“Nice Rooms, Nice Beach, Poor Customer Service, No ATM” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
United States
“Nice Rooms, Nice Beach, Poor Customer Service, No ATM”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights. The rooms were large, quiet, and included a full kitchen.

Unfortunately, there is no ATM in the hotel. Getting to an ATM isn't easy unless you have a car or hire a taxi.

The front desk staff were rude every time we interacted with them. When arriving at restaurants in the hotel, even with a reservation, we routinely had to wait at least 5 minutes before someone would even acknowledge us.

There is free wifi in the common areas, but only wired internet in the rooms.

The beach, pool, and ping-pong table make this experience average, otherwise this hotel would be a poor rating.

Overall, a okay experience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank k4Ysi4d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,090)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

I will at this point say I personally did not stay at the hotel but visited friends within the hotel complex however I was so impressed at the variety of both activities and entertainment that I felt the need to express it to others thinking of staying at Radisson Blu Resort or indeed visiting it for an evening of dining and entertainment. I was taken into the childrens room one evening when I had joined my friends and their siblings for one of the cabaret evenings and was told by a delighted child that Manuel who I have to say is an amazing singer had not only drawn the pictures which could be coloured in but proceeded in the interval to produce a balloon toy for another child whose birthday it was. The cabaret shows are the best entertainment I have ever seen and enough to make anyone return time & time again as indeed it seemed they do talking and listening to other people both residents and non residents. The children enlightened me on other activities they had participated in aided by their new found 'friends' Rajko, Sonya and Manuel to name a few from the six or eight strong animation team. Having people who actively enjoy being with the younger ones takes alot of pressure off the parents to enable them to enjoy a much earned rest. My friends had been on a country walk and taken part in the salsa evening again both it seems with Manuel - a very talented man. If there is one critisism I do think the more senior residents need more encouragement to participate, maybe an afternoon slot of songs from yesteryear where they could sing along or an afternoon 'tea' dance perhaps. I think the hotel is in a wonderful setting and with the 'yes I can' attitude gives a very relaxing holiday where worries can be disapated by others.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank deborah_godfrey7
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

My wife and I have just returned after spending 14 days at this wonderful resort in Malta this will have been our 5th year at the Radisson and we just love it. I cannot believe some of the reviews on Tripadvisor that this is not a five star resort we have been in a lot of five star hotels around the world this one beats them all.

The hotel is in an excellent location if you want a quite holiday away from it all but is only minutes away from other neighbouring towns where there are loads of nightlife and restaurants the hotel runs a mini bus most nights.

There are plenty of excellent restaurants within the hotel and I can assure you you would be hard to please if you cannot get one to suit your requirements we have enjoyed a meal in them all. They are reasonably priced comparing them with the same standard of restaurants in neighbouring towns.

The other facilities at this resort too numerous to mention are all excellent and all the staff are trained to meet the needs of the guest's of a five star resort. They have excellent manners nothing is too much trouble for them.
Radisson are very lucky to have an excellent General Manager at this resort as he is hands on and you see him walking through the resort several times a day making sure that everything is just right for his guest's

I would say that Golden Sands is like a good bottle of wine the longer you keep it the better it gets and the 5 years we have been going to this resort it gets better every year. We keep saying it cannot get any better but every year it proves us wrong as they keep introducing something different.

I have only one thing to say this resort is an excellent family friendly hotel and it is so good we have booked another 14 day holiday for 2011 at the Radisson Golden Sands Malta.

