“Avoid this hotel”

Saint Patrick's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Xlendi
Reviewed May 21, 2013

When we got there we were put in a room that smelt badly of damp. When we went down in the morning to complain they explained that it was because it was a courtyard room that didn't get any sunshine and there got damp. They were completely OK with that! We had to pay an extra 93 euros for a room at the back (valley view) to solve that.
The breakfasts were truly terrible and only partially edible. The waiter (the staff in the restaurant were very nice) would apologise as he put each plate down saying it was a Chinese chef. We go to Malta/Gozo about twice a year. We won't be using that hotel again.

Room Tip: Go to the hotel next door. St Andrews. Because if you don't like the room they give you in St...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ward840
Daniel B, General Manager at Saint Patrick's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am very disappointed that we didn’t manage to meet and fulfil your expectations. I am very concerned with your comments regarding the breakfast. I can assure you that all our chefs are local, highly qualified chefs with more than ten years’ experience and we do not have any foreign or Chinese chefs. I would also like to point out that our breakfast is a buffet of local produce.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me directly on Daniel.briffa@stpatrickshotel.com with more details about your booking so I can look into your comments regarding the room and the breakfast.

There are newer reviews for Saint Patrick's Hotel

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great personal service, beautiful romantic inside as well as outside look and really retro athmosphere of this seafront hotel: the best location in the whole of Gozo! The bay of Xlendi looks great on a summer day, but is even better on a stormy and windy springday where you really can feel the waves rolling over the pebble stones almost into your hotel room. Really fantastic coastline to go for long walks. The restaurant is not the best in the area for dinner, but is great for a cappucino.

Room Tip: Seafront - ask for view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ewa G
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was our 2nd time staying at this hotel. The room was clean and comfortable. TV had a good selection of channels. For breakfast there was a vast selection of food. Everything I chose tasted good. All staff ranging from dining room to reception staff were very polite and professional. When comparing to stays in others hotels, this one is our preferred one. We will definitely stay there again the next time we need hotel accommodation in Gozo.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank E E
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I didn't actually stay at this hotel, but after arriving and not being able to stay there and having had an accident the previous day and broken a bone in my foot (not good when backpacking alone!) the manager (Daniel) arranged a transfer to their sister hotel for me and gave me his card in case I needed anything whilst staying on Gozo. Very very kind and helpful. I wish all hotel staff were like Daniel and his team. :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Glampacker99
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I would recommend this hotel for the view alone. It's well worth spending the bit extra to have a sea view room. This hotel is in the middle of the bay & the sea view rooms are just so perfectly placed.

The hotel is somewhat jaded here & there, & is old fashioned, but it certainly wasn't to the detriment of our enjoyment staying here. Our room was large with a nice size balcony. Very clean & airy.

Breakfast was sufficient & all the staff that we encountered were pleasant & efficient. We had a lovely stay here & would stay here again most definitely.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank HotCharlie
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stopped at the Hotels restaurant for lunch, during our day excursion to Gozo. We were served by a very knowledgable and informative waiter. The food was delicious and the location stunning. An experience we hope to repeat.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jackslybacon
Daniel B, General Manager at Saint Patrick's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our dining experience. We try our best to keep our staff well trained to be able to deliver a top notch service. We also pride ourselves with using mainly local, seasonal ingredients in our recipes and that is why we are able to deliver freshness and extra value in our menu.

We hope to see you again next time you’re in Gozo.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Firstly, the staff were wonderful. Everyone from the cleaners to the waiters and reception staff. They were friendly before, but after my heart attack they were extremely helpful to my partner and myself. I'd give them 6 stars if I could.
The hotel is right on the front, and if it's windy, as it was at first, you can watch the waves reach almost up to the dining room.
We were moved between four rooms, as it wasn't clear when I was going back. The rooms were charming, spacious and scrupulously clean, despite the lack of modernisation and frayed towels, which didn't bother us. Beds were comfortable and sheets were top quality cotton. The camp beds (actually pull-out settees) provided were however squeaky and the mattress too thin (my partner's sister came out to help and slept on them). Fans were silent and effective, but we didn't try or need the A/C. The TV were large flat screen multi-channel, with high quality images (unlike some hotels in Malta).
Freshly cooked breakfasts were available for the asking, but I found the buffet of cereals/muesli, a wide range of bread, salads, boiled eggs, cooked meats, cheese and fresh/dried fruit enough. If you didn't like the set evening meal (we went out for meals before my illness), there was the a la carte menu, and they were happy enough to provide a suitable plain vegetable meal on my return from hospital. There were plenty of local restaurants locally. I'd recommend the Val d'Or and Moby Dick especially.
Each room had a fridge (mini-bar) which we used to store milk (we brought our own kettle after encountering the lack of one on a previous visit to Malta). The fridge is a snug fit in its cabinet, so you have to make sure the door has closed properly, otherwise it will defrost. There is no local supermarket – it's up for sale, though a grocery van reportedly comes once a week (we never saw it). There is one in Munxar, about 2km away, and several in Victoria. Phone cards are sold in Victoria for use in the local payphones. There is an HSBC cash point just outside the front door.
The local bus service to Victoria (4 minutes past the hour) goes through Munxar while the main road is being rebuilt.
We were there during the spring hunting season, and being woken up by gunfire at 5am was the least pleasant aspect of our stay.
This hotel has a few minor quibbles, but I would happily go back.

Room Tip: Sea view worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony M
Daniel B, General Manager at Saint Patrick's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

I trust that you are now much better after your ordeal. I am happy to learn that your stay with us was pleasurable and that the staff took good care of you upon your return from hospital.

We are currently in the process of upgrading the towels and other linen. We have also upgraded our breakfast buffet to include a hot section with two types of bacon, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, breakfast sausages, fried local tomatoes, Heinz baked beans, hash browns, local date rolls (mqaret) and other items that we know will please our guests.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Gozo and the Saint Patrick’s Hotel.

Daniel Briffa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Xlendi
San Andrea Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mgarr
Calypso Hotel
Calypso Hotel
#1 of 9 in Marsalforn

Been to Saint Patrick's Hotel? Share your experiences!