“never again” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Xlendi
herne bay
“never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2008

Having recently become a member of the gift company - myself & my fiance decided to use our "free weeks" to take our friends on holiday. We all agreed on going to Serena Beach Club.
The holiday had been booked for 3 months when the Gift company contacted me (2 days before we were due to travel!!!!!) to tell me that we would have to pay 30 euros per person per day for breakfast, if we did not pay this then we would not be able to stay at the hotel.
In view of only having 2 days before travelling, we were unable to book elsewhere. We decided that we would stay at Serena beach & pay the extortionate amount. On arriving at the hotel we were unable to gain access as it was locked up. We wandered around the beautiful island of Xlendi until we saw the front door open.
Once in we paid our monies (in cash as we had been warned not to give credit card details) & made our way to our room. Joe & his staff seemed very friendly.
The four of us then decided to go for breakfast,after which we all decided we would eat out from then on.
On talking to Joe about the situation of charging for breakfast & us not being able to get into the hotel on arrival, he informed us that the Gift company had known about this all along (he showed me emails to prove this) & that they had not contacted him to inform him of our arrival time.
Luckily I did not have the misfortune of being fleeced by the hotel to such a large extent as other travellers, but feel that the gift company, bonus week breaks & Joe Vella are working some knd of cunning scam. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — The fact that it was in Xlendi
  • Disliked — The food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mclarajane
hotelxlendi, Owner at Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2009
Kindly would like to bring into your attention that New Management of Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa is in action.

Should there be anything the new Management can do, kindly do hesitate to contact us.

Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Gozo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

My husband, myself and our 2 children aged 1 and 6 stayed at this hotel back in July 2007. We booked the hotel through Bonus Week Breaks. We paid for the hotel to pick us up from the airport and they never turned up. When we arrived Mr Joe Vella who owns the hotel along with his wife Maryrose was very pleasant making a big fuss of the children and apologising for not picking us up from the airport and blamed Bonus Week Breaks for not informing him. We put it down to lack of communication and was looking forward to our family break. Joe Vella took my credit card details saying it was just incase of breakages in the hotel room.
We were checked into an room in the old part of the hotel which was covered in dust and a large dead spider fell onto my daughter as we tried to close the curtains. The bedlined was old and dirty and had holes in the sheets. It was 9pm by this time so we decided to check out the restaurant and then if it was any good we would do what we always do and upgrade to half board. Food was terrible, and tables were laid out around a small open swimming pool which was not safe for us as we had a 1 and half year old. We ate inside the hotel which was again dirty and very hot with no air conditioning and flies everywhere.

The next day we decided that we would eat out of the hotel due to the awful food and and hygiene factor. We only used the hotel to go back to our room and sleep. MY husband even tried a couple of of other hotels on the island but due to it being the height of the season they were all booked up. Determined not to spoil out holiday we went out for all out meals including breakfast which we had already paid for through Bonus Week Breaks. During our week in Gozo 4 separate people had warned us about Joe and Maryrose Vella (the local taxi company, restaurant, bar and tourist trips) They told us not to pay anything by credit cards whilst staying at the hotel as they had heard from other tourist that money had been taken off their cards. When we came to the end of the week we once again checked with Joe that we did not owe any money and explained we had not eated at the hotel due to the swimming pool (not wishing to offend him but telling him 100% truth) He confirmed that we had only eaten one evening meal on the evening we arrived and that this had been paid in full in cash.
Once home, a credit card bill came through showing that £777.40 had been taken off my card. I phoned Joe and he was very apologetic saying Bonus Week Breaks had sold us the holiday incorrectly and that £777.40 was the correct amount for staying at his hotel and although he can confirm we didn't eat at the hotel that we had to pay full board at his hotel and this was the correct amount.

I have up to this date being trying to get my money back but now I know that this will not happen. I have been made promises over and over again that people will phone me back and knowbody has ever done so and I am just lossing more and more money by phoning and emailing this man.

PLEASE BE WARNED, Mr Joe Vella and his wife Maryrose Vella will come across as very nice people whilst you are there but they are certainly not and they will take you money.

