“Very Nice Vacation”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
NY
“Very Nice Vacation”
Reviewed July 4, 2007

I had a very good stay. The hotel was beautifull and the beach was too!! Ther wer no shopes in the hotel to buy any clothing (we had no close for 2 days due to our bagges getting lost at the air port). Ther is tho a small gift shop, dimand store and a small store with your basic things. The food was good. The people wer VERY nice. The resort is not close to town it is a short drive and the hotel will provide a shuddle or you can get a taxi.But make shure to reserve a spot on the shuddle. All in all tho I LOVED my stay.

• Liked — The pool, beach and spa.
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank CuteQHgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,147)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Stayed in a suite with balcony. Suite decor was lovely, except for the bathroom, which was intended for disabled people. Bathroom decor was very functional (think of public disabled bathrooms - not far off). with no bath (a problem with a young child) and bathroom floor got wet and slippery when you showered, as there was only a flimsy shower curtain and the shower flooring was level with the bathroom floor.

The view from the balcony was spectacular. Swimming pool area looks good with great views and large pools. There is a also a lovely beach just next to the hotel (note - it is not private, despite the hotel giving the impression that it is). Unfortunately, it was not hot enough to go swimming yet.

Service was mixed. One of the concierges very efficiently organised babysitters for us. With regards to some of the other staff, we made (reasonable) requests of some of them and they were friendly enough, with the standard reply being "no problem". However, it could be that nothing was a problem because quite a few times, despite reminders, our requests were not fulfilled.

All in all, though, this is a lovely hotel with great potential.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Inappropriate bathroom
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarbon
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2007

We visited Malta in mid-June, 2007. There were 3 adults, a 4 year old and a LOT of luggage (2 large bags each). We stayed at the SAS Radisson Golden Sands Resort (we traded out our timeshare through Interval). Through email to the resort I had them setup a car hire to get us from the Airport to the resort and I specifically told them there would be 4 of us with a lot of luggage. To my surprise upon arriving at the airport, they sent a small Mercedes. There was no way this was going to work! The cost for the taxi was 12.50ml which is at this time about $38.00 US. We sent all of the luggage, 1 adult and the child in the taxi while my wife and I took a bus. This actually turned out to be fun but because all busses go to the main hub in Valetta, we ended up on two busses and it took just about 2 hours to get from the airport to the resort (it’s only 25 minutes by taxi). At the resort there is a car-hire service called “Drifter”. For our return trip we arranged a large 12 passenger van (only 2.50ml more than the taxi) and this worked out great!

The resort was in our opinion on the high-end of the scale of timeshares and we've been to a bunch. Granted, this is probably about a 4 star or so hotel but definately above average for timeshares. Rooms are kept clean daily, the restaurants were reasonably priced and served a variety of menu’s which were well prepared. HINT: When you arrive in Malta get your driver to take you to a local food market en-rote to the resort. There is a deli at the resort but you can probably find many more items at the food market. The TS rooms have a full kitchen so you can cook just about anything you like (microwave too!). One thing I really appreciated was the free wi-fi access in the lobby and bar (inside and out) area’s. I was able to check my email daily with my laptop so that was a treat. Other places we went to this trip in Europe we’re getting on average $8.50eu per hour which just seemed outrageous.

Getting around Malta is not what I consider easy being an American. I’m not used to driving on the left side of the road and I wasn't about to try it....Glad I did! We did do this once on Grand Cayman island but there was little traffic. I really thought there was a lot of traffic in Malta….MUCH more than I expected. The other interesting thing is the lack of street signs so you really need to know where you’re going. Personally I would not recommend renting a car and trying to get around the island. However the bus system is not great and the busses are not air conditioned so be prepared! Getting a taxi to take you anywhere on the island is going to cost you near $40.00us each way.

I had read on TripAdvisor that the number one sight to see is the HAL SAFLIENI HYPOGEUM. OK, if you’re an archeologist you might get into it but for the average person (like me) I thought it was a huge waste of time and money (considering it cost $12eu pp and the taxi was $45.00us each way from the Radisson resort.

