“My favourite restaurant ever!”
Review of L-Ankra Restaurant - CLOSED

L-Ankra Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“My favourite restaurant ever!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We loved this restaurant - ate there twice and saved it for our last night in Gozo. the food is amazing lots of choice! The staff are excellent so friendly.
You have a complimentary bread and local meats and cheeses served to you before the starters which was yummy.
With meat dishes they sereve it with potatoes and delicious roasted style veg which they top up for you.
Lovely local wine which was cheap but delicious.
The decor is stunning and is a real must when in Gozo!!!

• Visited August 2012
Ginojohnpaul, Owner at L-Ankra Restaurant, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us , we appreciate your contribution, and we hope to see you dine with us again very soon.

Devon, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We visited Gozo for 14 nights and found this restaurant on our first night - everything about this place is right from the decor, to the friendly and informative front of house, to the magnificent food produced by the British chef. We loved this place so much we made sure to eat there on our last night, every meal we had was perfection on a plate and the menu is varied, sometimes making it difficult to choose. These boys have only been open since April 2012 but I predict they are going to be very successful - would thoroughly recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited August 2012

Siggiewi, Malta
“...worth visiting for a second, third time etc etc…”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

L-Ankra is just a stone throw away from the Gozo ferry terminal in Mgarr, making it ideal for Maltese wanting to make the short trip to the sister island without a car for a good lunch or dinner.
We were a table of 18 guests and the restaurant was almost full on a mid-week July Summer night. The serving staff managed to be courteous and helpful at all times even when the wine was leaving some effects on some 'happy' clients.

Food preparation was nice and quality of food very good with good sized portions. Prices were reasonable (Eur18.50 for 350gr rib-eye). L-Ankra is a restaurant worth visiting for a second, third time etc etc…

• Visited July 2012

harrogate, UK
“Excellent service and welcome”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We recently visited Gozo for my sister's wedding during our stay we booked this restaurant at 6pm for 24 people for the same evening. On arrival we were warmly welcomed and a table was all set up and ready for us. We were dealt with promptly and politely and were extremely well looked after during the whole evening, nothing was too much trouble. The food was tasty and good value and plenty of it.

The restaurant has a very clean, fresh and modern look to it and I would certainly recommend it to anyone visiting Gozo.

I would like to thank John Paul his wife and Giorgino for the excellent service they provided on the evening.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank SuePerryharrogate_UK

London
“Best restaurant I've ever eaten at”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We did a boat tour which included a three hour stop-off on Gozo. However the boat was running late, so our time was somewhat limited. We decided to find a restaurant close to the harbour and enjoy some lunch. We looked at the few other restaurants nearby and weren't impressed. I liked the look of this place and persuaded my husband to try it. The restaurant has a traditional and welcoming look. We were the only customers as I think they'd just opened. We were welcomed by the owner (I think), who was very friendly, attentive and unobtrusive. There was loads to choose from from the main menu as well as the daily specials. I had criadillas (bull's testicles) for a starter and my husband had the mixed platter. For our main's I had quail and he had the fish of the day, which was brought on a platter to the table for him to choose from. All served with salad, vegetables, potato wedges and freshly baked bread. The portion sizes were just right and this was some of the best food I have ever eaten. We were drinking mineral water and skipped the dessert. The bill came to under 50 euros, which I think was great value for what we had. If we'd been staying on the island, we definitely would have gone back and if we ever go to Gozo in the future, I will make a point of returning to this place.
The only criticism I can offer is that the plasma screens inside the restaurant showing images of swimming fish feel a little out of place, although they were strangely mesmerising.
This is a place to not be missed!

• Visited May 2012