“Tosca Restuarant makes Solana Hotel Proud.”
Review of Solana Hotel

Solana Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Attard
“Tosca Restuarant makes Solana Hotel Proud.”
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I visit restaurants all the time on both business and pleasure, and I am careful about where to host clients. In Mellieha, Tosca restaurant outshines any eater in the area not only in terms of the location, that is central (right on the main road, next to Bank of Valletta) yet quant (you can eat on the terrace or inside), but primarily because of its exquisite menu and customer service that is second to none in its category. I can see the chef has experience from the choice of ingredients, attention to detail and overall finishing. I commend Pierre Agius, the manager there for his team. I has a memorable eve, the duck breast and the beef Carpaccio were sumptuous and top-of-the-class. The veggies (especially the pasta like servings of carrots) were a delight! Who said hotel-based restaurants cant beat the rest? Well done. boys!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank RaydeBono

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Malta
Reviewed October 16, 2009

This was our first time going to Malta and it looked as though it was going to be a gamble. However it wasn't! It was the best holiday we have ever had.
My wife and I had been looking for a relaxing holiday after 9 whole months running our company. We chose this hotel as it was in a quite place and at the same time was not far away from the village centre.

We arrived in the middle of the night and the receptionist on check in was brilliant. He explained everything but not in such a way that he annoyed us. The view was immaculate. The bar is open 24 hrs a day so no problems if you get thirsty (as we were!!!!) and you need to drink.

We were booked on Self Catering and only opted to take breakfast from the hotel and then decide on our own where to have dinner. The breakfast was buffet and the food was delicious!!! For dinner we opted to eat at the Hotel during the Maltese Night and Country & Western night. The food was once again brilliant. Everything was perfectly cooked. No major problems.

We also opted to eat at the Tosca Restaurant. The food was perfectly cooked and we were made extremely welcome by the host Mark Busuttill. We were also offered a free bottle of wine. The Chef, Antonio, also took time and came to visit us during our meal to see whether we had been enjoying it.

The room was fantastic. The bed was extremely comfortable. It was cleaned basically everyday and the cleaning was perfectionised. We never had anything to complain about regarding the room.

The staff were all extremely friendly. Whenever they meet you in the corridor they are always very willing to see how everything is going and whether you would need anything else. The night receptionists were all extremely friendly. Upon checkin, the guy at reception took up the luggages to the room for us and also brought up a bottle of water and a bottle of wine. They were all very helpful. When asked for a favour they would all go out of their way to help us and were always on our case.

In other words this stay was brilliant! We would recommend it to everyone and have already booked for next summer!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jean Paul G
Mellieha, Malta
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I stayed at the Solana Hotel & Spa in September. It is the first time that I have visited this website and I am truly shocked to read some of the negative comments on this website. Most of the negative comments are not true – I found the Solana to be just right! It has been quite some time since I stayed in a hotel as good as the Solana.

Originally we were booked at the Maritim Hotel which ironically is situated just a few meters down the road from the Solana. On arrival at the Maritim they told us that we were overbooked and they said that they are going to put us at the Solana for the first night. We refused to accept and after much haggling they gave us a room with no balcony and overlooking reception!! Can you imagine……a room facing reception!! It is really nice and charming to hear people chatting, checking in and out and the telephone ringing all the time! After 1 day we asked to be moved to Solana and luckily they accepted! And from then on our holiday took a move in the right direction!

Solana was just perfect. We were allocated one of their new rooms overlooking the valley and the little and quiet garden. From the balcony we could see the valley of the village whilst from the roof the view of the bay and the islands of Gozo and Comino was just terrific. The room was large (in fact much larger than any other room of any other 4-star Hotel that I have previously stayed in) and it had a very large bathroom. It was kept spotlessly clean, in fact the cleaning is one of the things that should be mostly praised at the Solana!

We only took breakfast a few times at the Hotel because we slept in most mornings but I can say that their breakfast was good, abundant, and with a good selection. Mark (the restaurant manager) talked us into trying the Tosca Restaurant and we tried it amid being slightly wary of Hotels’ dinners. We were absolutely wrong! The marketing slogan for the Tosca is ‘elegantly affordable’ – believe me it is much more than this. Mark (the manager) and Antonio (the chef) made our evening at Tosca special. We even had the time to drink a beer together later which is one of the reasons that made our visit to Solana feel a bit special.

