“just excellent”
Review of Porto Vecchio

Porto Vecchio
Ranked #5 of 19 Restaurants in Mgarr
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Reviewed December 25, 2011

everything is super excellent here ! the welcome from the staff is fantastic, we visited the first time on june 2010 and again on 24 dec 2011, even though it was a busy night, no one was left out with no attention, quite and romantic atmosphere and lovely place , for surely i will never forget that parma ham roulade with cream cheese and my fiance had ribeye and he really loved it, well there is nothing missing from this restaurant. Not expensive, welcoming staff, quite and romantic atmosphere, great food and high class service ! One of the best restaurants in gozo, we will surely be back again for more ! Highly recommended !

1  Thank taste2love

Reviewed December 9, 2011

Dinner for 2 on 5 Dec. - our 1st visit and we had high expectations that were easily met; owner Chris and waitress Jenny gave us a very warm welcome and looked after us attentively throughout; the kitchen duly delivered a great set of dishes that included the fresh fish catch of the day; sea bream - correctly prepared by Chris at our table and a surprise birthday dessert for my partner; a nice touch. Overall a charming night out with tasty authentic food presented by a friendly passionate restaurateur - great! - we will certainly be back and would recommend as much for a romantic date as for a group of friends or family.

1  Thank Mike11b
Reviewed December 3, 2011

After reading the excellent reviews, I was really curious about this restaurant but I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. The food was not bad, but absolutely not exceptional either. Just an average local italian restaurant. We had the fish of the day and the gozitan style rabbit as main course, and both were a bit overcooked. The starters were a bit better, the fish ravioli was quite good, with a tasty filling and a nice sauce. The crêpe with ricotta and mushrooms was okay, but nothing worth remembering. I was hoping for a nice mushroomy taste, but all I could taste was the tomato sauce really. The poached pear with port sauce as a dessert was nice, but the lemon custard with cherry jelly was quite horrible, it had a very chemical taste.

They do have an interesting wine list, with lots of good italian wines. We had a Primitivo 2003 for 31 euros, it was a really strong and well developed wine.

The service was friendly and mostly efficient, but then there were only two occupied tables in the whole restaurant, there was actually more staff than guests. They offered coffee on the house but we never got it... But we didn't insist, because we wouldn't have taken it anyway.

Maybe this is one of the better restaurants on Gozo, we didn't try them all, but that tells more about the other restaurants than about this one!

Reviewed December 1, 2011

I live in Gozo and have found that the Porto Vecchio is one of the best restaurants on the island. I try to eat there at least twice a month and whenever I have company from Europe or the US, I will bring them there... The staff is great, especially Jenny and Robert and the food is outstanding

1  Thank ilovebayside
Reviewed November 21, 2011

After reading many reviews praising this restaurant I decided to try it out for myself. I ordered the soup of the day, carrot and pumpkin as a starter, and king prawns for the main course. My partner skipped the first course and went straight for the stuffed calamari which was a special dish of the evening.

To begin with my soup was very bland. The look and texture were ok but it seemed as if it was diluted with too much water. My main course, the prawns were ok but nothing special. Rice was served in a separate dish and arrived a few minutes after the main dish. Prawns were not as fresh as i would have liked. My partner's stuffed calamari were good and she seemed to like it. For dessert we shared the chocolate fondant. Unfortunately the fondant was not hot enough and the choclate inside did not ooze out of the cake as it was supposed to. Instead it just belly flopped onto the plate. Taste was ok but again my taste buds exploding with flavor.

Service was great. Staff were very friendly and helpful. As for value for money I think dishes are averagely priced.

I feel the restaurant can do better and perhaps being a Monday night in November did not help. Would consider trying it out again in the future.