Leaving Malta: All I can say is that the airport security staff has been well trained by the former KGB. They are not at all nice and very strict on what you can carry on. One bag and only one bag and if you’re carrying purse, a bag of popcorn, or any other kind of bag, that’s your one bag….everything else you better check! These folks really need a course in customer relationship!

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank elindoo
Derbyshire
Reviewed June 26, 2007

We have just returned from the Radisson SAS, Golden Bay Resort, Malta and have also just experienced the worst week of my life and one that I will not be repeating again.

We travelled on a timeshare offer with Island Residence Club and although the price of the holiday was cheap for the standard of accommodation we will never travel on a timeshare deal again.

I have not used Trip Advisor before but I now wish that I had before contemplating this "resort" (if you can call it that!!). The hotel was nice, although the rooms needed a little fine tuning, as there were scuff marks on the walls and what looked like paint on the curtains, possibly from where they had rubbed against a freshly painted wall, also a fan in our room was bent and not working, the balcony doors did not lock and these led onto a balcony with easily climbable railing, which was quite worrying when you are 8 floors up with a 2 year old toddler who can scale a five bar gate with ease. We reported the doors to the Concierge upon arrival, who said that it would be sorted (but it was not), but we didn't notice the fan until the next morning, we reported the fan and the doors (again!) and maintenance turned up that morning and rectified both problems.

A warning regarding the minibar, this is electronically controlled and all items removed from the black pads inside are automatically added to your room bill, and the only notice you have is a triangular shaped piece of card with a small section notifying you of this fact or a small label inside the minibar with the same warning, which is a bit late when your child has already been in and tipped out all the items. However, I will give the hotel their due in that when we reported this little accident to Reception they were quite happy to remove the items from the bill.

Please be advised that this hotel is not for you if you like to be able to walk arround shops, bars and restaurants during the day or of an evening as the hotel is extemely remote, there is a free courtsey bus provided by the hotel but this has to be pre-booked a day in advance to guarantee you a seat, or you can hire a car. We found the taxis rather expensive but seemingly safer than the buses, the bus fares were excellent and you can travel quite a distance for 25 to 50 cents, one word of warning though, while we were there (end of June) temperatures were in excess of 40C and most bus stops do not have shade and buses can take up to 15 minutes to arrive and are not particularly pram friendly.

There is a childrens club for 4-12 year olds, but if you have children under 4 there is nothing for them, luckily the pool area was very nice and we spent most of our time there, but as we do like to roam there is only so much lying by the pool we like to do, unfortunately the private beach was not so private the bay was originally one beach and a section of it has been allocated to the hotel and the rest is public, although not a problem just a bit of a let down, and we only spent one day on the beach as we found it quite dirty anyway.

Flavours restaurant was quite reasonably priced for a 5* hotel, breakfasts were better than evening meals for variety and the service was good. Agliolio was appalling, we were sat for 15 minutes before being shown a menu or offered drinks, bread was brought to the table in a basket with a grubby knapkin and a used butter pack, when we complained it was taken away and returned with fresh butter, but same bread and basket...!!? Our little boy was sick (not because of anything he ate) so we left after that and ordered room service. Pebbles Beach Bar was also rubbish, the food was too fancy for children, for just a beach bar and again we waited several minutes for drinks. The poolbar was also expensive but good service. We did not use Essence as it is adults only and we did not use the bars. If you want cheap drinks use the Deli, although the food is geared more to the self catering timeshares, you can get crisps, biscuits and fruit at reasonable prices. We also ate in Apples Eye Cafe, just up the road from the hotel, this was the only place to eat outside the hotel and the food was good and cheap.

Also we used the laundry next to the Deli rather than room service as it only costs 3LM for a wash and tumble dry, wash liquid and softner provided (NB tokens needed for appliances may not be at Deli as informed but at main reception).