5 Thank snowtime
Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

My husband spoke to someone over the phone about a promotion of £99 per couple for a week in this hotel. To be quite honest I was really put off by some of the comments & reviews I'd seen all over the Internet, but I decided to go over with an open mind as it wasnt worth getting worked up about.
I must say I was pleasantly surprised. We got picked up from the airport & taken over to the hotel(about 25-30mins away). The hotel itself was beautiful-marble everywhere, comfy sofas in the reception area, big glass doors & windows overlooking the bay.
We where given a country view room (the view wasnt as nice as the seaview-but hey all we payed was £99). The bed was slumber heaven though i wish the pillows where slghtly higher, as I ended up with a stiff neck the first night. We also got the mini-bar emptied out so we could put our own breakfast things in from the Deli (bfast at the hotel is €16 per person i think).
We met up with one of the reps who took us for a tour of the hotel, the guy was lovely, he showed us the facilities & 'pitched' us for the timeshare on the resort. Unfortunatly its a bit out of our price range, so we declined to both him & his manager & they sent us on our way.
We didnt hire a car, we used the public bus service, hotels busses & we got along fine(its only a small island after all). Food in the hotel was a little expensive, but we where given a discount card whitch helped quite a bit. The pools & the beach where fantastic + we got free towels, sunbeds etc.
Anyway all in all a holiday we wont forget & I recomend to whoever is reading, Everyone is different, so just go & give it a try for yourself!!

4 Thank stef108
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

We have just returned from 7nights at the Radisson hotel in malta - on a special promotion for my partner, my self and my 2 children aged 3 and 7.

The weather was beautiful if not a little bit to hot (but you cant help the weather) The hotel and resort facilities were fantastic everything you need or could want for a holiday. The food was fantastic - a little bit pricey for a family of 4 but with the 20% off card we received it made it very reasonable.

The beach is beautiful, clear warm water and plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas. It reached around 35 degrees while the and a warning to other parents there is quite a breeze in golden sands area because you are right on the coastfront need to be carefull with little ones.

Our room was big and airy with a seperate living area and 2 balconys. Air conditioning was a godsend in the middle of june. We had a room in the end tower was very nice a quiet on a night - (the maids start early though so if you fancy a lay in be sure to leave your do not distrub sign on the door)!
We had a lovely young girl as our maid she changed the children's bedding everyday for us and we had fresh towels everyday too. Everyday we would leave our room a little messy with toys and things on the floor and every afternoon on our return there wasn't a thing out of place it was always spotless - the maids do a great job and a very reluctant to take any tips of you.

We spent the week by the pool or on the beach we do hope to return to malta when its not as hot to visit certain places and go sightseeing as it was far to hot in June.

we had to attend a 3 hour "preview" while we were at the resort - we did this on our 2nd day and to my own surprise we quite enjoyed it. Yes they try sell you membership to there vacation club but why else do u think that you are getting a cheap holiday. We were honest from the start and said with 2 young children it wasn't worth our while or in our price range - which the lady representitive we were with was very understanding - showed us around the resort and even told us great places to take the children in malta and gave us some brochures on the hotel ect and said maybe one of our friends would benefit from a membership with them.
I do have to add if we had the money to have bought i think we may have been very tempted!
Also for the record, we did not feel at any moment that we were been pressurised or given the "hard sell" - as we were honest from the start that we loved the hotel but could not afford a membership with them.

The animation team and evening entertainment were of a high standard and did entertain the children even in the hot weather and also they had some great singers on one of the nights too. We didnt stay in the entertainment area every night as the children were tired with the sea air and heat but one trip we did do was on the wednesday a BBQ boat trip to the blue lagoon which was fantastic.

We did one other trip whilst in malta, which was a boat trip around the island with Captain Morgan I DO NOT reccommend any body to pay the €40 per person for this trip as the boats where crammed with people and the lunch (which is really what you pay for) was like feeding time a the zoo with grown men pushing my children out to get the the buffet!

On the whole we LOVED malta and the hotel is OUTSTANDING a true 5* Radisson hotel. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family and one day will return to stay at this hotel and many other Radisson Hotels.

IF YOU GET THE CHANCE TO STAY HERE - TRY FOR YOURSELF INSTEAD OF LETTING OTHER JUDGE FOR YOU!

I hope you enjoy the resort and Malta as much as me and my family did!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Webster0099
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

i have just returned from a 2 week break, in malta.

This hotel was beautiful - a typical Radisson hotel.

I have stayed in many Radisson hotels and this sea front resort was no exception to the standard and service i have always received.

This was my 1st time to malta - with my husband. We had never visited malta due to thinking it was not a place we would enjoy but we were wrong and defiantly will return in the near future as it has so much to offer a do for tourist even though it is only a tiny island.

We booked the hotel through Thompson and went half board for around £3500 for 2 of us for 14nights. The hotel is in a beautiful location with lovely country side for nice walks and a sandy beach to relax.

