“Lake Toba”

Book In Advance
More Info
$70.00*
and up
Private Tour: Karo Highlands and Lake Toba from...
Reviewed July 22, 2012

A wonderful place, great people, value for money and a unique experience

1  Thank Airbres
"volcanic eruption"
"speed boat"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I enjoyed a couple of nights in Tuk Tuk at the Hotel Carolina with my family.Hotel is pretty good but fairly basic, but the restaurant was great and the location excellent. The lake is fine for swimming - also did some snorkelling but nothing to see but small fish and rocks that shelve deeply out of sight. Local scenery and views are spectaclar, people are generally friendly. We drove up to Pangururan and over the bridge to the hot springs. Sadly the locals have ruined these by piping all the water from high up to their own private pools, and turning the old river bed into a rubbish dump, so give this a miss. For someone from the UK, the humidity was lower than Indonesian average, so quite welcome - the lake is 906m bove sea level and there;s plenty of info about the volcanic history of the region from other sources.

2  Thank Adam B
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed in the lake for one night at Horas family home. Owner really tries his best to make you feel comfortable. It was sunny but not hot. For muslim, you'll need to get used to the friendly dogs and puppies. Beautiful view of the hills, its true when people say time stops here. Try the hot bath, quite far but worth it.

2  Thank scrollover
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The lake was gorgeous when you could see it well. There was a lot of burning going on and the haze from the smoke made it so you couldn't even see the other side of the lake. It rained the second day we were there and after that the visibility was better and the lake was much prettier. While the land was smoky the people are smoky too. We hired toba transporter for 1,100,000 INR round trip. The cars were nice. We had two different drivers. We had read it took 3-4 hours but we found out it now takes 4-5 hours as the drivers wanted to stop every hour for a 15 minutes smoking break. One driver even lit up a cigarette in the car with our 2 year old and 3 month old baby. Our driver on the way back took us to the wrong hotel in Medan and then blamed us for not telling him the hotel name. We had told him the hotel name when we first got in and he never asked us again to clarify. He was really rude about it and started screaming at us. We felt very unimpressed with toba transporters drivers as they were rude and needed to smoke so much. I am not sure if there is much better as almost all the men in North Sumatra smoke like chimneys. We loved the lake when it was clear but hated the smoke from the fire and the cigarettes.

7  Thank Dixon G
See more reviews
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I think that weather plays a major role in reviewing this lake. In reading the reviews of others, I feel like the lake can be stunning and inspiring. For me however, it seemed somewhat gloomy and characterless under grey and sometime rainy skies. The town of tuk-tuk wasn't anything special, and the entire area felt quiet and depressed during my time there. I wasn't alone in this opinion, as it seemed to be what everyone was thinking. I stuck around for a few days to see if things would change, but I left with basically my first underwhelming impression solidified. The locals are friendly and happy folks, but I'm not sure that I can suggest a visit to anyone either well-traveled or with the unfortunate luck of coming in the grey season. On the bright side, my stay at Bagus Bay hotel was good, and Danau Toba is infinitely better than Medan! Do yourself a favor and head to Sulawesi & Eastern Indonesia.

For anyone considering this as a day trip - that's not really feasible. You'll need to spend a day or two here to really make the trip worthwhile. You can get direct vans from Samosir to Bukit Lawang, and also to Medan.

4  Thank Vinay R