Usually we holiday in already established resorts, maybe if I had used Trip Advisor and read some of the reviews I would have thought twice about this hotel. In my opinion this is not a family hotel, this is a hotel for couples who like to sit on the beach or by the pool all day.

• Liked — Pool Area
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank anna1974Derbyshire
Hull,UK
Reviewed June 24, 2007

Having read various comments about the state of completion of this hotel, we expected someting far less than what we actually got! Yes, there are people there to sell you a deal of sorts, and we duly went through the 'blurb', but can honestly say that we were not pressured into anything, nor were we pestered throughout our stay.
The hotel was indeed 5*, and if you chose to eat and drink here, it would not be cheap! However, there are at least 3 options within 5 mins of the hotel (basic, but inexpensive) so you can stay in luxury and not overspend!
The service was excellent, and I was even sent a free birthday cake on my birthday!
The beach was clean and never overcrowded (except for a corporate event on the saturday), and it filled up in the evening when the locals descended along with their BBQ's, which added to the atmosphere.
The location is a bit far out from the island's main tourist spots, but not difficult to travel to and from. The local busses are worth a ride, just for the experience!
Overall, it's a great place to chill-out, and we were lucky to have had such good weather (mid 30's). The Brit tourists tend to be of an older generation, and that's not a bad thing if you are looking for a bit of peace & quiet!
We'll probably go back to Malta in about another 10 years, when it's finished!

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank benjiboy133
Milton Keynes, Bucks, UK
Reviewed June 18, 2007

My partner and I (a gay couple) booked this hotel as a celebration of our anniversary. Although it combined a required Timeshare talk and tour, we were happy with this as we'd got a cheap deal for the hotel.

We pre-registered with the hotel as Mr X & Mr Y, requested one king bed, so they knew we were a gay male couple. On arrival we were promised "taxi" transfers to the hotel - this turned out to be a bus (failure 1).

We arrived at the hotel after 10pm and were presented with and envelope addressed to Mr & Mrs X (failure 2). We were not offered a welcome drink (failure 3).

We arrived at our room, which as requested was a sea view - wonderful views too! My partner is diabetic, and therefore we had enquired when booking if there was a fridge in the room to store his diabetic drugs. We were advised there was a minibar which should be suitable. The minibar is operated by an outside company and is of the electronic type - move the item and you pay for it! We phoned reception to request it to be emptied and were advised it could be done, but there would be a daily charge of ML2 per day (£3.30). We asked for the duty manager to come to the room to discuss the matter. He arrived 30 minutes later (failure 4) and after outlining our disatisfaction, he agreed to empty the minibar and let us use it free of charge for the week. As a gesture of goodwill, he also offered us a drink of our choice. This took another 30 minutes to arrive in the room.

We went for a walk and returning to the room at gone midnight, the minibar still had not been emptied, so another call to reception (failure 5).

The following day, having had a rotten nights sleep on the foam pillows, we phoned "One Touch Service" to request 4 feather pillows. 40 minutes later, they had still not arrived, so I telephoned again, the operator advised that she would look in to it and come back to me personally. 10 minutes later the house keeping supervisor arrived holding 2 not 4 feather pillows. This required a further request for another 2 feather pillows (failure 6).
One hour after the first request, we were eventually in posession of the 4 feather pillows. In addition to this the bedroom had been made up, but the bed looked a complete mess.

We asked to speak to the Duty Manager to bring all of our findings to his attention and to pass on to the General Manager. He came to our room and took details, passed these on to the GM who did take the trouble of writing to apologise for all the shortcomings. He also offered us dinner in Essence (the hotels fine dining restaurant).

The following morning at 9.30am the maintenance team arrived and banged on the door to inspect the ceiling fan - despite the Do Not Disturb sign hanging on the door handle (failure 7).

After this, things started looking up - the room was well attended to and despite the stains on the carpet, curtains and scrapes on the wall, we began to enjoy our break.

We booked dinner in Essence for the Saturday evening. The setting was beautiful, the food exceptional, the service - well.........