The staff were very friendly and would tie your shoe laces for you if you let them - the maids were great - and reception staff very efficient and helpful through the checking in process.

During our stay at the Radisson hotel we were asked if we would like to have some information on there membership club, i had no intention of becoming a member but no harm in been given information- as nice a the hotel was a the rep who wanted us to join it was worth me becoming a member as i am a member with Marriott Hotels which are of the same calibre as this hotel.

DO's - Eat in essence - beautiful fish restaurant, go snorkeling or diving at the resort beach

DONTS - exchange your money at the resort as the exhange rate in considerably less than what you can get in mellieha village centre (5minutes away)
rent a car through there car rental desk as the prices on the interent are Much cheaper.

I am sure that we will be returning to malta - and maybe even this hotel.
If you want true 5* treatment and rooms then with no hestitation i recommend this hotel.

2 Thank Roberts2007
South Bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

Hotel has good sea views, so insist on having a seaview room,preferably in block twilight or sunset. Our corner appartment was a good size with a long balcony, though as another review said, the sheets on the bed did not fit and the pillows are a bit odd.
We did not eat in any of the restaurants except Essence which was good,although quite expensive. Lovely terrace outside with the evening sun till around 8pm. Did not eat elsewhere in the hotel because of other reviews and comments from IRC staff !
The pool area is good, go to the far end to get away from small children, even though you can't escape from them altogether.......and we were there during term time.
They have new sun loungers but they are so hard and uncomfortable, not a pleasant experience lying on them.
The ' on site ' shop/deli is very expensive. If you are going to use your kitchen, shop elsewhere.
The hotel is quite remote as people say but the shuttle bus system seems to work up to early evening, it stops around 7pm. We hired a car for 5 days which makes things a bit easier for sight seeing etc. although parking the car sometimes was not easy as they have so many weddings ( 3 the week we there there ) and other functions going on. Very noisy, and one day they they cordoned off some of the pool area for a Tupperware convention at around 4pm.
It was very hot when we were there so we didn't do much but what we did see in most of the places was a lot of building work going on. Cranes everywhere. The whole of Malta was so built up.....not what I was expecting. Even when they mention ' small fishing villages ' forget Devon or Cornwall, these places are not idyllic in the least, they sometimes sprawl into the next town like St. Pauls Bay leading into Bugibba. Everyone we spoke to said to keep away from Bugibba.
However in St. Pauls Bay you will find a lovely restaurant called Tarragon ( Church St.) tel. no.+356 21573759. The owner /chef is called Marvin and his staff especially his sister look after you brilliantly and the food is excellent. We went twice, closed I think on Tuesdays. Ask for a ' window table' , lovely views.
The other restaurant we loved is called Bacchus in Mdina which is well worth a visit especially in the evening when the lights go on.
Valletta again has a lot of building work going on, some ares around the port are quite attractive I guess.
We did stay at The Radisson on a promotional basis and went off for our ' talk ' in a negative frame of mind. However seven and a half hours later my other half had signed the dotted line after I had left for the pool.
We did not realise that this promotion was not just about Malta but worldwide resorts. What they tell you is quite interesting but sounds too good to be true. £124 for a week anywhere in the world in a 5* hotel seaview room ????
Then one person who had signed told us that he had ' bought ' a room at the back of the hotel as they were going to build a golf couse there. Later on that day one of the IRC people told us that was not going to happen at it would be far too expensive as Malta does not have enough water etc.
Having looked at the T&Cs at length and found that there were quite a few different companies involved we changed our minds.
They also require you pay a charge of roughly £500 per annum aswell as the cost of your package, which if you are interested, do haggle as we had ours reduced by around four thousand pounds,probably could have done even better maybe.

In spite of all this, the resort itself is good if you just want a relaxing time and lie in the sun. The staff we found to be friendly and always courteous, we did not find the IRC people to be intrusive.

Do not go end of June through to September if you can't stand the heat !

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LDSouthBucks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Hilton Malta
Ramla Bay Resort
Ramla Bay Resort
#4 of 12 in Mellieha
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,730 reviews

Been to Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands? Share your experiences!