“Small but perfectly formed”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of San Andrea Hotel

San Andrea Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Xlendi
Dereham, United Kingdom
“Small but perfectly formed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have just returned from a three week stay in this lovely little hotel overlooking Xlendi Bay.

I found the owners and staff to be very helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble.
My room, although small was perfectly acceptable. It was modern, bright and clean. A free safe and WIFI were provided as well as a TV that had a good selection of English language programs. The balcony was just large enough for 2 chairs and a small table.
The bathroom contained a full size bath that was a boon to aching bones after a long day walking. The water pressure was a bit on the low side so it took a while to fill, a criticism also levelled by guests at other hotels! The shower which wasn’t thermostatically controlled, was fine.
The residents lounge on the top floor has fantastic views over the bay, and a PC with internet access.
If I have any criticism it would be with the food served in the restaurant. The breakfast menu was a little limited, and after 3 weeks I found it less than appealing, a little more variety wouldn’t have gone amiss . A full English breakfast was available at extra cost but I didn’t have the opportunity to try it.
Dinner in the restaurant from the set menu(I was H/B) could be good, it could also be somewhat vapid. The sweats available were less than imaginative. Portion size was good as was the selection of wines. Waiting staff were attentive and polite.
To sum up, if you are looking to stay in Xlendi, which is one of the nicest places on Gozo , I would recommend the San Andrea without hesitation.
I would like to say a big Thank You to Jason and Sharon, Brian and the rest of the staff at the San Andrea for a wonderful stay. Hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: If you're not on a tight budget go for a sea view room on the 3rd or 4th floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Aerial_bloke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Trois-Rivières
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Compared to two other hotels in Malta, this hotel was wonderful! It was clean and the sea view is amazing. The restaurant is a bit expensive but we had a good experience anyway. The staff was polite and helpful. The bus stop is very close and there are some good restaurants, even during low season. Also, there are some hiking trails around the hotel that you need to try. (And it's free!) Breakfast was good too. Not a lot of variety though. The only negative aspect of this hotel: sometimes we had no hot water...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Catania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I read good reviews in the guide books and we visited for lunch mid week. The fried rabbit was disappointing
Apart from the fish fillet which wasn`t a fillet, I was a nice meal
Staff friendly and very helpful

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chipping Campden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here as part of a painting holiday in September, 2012. Lovely sea view room with small balcony, clean compact room, nice bathroom, good food and wine, immaculate. Staff friendly and helpful. The bus stop is very close to the hotel and there is a choice of good restaurants in the harbour. It was wonderful to be able to slip straight into the sea for a swim opposite the hotel after a hot and hard day's painting!

Room Tip: Pick a sea view. The top floor residents' lounge could do with a little upgrade, perhaps?
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Petal1912
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here for a week in February. Privately run by proprietor with excellent English. Rooms compact but well equipped. Clean. Staff friendly and very helpful. Food good and plentiful - only fault there is the large portion size! Worth paying the extra for a harbour view as it must be one of the most picturesque anywhere and those rooms do not overlook the road which can be noisy.

Pauline B

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pauline B
AndreaXlendi, Manager at San Andrea Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Traveller,

Thank you very much for choosing Hotel San Andrea and for sharing your views about it.

With great pleasure I read your review and praises of our personnel. Please note that I have shared your comments with the team. Thanks also for your praise of our good kitchen.

I am sending you warmest greetings on behalf of our Team and we all are looking forward to host you again in the future.

Sincerely
Sharon Galea
Director
waterville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Reviewers had many lovely comments about the San Andrea, so I didn't hesitate to rent a waterfront room here for a week through Travel Republic. The hotel is as described, with small but immaculate rooms, several with balconies right on the harbor. What I had missed mention of is the hotel's location. It is right next to the road going into and out of town, at the base of a steep hill,and stretching across the road, right below the balconies, is a large steel grate. Every time a car, truck, or bus goes over the grate it makes a very loud clunking noise. On weekends, when the traffic is nonstop, so is the clanking...as well as the sounds of tHe trucks and buses as they grind uphill.

Because I had booked through Travel Republic the management couldn't do anything about a refund, and the email I received from Travel Republic was less than encouraging. I cut my losses and booked into the much quieter Calypso in Maselforn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank kaydog57
AndreaXlendi, General Manager at San Andrea Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear traveller,

Thank you for your effort in reviewing your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to learn that we disappointed you with regards to our location and we would be happy to improve your perception through a return visit.

Not wanting to diminish your experience or your comments in any way I hasten to add that our hotel is located on St. Simon street (San Xmun) which for the moment has become the main road to and from Xlendi as the main road (Triq ta' l-Ghajn - Fontana) is being resurfaced. This is only temporary as the main road will be re-opened in a couple of weeks time. With regards to the large steel grate you mentioned, i would like to let you know that Munxar Local Council has taken us up on this complaint and grate was duly fixed in place at the beggining of this week.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and I add my details below should you wish to contact me personally.

Sharon Galea
Manager
+356 2156 5555
Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had an enjoyable break here in a side view room. Rooms are small but very reasonable for a 3 star property. Beds are a little soft. Cleanliness is good.

The hotel offers in-house residents a reduced price set menu which I highly recommend - great food with well-trained staff.

Breakfast is satisfactory. A few variations in cheese, cake or tinned fruit would improve the experience.

I have stayed here 4 times in 5 years - so clearly I recommend it.

I was a bit disappointed not to be offered an upgrade to sea view as I'm sure the hotel was not full.

I will return.

Room Tip: Sea views are best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank XaghraDream
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xlendi
Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz
Hotel Ta' Cenc
#1 of 2 in Sannat
Saint Patrick's Hotel
Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa

Been to San Andrea Hotel? Share your experiences!