“Hotel with a character in perfect harmony with its surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Ta' Cenc

Hotel Ta' Cenc
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sannat
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Hotel with a character in perfect harmony with its surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was my third stay at Ta Cenc in the past three years in a row. I travel a lot but this is the only hotel I choose to stay more than once (apart from airport hotels for transit). When I first stayed here three years ago I simply fell in love with this place and keep coming back – all the way from Japan! The location is just stunning on top of a dizzyingly high cliff. The hotel premises are huge, and walks to the cliff edge and the beautiful Kantra Fjord are very pleasant. I always visit this hotel in February/March, so it’s truly peaceful and quiet. If you’re someone who’s tired of busy city life and need some relaxing and refreshing time away from it all, this is the place - although things would be very different in summer, obviously.

Upon arrival, the general manager himself showed me to the room. The room I was given (131) was spacious and has plenty of space to store things. The bed was very comfortable (a proper double mattress and you don’t fall in the middle of two mattresses pushed together!) and the bedding (as well as the room itself) was clean. From the windows and the balcony you can see Comino in the distance. There was some welcome fruit on the table, which added a nice touch. I read a review of old loungers but those in my balcony were brand new. Free wifi was available only in the public area around the lounge, which wasn’t a problem for me. The lounge was also spacious with comfortable sofas to relax and have a drink while using the Internet. The only thing was that somehow I kept getting a blank log in page on my mac and needed to try more than a few times to log in. I was told they’d look into the problem, so hopefully it’ll work ok next time I visit them. It seemed other guests didn’t have the same problem, though.

The manager and the staff are very helpful and accommodating, and do whatever they can to meet your request and make you feel at home. I am a solo female traveler but I always feel very comfortable. Upon my request, the maître d’hôtel arranged to serve frittura mista (see photo) that was truly delicious. I ate at the restaurant only twice this time, but the seafood I had was very fresh and perfectly cooked. The staff are also very prompt in solving problems when they arise. The safe in my room stopped working one night, which was replaced in the matter of a few minutes by the general manager himself! The housekeeping/cleaning was thorough. I was very impressed last year when a housekeeper managed to find two pieces of very tiny (about 5mm!) plastic parts I lost.

To be fair, I can understand some of the negative reviews. It depends on what you want. If you like uniform service, flashy fixtures/equipment and decorative cuisine, this is probably not the place for you. The hotel and the staff are in perfect harmony with its relaxed, natural surroundings. It’s a hotel with a character.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main building and the swimming pool seem quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank YS-Tokyo
Italico R, General Manager at Hotel Ta' Cenc, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Prof.Dr. Yoko Sato,
sincerely lot of thanks for your lovely comments on Trip Advisor about your stay at TaÇenc.
For my Management, Staff and myself, it was a real pleasure to welcome you again in our Hotel and you can be sure that every time you will be back, for all of us will be a professional and personal real pleasure. To be at your full disposal is an honor for all of us .
Best regards from everybody, especially from me. You have a lot of friends here, waiting to welcome you back again and soon.
general manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Carmarthen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a refuelling and great chill out pampered break at Hotel Ta'Cenc end February. Like going from home to home but no need to think about anything. Friendliness and quality beyond compare. Great accommodation and facilities. Top class service and exceptionally good food. The staff everywhere on the site are extremely friendly and helpful. No request is an issue. Excellent pool, spa and gym facilities. Walking in Gozo excellent. Plenty to see. Spring flowers all in bloom capturing the show. Definitely will return and will stay at Ta Cenc Hotel and Spa again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John M
Italico R, General Manager at Hotel Ta' Cenc, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Sir, I would like to thank you very much for the beautiful comments about your Spring Holidays in our Hotel.
Staff, Management and myself we are very grateful to you and comments like yours will help us to try harder and improve our services in favor of our Customers.
We all, we were happy to welcome you and to be at your full disposal. We hope to see you again because Ta'Cenc is your second home.
Our best thanks again and best regards.
Staffordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week on a walking holiday using buses to get about Gozo - very efficient. The hotel is lovely in a beautiful location with superb staff. The food in the restaurant we found a bit dull - we had booked half board. Perhaps better to mix and match with taxis into Victoria to eat there in the evenings. Minor room problems sorted out immediately.
It is easy to understand some of the negative reviews posted. In February it was a haven of peace and quiet but in peak season children running round would not appeal to all some guests.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LesStaffordshire
Dear Guest,
I wish to thank you very much for your kind comments on Trip Advisor . You are helping us to improve our services and I will assure you that I will follow your suggestions. For all of us it was a pleasure to welcome you at Ta Cenc and we sincerely hope to have the same pleasure again.
All my best and thanks again.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location set back from beautiful cliffs. it is well run and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Both the owner and the manager were in evidence and the manager waved us of as we left at the end of our stay. The rooms were well furnished and of ample size with a personal terrace. The breakfast was excellent. The only disappointment was the evening meal on our first night which was bland and unimaginative. We ate out in the evenings after that. Overall I can highly recommend this hotel and I would be happy to go back there.

