin Bury Farm Hotel
Tewin Bury Farm Hotel
#1 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City

Been to Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!