This hotel is AWFUL along with the owners

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything was awful, dead insects in the room and dirty bedlined
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank MickyGozo

Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa

Travelers are raving about these Xlendi hotels

STALYBRIDGE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

The leter sent to the police in malta regarding the Hotel Serena Beach Club

To the Chief Inspector of the Maltese Police,
I would like to make a formal complaint regarding a fraudulent act on my credit card while staying at the Serena Beach Hotel, by the Owner/Manager Mr.Joe.Vella. I was staying at the Serena Beach Hotel Gozo in Xlendi Bay on the 3rd- 10th July 2008, On arrival at the hotel my husband was asked for a copy of his credit card by Mr. Joe.Vella at this point my husband said he did not have a credit card. Mr.Joe.Vella said we could not stay in his Hotel unless we had a credit card at this point I asked the owner why he required a credit card as the holiday was paid for in full and there should not of been any charges, to which point Mr. Joe.Vella replied it was for any damages that could occur to his hotel during our stay, or any charges against the room. At this point I gave him my credit card he stated that he was doing a promotion at his hotel for all breakfasts and evening meals which were free and he also offer us a free upgrade aswell to which my husband replied we should be requiring 2x1 bedroom apartments so how could we be getting an upgrade as you have offered us 1x3 bedroom apartment for all of the party which there was no reply by the owner. At this stage I was also asked to sign a RCI affiliated document and I ticked the self catering box only, I was shown a copy of my credit card transaction and it stated a no transaction, my husband suspected there was something not right at this point, my husband also said there isn’t such thing as a free meal. At this stage we contacted Barclaycards bearing in mind we had only been in our room for 1 hour and 40 minutes and to our horror we found out that there was a pending request on my credit card for £2393.51 which we was told to phone back the bank the next day, which we did and they told us that they could not do anything until Monday 7th July, which the transaction was still pending at this point.
At this stage I must make it quite clear that we did not consume any breakfast, evening meals, alcohol or soft drink while we stayed at the Serena Beach Hotel as the only thing we signed for was for a small charge on any damages that may of occurred in our room which didn’t seem unreasonable at the time as this is customary at all hotels all over the world to do this.
The funny thing about this is that he shook my husbands hand and said sorry about the misunderstanding at the start but you can’t trust anybody as people have damaged my hotel in the past.
All above information was witnessed by me, my husband and my daughter, we would be more than please to travel back to Gozo to testify in court against the owner Mr. Joe.Vella In any criminal proceedings regarding the above statements. Regarding fraudulent use of my credit card.
If you require any other documents e.g. documents from the holiday company regarding full payment for the above stay at Serena Beach Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me about the above statement. Ps you must send your formal complaint to the Maltese Police- cmru.police@gov.mt. and the info@visitmalta.com Maltese Tourist Agency , so we can get ths criminal to court

Stayed July 2008
6 Thank GRAHAME1

Oxford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

Do not stay at this hotel. Joe Valla is a rogue of the first order. I wish that I had known about Trip Advisor before we booked. This man defrauded us of over £1200, we thought we were paying £10 for the remote control and he took the rest without permission. We had booked a self catering apartment but there is no such thing at the Serina. He will insist that a condition of booking is that you pay in advance for breakfast & dinner every night.

The hotel was dirty, smelly cats everywhere, thin sheets that didn't fit so that you were sleeping on the bare unprotected mattress, apartment wasn't cleaned in a fortnight. Towels were cheap, thin and smelly. The restaurant was 3rd class and tatty. One waitress, his daughter, sulky & slow.

The pool is the best part of the hotel but you have to pay for mattresses. Where do you ever have to pay for a hotel mattress?
We lodged complaints with the Tourist Board and with the police but got nowhere, but I have just read an article in the Malta Times about him. The authorities have become aware of his activities and a court case is going on involving a French couple. I do hope that it is successful, I want to hear that he is in Gaol.
Bonus week Breaks were useless, they didn't want to know. Be aware that if things go wrong they will not get involved, you are on your own.

• Liked — Being in Xlendi
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank WoodyOxford

sunderland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

Another English family defrauded to the tune of over 4,000 pounds ,see Malta Star August 25th DO NOT STAY HERE AT ANY COSTS this man should be imprisoned he is tarnishing the good name of the Maltese and Gozitans In England he would be shut down ,assests seized and sent to trial,how long will this go on? ,he is being investigated for defrauding a French couple ,what about all the others? the Maltese government should have him repay all the people he has defrauded.