Room Tip: The rooms around the pool have better views than some others.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ruth E
Italico R, General Manager at Hotel Ta' Cenc, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Sir,
I wish to thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor.
The comments of our dear Customers will help us to improve our services , and all you have written is really useful to me. About the dinner in our Restaurant I am going to have a meeting with our Executive Chef and I will read him your comments.
Again thank you very much and sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again.
Very faithfully yours.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Our family (2 adults, a boy of 4 years and a girl of 9 months) stayed at Ta Cenc Hotel & Spa for 4 nights in February 2014. This was a most enjoyable stay for the beauty of the location but most of all for the service which we received from all staff. Travelling with 2 children is quite a tough task but the hotel staff was always ready to help and always with a smile! A special mention goes to the General Manager, Mr. Rota, who seemed to be present at the hotel all the time, greeting guests, offering assistance and simply making us feel at home!

Well done for a great service!

Room Tip: We had room 109, a very good room for families since it is split into 2 separate bedrooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank trevornau
Dear Mr. Naudi,
I sincerely wish to thank you so much for all you have written to Trip Advisor about Ta Çenc.
Comments like yours help us to improve the quality of our services and pampering more and more our Customers.
It was a real personal and professional pleasure for my Staff, Management and myself to welcome you and your wonderful family and I really hope to have the same pleasure again and soon.
Best regards to you, your dearest wife and a big kiss to the unique and fabulous children
Italico Rota,
Naxxar, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hotel is in a gorgeous location with gorgeous surroundings. The hotel itself however needs a make over. Its is tired and outdated. The pool area at the spa had rusty handrails and the plastic curtains that lead from the indoor pool to the outdoor pool were brown and dirty. The rooms had broken soffits and one of the lamps had the inner wires exposed. This is just mentioning a few things. The staff are friendly, they do their job and leave you alone which is perfect. I did like the fact that the General Manager took the time to come to the breakfast tables and say hello and introduce himself. I thought it was a great touch.

Another thing which irritated me to no end was the fact that there is NO FREE WIFI in the rooms. You have to pay for the wifi in the room!!!!!! The only free wifi is in the common areas. I thought that was ridiculous for a 5 star hotel.

All in all it was a very pleasant stay but I cannot say I was not disappointed. This hotel needs refurbishing !!! asap.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JBS70
Dear Sir,
this morning I have received your comments on Trip Advisor and I have to thank you for the contents.
As you mentioned, I had the pleasure to come every morning to see you and welcome you during the breakfast , but you never told me about the room and the Spa. Be sure that I have done all my best to follow your instructions asap.

About the WIFI I have reported to my Chairman that he has taken good note.
Also during your stay , I think you have seen our Maintenance men doing a lot of work in the rooms and in the pool. We could not do in the rooms occupied but after the departure of the Customers we have started to follow your instructions.
I sincerely hope you will excuse me and if you will come back again ( and it will be a pleasure for all of us) I will personally take full care of your self.
All my best regards.
Sliema, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have been to many five star hotels.Never before has the General Manager personally asked all those present everyday at breakfast time whether there was anything he could do for them. Needless to say the staff at the hotel mirrored the attitude of the General Manager.When I am treated like a King nothing else matters too much.

Room Tip: Best if close to reception area
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Italico R, General Manager at Hotel Ta' Cenc, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Mr. Adrian B.
I would like to thanks you 1.000 times for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor.
You really make my day and more. Your comments will help me and my Staff to try harder and do better and better, because the satisfaction of our Customers is the goal of our work.
I hope to welcome you again and soon and I must say that : Customers as you make my place.
All the best to you and family and again thanks, thanks and thanks.
italico Rota
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sannat
Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 29 in Sliema
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,289 reviews

Been to Hotel Ta' Cenc? Share your experiences!