“five star for the wrong reasons”

Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Unfortunately the Maltese standards arent as high as you would like.There are no showers to clean yourself after visiting the beach . Their are no life guards around the pool which is a tragedy waiting to happen .The timeshare IRC club customer care is none existent . No ATM at the hotel which is quite remote so a car is needed.

Positives: the Hotel is more like a 4star as we know with nice staff and a great kidsclub for 14 hrs a day. The food could be a little better.

A lot of inconsistencies as the price paid per week could vary enornmously which attracts all kinds.

the kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank simplyadam
Write a ReviewReviews (4,479)

Reviewed August 6, 2010

We had a lovely break here but we wouldn't go and stay there at hotel guests. We were offered a special deal where we would go out and attend a 2 hour presentation for a timeshare appartment. The hotel was good. Lots of restaurants to choose from. The childrens pool was great. The room wasn't as I was expecting - I was lead to believe that this was a 5 star resort but the room was decidedly 3 star. Very old and tired looking. I think they had begun redecorating the rooms but I think these were reserved for owners. The presentation that we committed to was supposed to be 2 hours but was over 5 hours in the end. The children were pooped and itching to get out and use up some energy - so were we!
The location is nice but the beach gets very crowded. You would need a car to go around the island - which we did for 3 days - and the hotel have a rental desk to do that. The hotel provide a bus service but the destinations are limited.
Only a small part of the beach is private and we found that the beach parties were very loud making the balconly a bit of a no go area some nights. I didn't mind the dance music but it did get on my husbands nerves ;o)
My son hurt himself at the pool on the last day and when I ran to get the concierge I found him to be extremely courteous, very helpful and very organised. By the time we got to the pool the medical staff were already there. He arranged a taxi for me to take my son to a clinic in Mosta and basically made a stressful situation much easier.
Malta is a beautiful place and the people are super friendly. I would love to go back there but perhaps not that hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Jinx_cat
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Returned yesterday from the Radisson after visiting on a £99 promotional visit. As I understood it, it was to view apartments to buy at the Radisson in Malta. Three hours into the presentation, having been shown around the hotel and made to sit and watch videos of properties in Barbados and Mexico we realised the girl was trying to sell us 'credits' to spend on future holidays. She didn't explain herself well and when she realised we weren’t interested (due to all the 'hidden extras' we had been told about by members...such as maintenance charges) she brought in reinforcements to try and persuade us. When we still said no we were then offered a further weeks stay, at a later date, for £1,500 incl, to reconsider! The presentation was uninteresting but as we only paid £99 had to be endured. I wouldn't take up an offer like this again as we both felt uncomfortable and pressured into parting with our money.

About the hotel: Lovely location, in fact we had stayed at the original Golden Sands hotel before the Radisson was built on the same site. Beautiful hotel, lovely inside and out. Been to Malta 9 times and love it, people are very friendly and polite, speak English, and the weathers great most of the year.

We were told we would be in an apartment but in fact ended up in a room only at the back of the hotel. We tried to change but just kept being told they would arrange something and get back to us, but this never happened. The view at the back is classed as country view, but in fact looked out over scout camps. Trucks and jeeps arrived one evening and numerous tents were set up. We left before the arrival of the scouts but I should imagine it could become quite noisy. The room itself was lovely, spacious, clean and with a large bathroom with fluffy towels and bathrobes, so no complaints there. We had a kettle but were not able to use the fridge as it was full of drinks that if moved, even slightly were charged to your bill as they were on some sort of sensor. We asked for them to be removed but were told we would be charged around 5 Euros a day! Never heard of this before in a 5 star, so was disappointed not to have use of the fridge to chill drinks. Instead we took ice to the room from one of the bars each evening.

Food; was expensive compared to other places on the island and the carvery we had on the last night wasn't great:: Chewy Gammon with only one veg included. We fed most of the meat to the cats who hanging around the terrace where we ate. Most lunch times we ate at Munchies the beach bar, which had fresh food daily and much more reasonable prices. Evenings we went across to the 'Apples Eye' cafe near the hotel, which had lovely food and was full to bursting most nights, so it seems other guests were doing the same thing. It would have been nice to go out to each elsewhere but the hotels courtesy bus stopped late pick ups after around 7pm (we were told they used to run till midnight) local busses stopped around 7pm too, so we were stuck unless we paid for taxis or a hire car.

Pools: Two outdoor pools which looked lovely but were in fact over run with children in both. (yes I realise it was the start of the school holidays) One of the outdoor pools was supposed to be for members only but, as members told us, was never enforced, as the staff said they couldn't control it. I felt this wasn't fare to owners who had paid premium prices. Children and adults were diving in, (notices around saying no diving) even off the water feature/rocks at the side of the pool, and jumping around in the Jacuzzi. In my opinion one of the outdoor pools should have been adult only as they were both quite big. Great for families though not so good if just a couple wanting to relax or swim. The indoor pool was supposed to be adult only in the afternoons but each time we looked in there were children in there too. Good idea but again nothing was done to control this by the staff.
Quite windy at times so weren't always able to use the umbrellas and not easy to find shade without, (was so hot). We watched one umbrella fly over the cliff and down to the beach.

Beach; Most days we spent some time on the beach. Lots of rocks and stones make for a difficult walk into the sea. The hotel claim it to be a private beach for guests, but in fact, they hire the sun beds out to anyone who wants one. (There was a sign on the beach) Great for them to make more money but not so good as we couldn't always find a free sun bed. There is a lift which not everybody realised to take you up and down to the beach.

