My husband, myself and our 2 children aged 1 and 6 stayed at this hotel back in July 2007. We booked the hotel through Bonus Week Breaks. We paid for the hotel to pick us up from the airport and they never turned up. When we arrived Mr Joe Vella who owns the hotel along with his wife Maryrose was very pleasant making a big fuss of the children and apologising for not picking us up from the airport and blamed Bonus Week Breaks for not informing him. We put it down to lack of communication and was looking forward to our family break. Joe Vella took my credit card details saying it was just incase of breakages in the hotel room.
We were checked into an room in the old part of the hotel which was covered in dust and a large dead spider fell onto my daughter as we tried to close the curtains. The bedlined was old and dirty and had holes in the sheets. It was 9pm by this time so we decided to check out the restaurant and then if it was any good we would do what we always do and upgrade to half board. Food was terrible, and tables were laid out around a small open swimming pool which was not safe for us as we had a 1 and half year old. We ate inside the hotel which was again dirty and very hot with no air conditioning and flies everywhere.
The next day we decided that we would eat out of the hotel due to the awful food and and hygiene factor. We only used the hotel to go back to our room and sleep. MY husband even tried a couple of of other hotels on the island but due to it being the height of the season they were all booked up. Determined not to spoil out holiday we went out for all out meals including breakfast which we had already paid for through Bonus Week Breaks. During our week in Gozo 4 separate people had warned us about Joe and Maryrose Vella (the local taxi company, restaurant, bar and tourist trips) They told us not to pay anything by credit cards whilst staying at the hotel as they had heard from other tourist that money had been taken off their cards. When we came to the end of the week we once again checked with Joe that we did not owe any money and explained we had not eated at the hotel due to the swimming pool (not wishing to offend him but telling him 100% truth) He confirmed that we had only eaten one evening meal on the evening we arrived and that this had been paid in full in cash.
Once home, a credit card bill came through showing that £777.40 had been taken off my card. I phoned Joe and he was very apologetic saying Bonus Week Breaks had sold us the holiday incorrectly and that £777.40 was the correct amount for staying at his hotel and although he can confirm we didn't eat at the hotel that we had to pay full board at his hotel and this was the correct amount.
I have up to this date being trying to get my money back but now I know that this will not happen. I have been made promises over and over again that people will phone me back and knowbody has ever done so and I am just lossing more and more money by phoning and emailing this man.
PLEASE BE WARNED, Mr Joe Vella and his wife Maryrose Vella will come across as very nice people whilst you are there but they are certainly not and they will take you money.
This hotel is AWFUL along with the owners
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated to make the most of this natural beauty spot, the hotel provides a welcoming, comfortable and friendly environment to enjoy a stay with your partner, family or friends. Our team are focused on going the extra mile to ensure that you have beautiful memories of your stay with us. We value your feedback, if there is anything we can do to improve your visit please tell a member of our staff who will be delighted to help. Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa also caters for your health and well-being. Relax with a spa treatment, pamper yourself at our hair & nail salon, unwind in one of our pools and energies your day in our gym. It’s the perfect choice if you want a holiday to relax and revitalize your body and mind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Xlendi Resort And Spa
- Hotel Xlendi Xlendi
- Serena Beach Club
- Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa Island Of Gozo, Malta