The Head Waiter, other than ridiculing the british weather, trying to be funny, made a huge assumption - and yes, it really did make an [--] of him!

He came to our table and whilst laying cutlery, he commented that there was one thing missing from our table. We enquired as to what he was referring. His response was "Two ladies" OOOOOOOOOPS! (failure 8) I calmly responded "Well as we're celebrating our Anniversary tomorrow, we're unlikely to bring two ladies with us, are we. He never even had the decency to apologise, and simply walked away. Obviously with his tail between his legs!

On the last day, to compensate us for all the problems the GM agreed for us to have a late checkout. But after 12.00 this caused problems, They automatically checked us out and charged our credit card - we wanted to pay cash for our extra's! I tried to order ice creams from the pool bar and was refused as my account had been frozen. I had to trundle up to the reception where they reactivated my account and refunded the charges so I could pay cash (failure 9).

We love Malta and the people, but wouldn't return to the Radisson Golden Bay because of the general poor service standards. The accommodation and service are certainly not what you'd expect from a 5* hotel.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Wannabe_Jetsetters!
essex
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Having visited Malta last year for the 1st time and enjoyed our stay at the luna apartments, we came upon this hotel while looking for another decent beach, the setting looks lovely, if a bit isolated, by chance early this year we were approached by a timeshare co who offered us this hotel for accomedation, so we grab our tickets and here are our findings:

we arrived at 10am tired from an early flight, and informed room would not be ready till 3pm, we were offered complementary drinks, good start even if we was tired,
our appartment was a studio, which, while pleasant was confined, our view was rustic(rear hotel view) and the balcony was very small.
the room consisted of small kitchen area with microwave/fridge/2 ring hob & a 2 seater settee with table and a double bed, there was dressing gowns & slippers supplied, and clean towels every day if required. in general it was ok.

Service: proffesional, but could be stifling, maybe were not used to this kind of service, our cases were taken to our room and placed where we required them to be, at one time I went to pick one up and was almost jumped on, it was well intended but felt awkward to me, elsewhere the young staff were always on hand to get drinks, some approaching you to ask if you needed anything.

Area: main beach was clean & tidy even after the locals had a midnight drink & feast (2/3 times during the week) but when they left every bit of rubbish went with them, why can't we English be this proud??
on the hotel private beach beds& umberella are free and always available(this may change at height of season) one complaint here was the watersport jets being used in the area, there was a constant smell of fumes.

There are 3/4 restaurants in hotel, we only tried one, serving pasta/pizza this was not up to 5* standard, having previously booked a table we were kept waiting on arrival, even though it was only 1/3 full, eventually a girl did show us to a table but seemed a bit unsure where to put us, there was little conversation with us. the envoiroment left a bit to be desired as well, clean but dull. The soup starter was fine, nothing special, my main meal was ok but unknown to me my wifes meal (duck) was tasty BUT COLD. we didn't say anything at the time(my wife should have told me), at the end of the meal we did mention to the waitress the meal was cold and she said she would talk to the chef, nothing came of this, my questionaire sheet gave my view clearly!

We never used any of the other restaurants!

Instead went in to mellieha's best place to eat, The Halfway House, situated on the steep hill leading out of the town of mellieha on to the mellieha beach the prices are half what we was charged in the hotel place and is superb, try it.

we hired a car for the week this is essential if you book in to this hotel, on the plus side in general all the young staff do there best to help you enjoy the stay, but you get the feeling management think more of the corporate business people then individual customers, as I said we visited Malta last year and found the people and Island warm and inviting, this hotel was slightly cold and money orientated,
as a time share place we would say give it a miss(you don't want to know the cost!) this is only our opinion you may like it so check other reports

but for us, sorry, we will not be returning.

• Liked — the front room views could have been spectactular
  • Disliked — money orientated you had to pay even to have your fridge EMPTIED!!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank stevebillericay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Hilton Malta
#5 of 12 in Mellieha
Ramla Bay Resort
Ramla Bay Resort
#4 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands? Share your experiences!