Hotel shop; As we didn't have an apartment we didn't use this although we did look in. Prices were very high. eg; Box of cornflakes 7.50 Euros. More supermarkets in Buggiba, much better priced, but again you can't carry much on the bus, so would need the use of a car really. We did notice guests bringing in bags of food and drinks.

Entertainment; We watched a couple of singers and the Ace Line dances who were good. I felt sorry that they had nowhere really to perform, just on the terrace with no lighting at all. We watched waiting staff and guest tripping over the wires from the mics as they walked past. We felt this was unusual for a 5 star hotel.

To Sum up; I feel this hotel would suit families with small children, not really couples, as it was too crowded. There was a kids club by the side the pool and the children seemed to be enjoying it. Teenagers wouldn't find much to do here. An apartment would be better as the restaurants were expensive. A hire car would make buying food/drink and getting out and about a lot easier. Great holiday for £99 but wouldn’t pay full price to stay here.

Malta's lovely but we would choose a quieter place next time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank chellefaye
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights. The rooms were large, quiet, and included a full kitchen.

Unfortunately, there is no ATM in the hotel. Getting to an ATM isn't easy unless you have a car or hire a taxi.

The front desk staff were rude every time we interacted with them. When arriving at restaurants in the hotel, even with a reservation, we routinely had to wait at least 5 minutes before someone would even acknowledge us.

There is free wifi in the common areas, but only wired internet in the rooms.

The beach, pool, and ping-pong table make this experience average, otherwise this hotel would be a poor rating.

Overall, a okay experience.

3  Thank k4Ysi4d
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I will at this point say I personally did not stay at the hotel but visited friends within the hotel complex however I was so impressed at the variety of both activities and entertainment that I felt the need to express it to others thinking of staying at Radisson Blu Resort or indeed visiting it for an evening of dining and entertainment. I was taken into the childrens room one evening when I had joined my friends and their siblings for one of the cabaret evenings and was told by a delighted child that Manuel who I have to say is an amazing singer had not only drawn the pictures which could be coloured in but proceeded in the interval to produce a balloon toy for another child whose birthday it was. The cabaret shows are the best entertainment I have ever seen and enough to make anyone return time & time again as indeed it seemed they do talking and listening to other people both residents and non residents. The children enlightened me on other activities they had participated in aided by their new found 'friends' Rajko, Sonya and Manuel to name a few from the six or eight strong animation team. Having people who actively enjoy being with the younger ones takes alot of pressure off the parents to enable them to enjoy a much earned rest. My friends had been on a country walk and taken part in the salsa evening again both it seems with Manuel - a very talented man. If there is one critisism I do think the more senior residents need more encouragement to participate, maybe an afternoon slot of songs from yesteryear where they could sing along or an afternoon 'tea' dance perhaps. I think the hotel is in a wonderful setting and with the 'yes I can' attitude gives a very relaxing holiday where worries can be disapated by others.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank deborah_godfrey7
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My wife and I have just returned after spending 14 days at this wonderful resort in Malta this will have been our 5th year at the Radisson and we just love it. I cannot believe some of the reviews on Tripadvisor that this is not a five star resort we have been in a lot of five star hotels around the world this one beats them all.

The hotel is in an excellent location if you want a quite holiday away from it all but is only minutes away from other neighbouring towns where there are loads of nightlife and restaurants the hotel runs a mini bus most nights.

There are plenty of excellent restaurants within the hotel and I can assure you you would be hard to please if you cannot get one to suit your requirements we have enjoyed a meal in them all. They are reasonably priced comparing them with the same standard of restaurants in neighbouring towns.

The other facilities at this resort too numerous to mention are all excellent and all the staff are trained to meet the needs of the guest's of a five star resort. They have excellent manners nothing is too much trouble for them.
Radisson are very lucky to have an excellent General Manager at this resort as he is hands on and you see him walking through the resort several times a day making sure that everything is just right for his guest's

I would say that Golden Sands is like a good bottle of wine the longer you keep it the better it gets and the 5 years we have been going to this resort it gets better every year. We keep saying it cannot get any better but every year it proves us wrong as they keep introducing something different.

I have only one thing to say this resort is an excellent family friendly hotel and it is so good we have booked another 14 day holiday for 2011 at the Radisson Golden Sands Malta.

5  Thank snowtime
Reviewed July 11, 2010

My husband spoke to someone over the phone about a promotion of £99 per couple for a week in this hotel. To be quite honest I was really put off by some of the comments & reviews I'd seen all over the Internet, but I decided to go over with an open mind as it wasnt worth getting worked up about.
I must say I was pleasantly surprised. We got picked up from the airport & taken over to the hotel(about 25-30mins away). The hotel itself was beautiful-marble everywhere, comfy sofas in the reception area, big glass doors & windows overlooking the bay.
We where given a country view room (the view wasnt as nice as the seaview-but hey all we payed was £99). The bed was slumber heaven though i wish the pillows where slghtly higher, as I ended up with a stiff neck the first night. We also got the mini-bar emptied out so we could put our own breakfast things in from the Deli (bfast at the hotel is €16 per person i think).
We met up with one of the reps who took us for a tour of the hotel, the guy was lovely, he showed us the facilities & 'pitched' us for the timeshare on the resort. Unfortunatly its a bit out of our price range, so we declined to both him & his manager & they sent us on our way.
We didnt hire a car, we used the public bus service, hotels busses & we got along fine(its only a small island after all). Food in the hotel was a little expensive, but we where given a discount card whitch helped quite a bit. The pools & the beach where fantastic + we got free towels, sunbeds etc.
Anyway all in all a holiday we wont forget & I recomend to whoever is reading, Everyone is different, so just go & give it a try for yourself!!

4  Thank stef108
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Hilton Malta
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's

Been to Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands? Share your experiences!