“Great friendly service for our family of 4”

San Antonio Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 4 Xlendi B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We visited Gozo in December 2012 and stayed in Xlendi in this nice guesthouse. The mother and son duo took great care of us. The rooms and toilets were clean. We even had a bottle of wine in our room on arrival. It's location is also very nice. Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 11, 2012

A friend and I stayed there in single rooms in late October. The owner, his wife and mother could not have been more helpful and friendly. I had trouble with my mobile and they contacted my husband for me, They also arranged taxis for our arrival and departure and gave local information. Although they are not on site all the time, their free telephone line works just as well. The rooms are large and airy, and the premisies, including the pool, spotlessly clean, the whole set in quiet surroundings with a view of the sea. It's a short walk down the hill to lots of little restaurants and the bus goes from the bottom of the road. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a better view, but several ground-floor rooms give directly on to the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rosemary M
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Family run with very personal service, the Guest House was exactly right for us.

The building is very attractively designed and the rooms and balconies spacious. The pool area is gorgeous and everywhere is really clean and lovingly maintained. Such a great location, close to the sea path and stone bridge, with beautiful terrace views. We found the whole area quiet and peaceful. Swimming from the rocks in Xlendi Bay is lovely, before or after lazing by the pool. Restaurants are abundant and all local food great.

The rooms have air con and the windows have bug screens, so you can have them open at night without being bitten. We had a bath and shower, which feels like luxury when so many places only have showers. There's also a pool shower and we were made to feel welcome to store our bags, swim and stay around after checking out on the morning we were due to leave.

There's a fridge where guests can keep water wine olives, whatever, and though there's nowhere to buy food in the village, there is a van that stops outside once a day (around 1.30 when we stayed) and he toots the horn so you can buy fruit, veg, baked and packaged stuff & drinks.

San Antonio is great value and you won't find a sweeter or nicer place to stay. Thank you George, Anna & Family for your hospitality and lovely home from home.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KimFarley
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great value for money. The rooms were clean and comfy, the pool was clean and the overall atmosphere was perfect. The hotel overlooks the bay/sea, which is visible from the pool area and almost all rooms. All but one room faces west so you benefit from sunsets each night.
Our room had single beds which were pushed together (not brilliant for a romantic break, but where there's a will...), and a balcony overlooking the pool/sea. The staff were always v. friendly and helpful, organising our taxi to the port and even giving us a ride to the local supermarket. They have pool towels if you ask for them, and wifi is v.reasonably priced with a decent signal.
The breakfast would benefit from a bit of variety and some simple additions (e.g. fruit/yoghurt/fresh juice), but overall reflects the price you pay.
The town the hotel is located in (Xlendi) has lots of restaurants and ice-cream shops, easy walking distance away, and a bus link to the main town/rest of the island. The restaurants reflect the overall quality of food on Gozo ... and remember that the best thing about Maltese wine is the ability to not order it, and buy a French bottle instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Guest house is inexpensive, great location, reasonable accommodation. Xlendi is absolutely beautiful.

However, I saw a few cockroaches in the kitchen area and in my room (and the ones in my room were big!). I tried speaking to George about the cockroaches in the room, asking very politely to be moved to another room. He basically said it is Summer and you are on the first floor so it is going to happen and that he cannot move me because they were full. I tried to reason (again very politely!) explaining that I was from Canada, we dont have cockroaches and this is not a relaxing vacation for me! he was very unsympathetic and quite rude. i asked if someone was checking out and I could move to a room on a higher floor, he really did not want to deal with it.

In the end he finally moved me to his sisters building next door. No other cockroaches seen.
I won't be staying there again, both because of the bugs and his reaction. Sorry

Room Tip: i guess ask for a room on the second floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank KRicha16
George G, Manager at San Antonio Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

I remember this guest quite well. She booked in the high season a single standard room with a private bathroom. Her review says she found cock roaches in the kitchen which is simply not TRUE. She knows very well our establishment is a Guest House that does NOT offer a kitchen, but ”rooms only” and we offer a served breakfast. Any guests that stayed with us and read the description will know this. As regards the bugs she is mentioning, the buildings on the Maltese islands are made of solid stone, that means these bugs have no place to hide in the walls. These bugs come in from the outside. Bugs in the summer are a common occurrence in Mediterranean countries. This is beyond our control, and something she could not understand or try to. She just wanted a room upstairs. I told her to wait for my sister and speak to her, telling her also that we were fully booked during that period. She kept insisting and was adamant to get a reply out of me there and then. I informed her a room upstairs was not possible, I pointed out to her she booked for a standard room. When she visited during the summer we were booked full. Did she expect me to take someone out of a sea view room they booked and put her in it? I tried repeatedly telling her we are booked and that is why my sister offered another property which she herself confirms. I am sorry to say that just because I could not accommodate her request instantly, she is trying to put us in a bad light by her review.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We arrived at the guest house and George the owner gave us a choice of two rooms, we choose the room in the St Judes Villa and were really pleased with our stay. The rooms were spacious and clean and all the family / hotel staff were really friendly.
The views from the villa were gorgeous and the pool area was quiet and comfortable.
I would really recommend a stay at this hotel if you are looking for a family friendly, quiet holiday and we will be returning next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 11, 2012

After numerous trips over the years to Malta this year I finally made the ferry hop to Gozo, and I couldn’t have found a more peaceful and comforting place to stay! My first week was complete R&R and unwinding from the usual London manic'ness and I was just able to sleep, sunbathe & swim.
George, Maria, Anna, John-Paul and the ladies who clean the rooms are first class, welcoming on one level but also relaxed enough to leave guests alone when they needed quiet. For my second week (sadly only a partial one) I was joined by two Australian friends who'd been travelling around Europe and in need of some much needed TLC. So if you're looking for clean & comfortable rooms, a pool and gardens all just a short stroll away from a scenically stunning Xlendi village this may well be the place for you. A perfect place to unwind and develop the perfect tan, and catch up on your reading! Anna's breakfast eggs are sublime, along with yummy Maltese toast and quality coffee, what more do you need? If you hadn't gathered already I had a great trip and shall be back!

Room Tip: I had two different rooms, as for the first week I was by myself and the second sharing with two oth...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank HelenpLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xlendi
San Andrea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sannat
Grand Hotel Gozo
Grand Hotel Gozo
#1 of 1 in Mgarr

Been to San Antonio Guesthouse? Share your experiences!