“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Lawrenz
sussex
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel on Gozo, it was a lovely hotel, when you walked into reception it was an oasis of calm, nothing was to much trouble for the staff and you were spoilt for choice at the breakfast buffet. Our first night was disrupted due to power failure and the generator was outside our room, we were moved the next day to an upgraded room no problem. We liked the fact that a complimentary mini bus was runing to several destinations each day, all in all one of the best hotels we have stayed in.

Room Tip: Most rooms are really good
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RenzoKnight, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz, responded to this review, July 18, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences.

It was with great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and that almost everything was to your satisfaction.

It is always important for us to receive constructive criticism and praise in order for us to take the appropriate action. Our main intention is to make our guest’s stay as comfortable as possible whilst away from home.

Thank you once again for your time. On behalf of my team I look forward to welcoming you once more to the Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz in the near future.

Sven Fritzsche

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
west mids
Reviewed June 26, 2013

just arrived back from this hotel (june 2013).it states that its five star , and its not wrong , this hotel really is an amazing hotel , really peaceful and great settings.staff couldn't have helped more. lovely wine bar and two great resturants.many many thanks to the staff and management.
pools were clean and very well maintained.this is not an expensive hotel and together with 5 star quality , also value for money.

Room Tip: wish we had taken our drivers license,nothing to detract from hotel ,but, gozo isn't as small an...

Malta
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I think that this hotel is truly worth its 5 stars... the rooms are large and comfortable and nicely decorated... The SPA is lovely and the services there are top notch. there are three lovely swimming pools but unfortunately i couldn't swim outside as it was windy, though i would have loved to have a dip. The breakfast is lovely...there is truly everything you would wish...and they even offer Maltese specialties like Mqaret which are a nice advert to Maltese culinary delights! will definitely be back!

1 Thank malteseglobetotter

Glasgow Scotland
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Firstly can I say that this was not by any stretch an expensive hotel to stay at and Gozo is well worth a visit.
I had booked a superior country view room (don't think rolling hills and leaping lambs more hotel entrance and car park ) through the Thomas Cook Group. On arrival I was offered a free upgrade and for an extra total cost of 420 euros upgraded my upgrade to a Delux junior suite. Total cost for 7 nights with breakfast of really only about 200 euros per night. So for this standard the Kempinski is really good value.
Staff were all very friendly and some were even switched on ( I know that sounds a bit pretentious but it is true nevertheless) Can I single out Romania at Reception as a capable member of the team who does think ahead and anticipates what guests are looking for.
The hotel is larger in size than I had anticipated when I made my reservation so I personally would not really have liked to come here at the height of the season but the occupancy for the third week in June was fine. My wife however will not let me continue without mentioning that there were times when the dreaded early morning sunbed reservers were alive and flourishing here. This is my only major criticism of this place a real lack of pool service in all areas. No dedicated pool staff, not enough sun beds, not enough pool maintenance. I only once saw someone cleaning the pools which probably explains the debris and detritus that necessitated swimming with ones mouth tightly closed. No one readily available strangely enough to let me spend my hard earned on drinks etc without a walk to one of the two bar areas. Perhaps the management might give this some thought for improvement.
All in all I did enjoy my stay here and might indeed return though I personally will avoid busy times.

Room Tip: Avoid anything with the suffix "Country View" unless you plan to upgrade at check in or ne...
2 Thank AllanWanderlust

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences.

I would like to thank you as well for your constructive comments with regards to our Pool Service, please rest assured that I already discussed these points with the respective head of department in order to take the appropriate actions.

Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Recently spent a couple of nights at the Kempinski Gozo, and had a fantastic stay there. We wish we could have spent more time on Gozo than on Malta (we did a week Malta and 2 nights in Gozo). The hotel was a pretty easy drive from the ferry port - we got stuck when we reached the craft village, not realising the hotel was literally just round the corner from there. It takes a while to get used to the fact that Gozo and Malta are so small, you cover quite a distance on their maps in no time at all.

We arrived early, so the room wasn't quite ready so we enjoyed a drink while we waited - and hotel called us on the mobile as promised when the room became available. The room was lovely and spacious, with a nice view overlooking the pool. It was very nice that they seemed to come in a few times through the day to empty bins and turn down the room in the evening, and brought us free water.

All the staff we encountered were nice and helpful. The breakfast buffet is one of the best I've ever encountered - a huge selection of cereals, fruits, cooked breakfast, pastries, continental, etc. We didn't eat any other meals at the hotel, but did have a few drinks, which were fine albeit a bit pricey.

We found the location quite handy, and extremely peaceful. The Azure Window is just about walkable - a long walk, and a steep climb up the hill on the way back, but we quite enjoyed it - note it is VERY dark walking back after dark!

The only reason I'm not giving the hotel top marks is because of the sleep quality - the room was hot (the air conditioning seemed to have little to no impact), the beds didn't offer the best night's sleep ever, and also we had no shower in our room, just a jacuzzi bath. I didn't realise until now that some rooms have showers too - if I'd known, I would have asked to move as this really was a bit of a drawback to have no shower.

Apart from those niggles, wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel. We loved it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Terry D

Malta
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed with my husband and daughter at San Lawrenz from the 15th till the 17th June. Amazing in every way very comfy clean and staff super friendly and helpful. Hotel has 3 pools where one of them is very suitable for families with children.

Breakfast was fresh nice with plenty of choice. We had lunch in the lounge are, waiter in charge was very friendly and professional and my local ravioli were to die for.

Well done to Management and staff ........ and thank you so much you will surely see us again.

p.s a big thank you goes to the reception staff which were very helpful even when I called a day after I left the hotel to ask about a teddy my daughter left there they were so caring and checked in there lost and found department to be told they will send it to me by mail ...... highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

scotland
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed at kempinski Gozo from 1st June until 4th June. Easy enough to find from ferry with hire car. Check in was easy enough, although room was not quite ready we took a seat on the terrace and enjoyed a glass of wine. We had booked a deluxe pool view room and paid for the upgrade on booking from U.K, after approx one hour wait we were shown to our room in the original part of the hotel, We were disappointed in the standard of the room which was dark and had an old and very worn sofa and only a small partial view of pool.
Having stayed in many 5 star hotels throughout the world, this was not the standard I was expecting from Kempinski, and went straight to the front desk to complain..
My complaint was dealt with promptly and was soon shown to another room in the newer wing of the hotel which was much more to a standard I would expect the room was bright spacious had a lovely view and a very nice bathroom with both shower and jacuzzi bath.
Breakfast was nice and plenty of choice, yes some of the staff are not Maltese and don't understand English to well as when I ordered Eggs Benedict from the menu I was presented with a fried egg!! Although we just laughed about it.
We never ate in the restaurant as it was a bit pricey and. Knowing Gozo has some fantastic restaurants we chose to eat out.
The wine bar is good and they give you an I pad so that you can read about the wine you choose before you purchase it... A very good idea.
Pools and surrounding areas all very nice and kept clean and tidy, it was so peaceful and relaxing
And was a lovely start to our holiday in Malta.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in newer wing, high floor
1 Thank poshScotland
#1 of 3 in Xaghra
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 29 in Sliema

Been to Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz? Share your experiences!