Stayed July 2008
4 Thank mickSunderland

xavethadd
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

Please read what happened to me!! Please dont ever stay at this hotel!!!

After returning back from my holiday at Hotel Serena Beach, Xlendi, Gozo i was absolutely mortified when i
opened my bank accout statement to reveal that Hotel Serena had taken £ 4120.73 out of my account
which was taken only two days into the holiday. The money had cleared my bank account on the 23rd July
which was deceitfully taken on the day we arrived without my knowledge (19th July)

When we arrived at Hotel Serena everything seemed brilliant and the staff were lovely, we arrived to check in
and on reception was the Hotel Owner Joey and his Daughter Charmaine, As we checked in he explained
about the hotel, the room keys and proceded to say everything had been paid for in advance and the only
expense we would incur on our holiday would be any drinks purchased from the bar, this was clearly noted by
all six members of my family and under no cercumstances did "Joey" ever mention any charges for any meals
that we would eat during our stay, and even told us confidently the times for breakfast and diner.

If i had known that we would of been paying for each course we certainly would not have eaten there every night as places in the local area would have been alot cheaper. If we were to pay for any of the meals there should have been prices listed on the menu for each course so that we knew how much we were spending and would of paid for them there and then!!!!! HOW CAN YOU CHARGE FOR MEALS IN ADVANCE!????

When Checking in "Joey" asked for my Credit Card Details which i did not have so i gave him my Debit Card,
this was to pay for the transfer costs to and from the airport. At that point i did not see the figures he put into the
card machine and he never gave me any receipt after i had input my pin number.

I find this very disturbing and i am deeply upset over what has happened. This money had taken me and my husband many years to save and the money in that account were for my daughters wedding next year which will have to be prosponed untill this matter is resolved.

All of our family had got on really well with Joey and all the members of staff and cant believe what he has done and infact a criminal offence! Even when going to see Joey the night before to sort out travel arrangements for our journey home there was no mention of any charges apart from the transfer fees which i thought i had already paid for on arrival !!! Joey said he had not charged me for the transfer fees to and from the
hotel so i handed over my card once again but did not think anything of it, i did receive a receipt for this transaction.

There was NEVER ANY PAPERWORK given to me with the amount of £4120.73 and even when punching in my pin details there was no value on the screen and no receipt!!!! We had just arrived after travelling all day, tired and hungry and wanted to get to our rooms. In this state i did not even think to ask for the receipt and presumed it was for security as back in the uk most hotels will ask for security details, this was nothing out of the ordionary!!

After having a wonderfull holiday or so we thought, getting back to reveal what had really happened has
completely destroyed everything. To me the money they have taken is years of hard work and not only i cannot
believe how the hotel has abused my trust like this. This has left my account completely empty and we are now facing the possability of taking out a loan to pay for the mortgage and all our household bills which i am being HOUNDED for at the moment!!!!!

Yours Sincerely

Mrs Lynn Quick

move to ...-inbox-drafts-Deleted-Spam Folder move replyreply allforwardprintdelete

back to inbox previousnext

terms and conditions privacy help

• Stayed July 2008
3 Thank xavethadd

darlington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

I had read the reviews therefore was aware of the scam that this horrible little man was getting away with.
I arrived at The Serena on July 24th along with my husband and two children at 2pm after a early morning flight from Manchester.
Joe Vella asked me for my credit card to take 800 euros for breakfast fee. I explained that we were going on excursions every day and didn't require breakfast. He continued to ask for my credit card but I refused. He would not let us stay at his hotel without paying the 800 euros.
Disappointed and angry we left and searched for a new hotel.
Bonus weeks did try and find us somewhere else but we found suitable accommodation ourselves.
We lost two days of our holidays due to this greedy man.
Please if offered this hotel you must say no in order to cause his hotel to close.
We did settle at The Intercontinental in St Julian's which was very nice, so stay there if you go to Malta.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Joe Vella
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank angrytraveller

Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xlendi
San Andrea Hotel
Saint Patrick's Hotel
Hotel Ta' Cenc
Hotel Ta' Cenc
#1 of 2 in Sannat

Been to Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!