“The Solana truly deserves its 4 stars”

Solana Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I love coming to the Solana Hotel in Mellieha. I come here approx 3-4 times a year and every time I am more than pleased with the service I receive. The staff are ALL friendly, helpful and courteous, the rooms are spacious and well equipped and it is within walking distance to one of the most beautiful bays I have have ever visited and the bus lines running all over the island stop right in front of the hotel, making it easy and affordable to get to all the sights worth seeing.
The new spa in the hotel is an added bonus as it offers high quality treatments at affordable prices.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 13, 2009

I spent my last for days on Malta in the hotel Solana in Mellieha.

I got a very dark room when I checked in, on the ground floor, my window was facing an office room, with no light coming in, no balcony.
Very depressing!
I got told they didn't have any other rooms available...
Checked online for rooms in the hotel for my dates and after an hour I managed to get another room at least with a little balcony and more light, still facing a wall but with some sun in the morning.

Aircondition didn't work in my new room, for the whole 4 days.
Bathroom had only soap dispender.

Constructions going on next to the hotel.

Very large sunbathing area, on different levels but short off sun umbrellas.

Food average.

Restaurant staff very, very friendly.
Prices in the hotel very reasonable.
Clean rooms, fresh towels everyday.
Little supermarkets infront of hotel.
Good bus services.
Free Wifi, in the lobby!

If you don't expect too much, you can have a nice inexpensive holiday there.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 12, 2009

i was travelling with my friend and we had a great time.. starting from checking in up to checking out. All personnel in the hotel is very nice and really helpful, we got all information about whole Malta and Mellieha (for example restaurants, places to go and see, buses and excursion trips). The welcome meeting in the Pergola, sister hotel of Solana, was a nice experience and gave us a view for what to do. Room in the hotel looks the same as on picture , the bed was very comfy and room was really, really clean. Location of the hotel is just perfect, not too far from the beach, just walking distance and close to the bus stops. Oh! and food for breakfast was delicious.

We were more then happy to stay in Solana for during our holiday and we will come back there for sure.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I have been to the Solana Hotel last May and I have to say it was lovley!! We enjoyed our stay there and was a very nice experience! the pools are clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful!

Reviewed June 11, 2009

Hello,

We just returned from a 4 day stay at the Solana Hotel and I must say that we have been pleasantly surprised by the treatment that we were given. The rooms are large, and they are clean as if brand new! The bathrooms are large not like the tiny bathrooms that you usually get in a hotel!

The food was superb! Breakfast was a full buffet and dinner was also on a buffet which had different themes every night. Wednesday was Maltese night....really enjoyed the rabbit with spaghetti!

The staff and their friendliness made me feel Maltese and next time I visit Malta I already know where I’m staying!

Thanks Solana!

Reviewed May 18, 2009

I'm shocked to see reviews saying this hotel was dirty.
We've just spent a week there and I can honestly say that our stay from start to finish was brilliant. The room spacious, and cleaned every day. We used most of the facilities and everyone of them was always clean.
The pools both in and out were clean and never busy. The breakfast offers a wide range to suit all tastes.

They have a sister hotel the Pegola which has a spa also. It's only 5 mins away however we didn't use the spa so can't comment.

The area for some I can understand is out of the way but this was fantastic for us. Bus stops are outside and within 2 mins walking distance which service most major routes. The busses are so cheap it's a joy to use them to get around.
The walk down the hill to the beach is pleasant however after doing it once the bus Up the hill is reccommended! A vist to Poppey Village is a good way to pass a morning or afternoon if the weather turns a bit dull.

Personally we loved this area away from the hustle and bustle of other resorts nearby, Silema, St Pauls, Quawa. The great thing is you're away from the many Touts who are constantly bothering you on the street in other areas. There seemed to be several Time share agents who met of a morning in the hotel but we were never bothered once by these guys to be fair.

Our room was at the back of the hotel away from the main road. It was nice and quiet but with no view really. This didn't really bother us but just thought i'd mention it. If you have cats take them and they'll get fed. There seems to be an older lady and younger guy who feed 7-10 cats every evening on the wall opposite the back rooms. Very bizarre.

Eating out is also easy in this area. There are several restraunts on the main street within a couple of minutes so you can eat at a different place every night.

The staff are friendly and the reception always helpfull. We would definately come back to this hotel again. If you want to be lively in the evenings then maybe this area isn't for you as there's not much going on after 11pm. If you want peace and quiet but to get on the bus and get out and about, this place is perfect.

Reviewed May 17, 2009

I went to the Solana hotel for a weekend break with my partner. At first I had mixed feelings of what to expect as I'm not very familiar with the Northern part of Malta.

We arrived on a Friday evening, checked in and headed to our room. I've been to hotels all over europe as well as the US, ranging from Hiltons to W's to Sheratons ... and trust me you'll never find rooms as commodious as those. At the same it was very comfy, well lit, and with a very nice view of Mellieha's church and skyline. It was very nicely furnished and also had a very nice balcony (turned out magic with a glass of champagne).

My booking was b/b, which I really enjoyed as well - however I used room service quite alot (being quite a romantic weekend I enjoyed quite a few bottles of champagne and wine!). Service was fast and at very good prices.

As for the rest of the weekend it was really pleasant by the pool and we also did a couple of other activities by the hotel like spa, etc. One of the managers at Solana (I think Pierre was the name) was also really helpful and proactive in forwarding suggestions as to what kind of activities we can do through our stay. And I must say we enjoyed all of them!

I can sincerely say our stay at the Solana was amazing. You'll definitely see us back again!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Pergola Hotel & Spa
Ramla Bay Resort
Ramla Bay Resort
#7 of 12 in Mellieha
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Solana Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!