My only concern at Solana is price. We really doubt that with the service that they offer they can keep these prices!
So my recommendation to you is…enjoy it while you can!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank best_travel1
Czech republic
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for over a week and it was a lovely stay. The hotel is very nice, well presented, good facilities, located in the centre of Mellieha town just few meters from bus station - one is on the other side of the road of hotel entrance, the other is few meters away.

Hotel is very nice, clean, spacious and it looks quite new. Particularly the roof top pool is amazing - with exclusive view on the bay and Mellieha town itself. The surrounding area contains few good restaurants, pharmacy, bank, shops - everything you might need.

Breakfast was included in the room price and was adequate with a lot of choice. We ordered also dinner and it was definitely worth it.

Free WiFi internet connection available in the lobby. There's also a computer with internet access but I highly do not recommend it (screen flickering and really terrible keyboard - never seen anything so bad).

Great and I would like to repeat it once more - GREAT staff. Especially Yanika was very helpful in solving our toothache problem (finding pharmacy opened on Sunday etc.).

Nearest beach is about 2 bus stops away or 20 min. walk.

This hotel unless to Pergola hotel (Solana sister's hotel) deserves its 4 stars. I can't imagine being transferred to Pergola after booking room in Solana. Not surprised that the majority of negative feedback for this hotel comes from overbooking and people getting room in different hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Medvidek_11
ukraine
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We have stayed at the Solana Hotel for 2 nights between 29.09.09 – 01.10.09 & again from 05.10.09 – 07.10.09. We booked directly through Daniela and Ritienne who work at the Reservations Department. Their efficiency was fantastic and we immediately felt at ease booking this Hotel.
We had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and were a bit concerned at first but we totally changed our perception when we spoke to Daniela and Ritienne and we realized that we were absolutely right from the moment that we stepped in reception.

The Hotel is situated in the centre of the village opposite restaurants, buses, and next door to a bank! The location is just PERFECT! We were allocated a room overlooking the street on the top floor. There was no view but we didn’t mind it at all. Our room had double glazing windows and doors and it was very quiet considering that it overlooked Mellieha’s busiest road!

The food at the Solana is something not to be missed. We were on Bed & Breakfast basis but always ate at the Hotel. On Wednesday they do Maltese Night at the Bellini Restaurant and it was just fabulous! Definitely worth it! We also ate a couple of times at the Tosca Restaurant – the new fine-dining restaurant. The food abundant and the price just right!

The Hotel also has an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. The indoor pool is huge and very warm! There is also a Jacuzzi which you could use free of charge. Isabelle at the Spa Harmonique was fantastic. Always ready for a chat and really goes into explaining things making our Spa session more of a lesson! This is typical of the staff at the Solana..from the waiters to the cleaners they were all smiling and ready to help. We really felt welcome at the Solana Hotel and we will definitely return!!

Thanks for all the staff which made our holiday special!
See you soon Solana :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank ukrainian_traveller
The Mediterranean
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at La Tosca Restaurant which forms part of the Solana Hotel in Mellieha. The food was great and the service friendly and efficient. The feedback from our guests was extremely positive and as one of the guests remarked the whole evening was "faultless". All our needs were capably handled by Jonathan Grima who is the Head Chef and by Elaine who is the General Manager of the hotel.Although just opened we are certain that La Tosca will establish itself among the best restaurants on the island because of its great food, a warm ambiance, efficient and friendly staff and overall good value for money.

• Stayed October 2009
London
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I do not normally write reviews but my experience at the Solana coupled with the fact that reviews from previous visitors had helped me with my choice, prompted me to write one. The staff at the Solana are friendly and helpful and the service impeccable. The hotel is lovely, more than you would expect of a 4 star with its shiny clean walls and marble like steps. Our room was spacious albeit overlooking the main road which was a little noisy when the patio door was open. The evening entertainment in the lobby was refreshing and relaxing.
My husband and I and two preteen girls had a fantastic time at the hotel. The hotel staff embraces all its guests and treats each one with the utmost respect..
We were half board and there was a great variety and abundance of food daily, so we were spoilt for choice..
I've rated rooms as four because we stayed for 8 nights and the room was cleaned daily, however even though the beds were made, the bed linen was never changed.
I booked a wonderful massage from the lovely Gozo lady in the spa located in the basement of the hotel.
The hotel was a good base from which to explore Gozo and Malta with its ultra friendly people. It was my first visit but I love Malta and its people and will hopefully be back.
Thank you Solana staff for a lovely stay especially the little guy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Joodes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Solana Hotel? Share your experiences!