“Poor quality food”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Went to treat my dad for his birthday so ordered the more expensive meals. Steak had huge grains of fat running through it and other meals ordered were very disapointing......never again!

1  Thank Missymoo75
There are newer reviews for Hunters Moon

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My Dining Companion and I had both received mixed reviews of the Hunters Moon. The only experience I care about is mine and it was a perfect evening. The weather outside was foul - cold, wet & windy - but the reception inside was warm and welcoming. The Bar Staff immediately made us feel at home and we enjoyed a pint of Old Speckled Hen. After deciding on our meals, back to the bar & ordering was easy and again, superbly friendly staff. In a most reasonable period of time the meals arrived. I chose one of my very favourites - lamb shank - which was absolutely superbly cooked and presented. There was a serious portion of creamy mash, flavoursome mint gravy, peas, a flat mushroom and 2 yorkies. The copious quantity of meat just fell off the bone and was a dream to eat. The yorkies were rather tough and I would suspect that they had been microwaved rather than cooked (or warmed up) in the oven. Microwaves and anything flour based do not go together - ever. Ally had the Smothered 9oz (Rump) Steak Sizzler - cooked medium. It was perfectly cooked and in the end proved slightly too large to complete! A well chilled bottle of Pinot Grigio was an excellent accompaniment. Lamb @ £8.59, Steak @ £9.39, Pinot @ £8.99 = excellent value for money. The Huinters Moon was fairly busy for a Tuesday Night with families - not surprising when the Tuesday Special Deal was "kids eat for £1". There was a menu extra with daily specials - even though the main menu is massive! The prices are very competetive indeed and are a credit to The Hungry Horse franchise which is part of Green King Brewery. Would I go again - you betcha - there's loads more on the menu I want to try! The moral of the story is "don't believe everything you hear or read" - If I had done that I wouldn't have had as good a lamb shank as I have ever enjoyed. Well done eveyone at The Hunters Moon - I'll be back

Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was our first visit to the old Hunters Moon which has now been changed into a Hungry Horse. We were pleasantly suprised by the decor and seemingly warm atmosphere on arrival, and our kids played in the childrens area while we perused the menu.

Our first clue as to the quality of the food was when the waitress almost beat my husband back from the bar ( where he'd just ordered our meal) with my starter! I had chicken satay which was a skewer of tastless, obviously microwaved chicken with an undescribable sauce, we both sampled one piece and left the rest.

Our main courses arrived with what looked like reheated chips, day old reheated baked potato and the toughest steak i've ever eaten. Our dessert arrived and we were informed that their was a problem with the freezers so the ice cream on our desserts was like mush - funny they didn't tell us this when we ordered - I actually think the desserts were left plated up sitting in the kitchen for too long.

To round up, this old pub has been turned into a nice bar/restaurant - shame the food lets its down-unfortunately we won't be back!

1  Thank MaznDaz96
Reviewed December 30, 2012

the booth near the kitchen smelt of wee and you had a really cold draught there, this was table 1, staff were friendly

1  Thank baileysclan
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Went here today out of curiosity. Had driven past Hungry Horse pubs before and wondered what they were like.

When we arrived we walked to the right of the pub and sat down at a table. We were met with awkward stares from the old men near the bar, clearly the regulars. We promptly moved to the other side of the pub which is the family area, where the atmosphere was much more welcoming! Not sure what the problem was the other side, we are a young couple in our twenties and we didn't have kids in tow.

We ordered two dishes from the Big Plate Specials section of the menu. Yes the plates were big but the portions themselves were about average. I had the burrito with vegetable chilli filling. It was supposed to come with Mexican rice but actually came with pilau rice, and the included nachos were so chewy they were like eating rubber. The salad looked sorry for itself, very dry and browning. And the corn on the cob was the smallest I had ever seen, and this was brown too. The burrito itself was lovely though.

My partner ordered the 'crispy chicken breast' which was interesting upon arrival. A large, flat blob of chicken arrived - not sure which chicken they took this breast from, must have been some kind of huge but also quite slim mutant chicken! Interesting. The chips were strips of grease, barely any actual potato there. If you squeezed them, the grease came pouring out. As for the onion rings, well they were just vile. They looked, smelt and tasted disgusting. We were thankful that we hadn't ordered the '20 onion ring stacker' as a starter.

We'd ordered the big plate specials which were more expensive than the rest of the menu - my burrito costed £8.99. I dread to think what the quality of the cheaper stuff is like!

Overall the food was poor, the atmosphere was okay (in the family section!) and the service was average. I don't think we'll be returning, Hungry Horse have got a lot of catching up to do - Wetherspoons is the same type of budget eatery but they are miles ahead in terms of quality and value for money.

1  Thank Twiglet88