“Fab Holiday”

Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This hotel was very nice with a great room including a small well equipped kitchen area there was a small deli with fresh bread, milk and bits and bobs that make a bit of self catering nice.The bus service was 12 euros for the week hop on and off no real need to hire a car,The staff are all helpful and the hotel was immaculately kept inside and out with a lift back up from the beach. The short bus ride to other bays near by had good restaurants and nice walks on sea fronts with the football in pubs and sports bars Malta is a nice safe place for a week with a lot of history

Room Tip: A sea view room is nice
3  Thank SwanseaTaf
Write a ReviewReviews (4,449)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The Radisson Blu at Golden Sands is a superb holiday experience. The hotel is very well appointed and has first class restaurants and bars. The Spa is very good with a good size pool and the usual Spa treatment rooms.
The outdoor pools are first class and the resort boasts a private beach.
The bedrooms are modern and well maintained. Some offer sea view, whilst others a view of a camp site ( the only bad point) But as we say you don't spend your holiday in your room.
The staff are excellent and Malta is superb.

Room Tip: Ask for Sea view
7  Thank kingston3468
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is my second review, last year I was a Radisson guest as part of their promotional campaign to generate timeshare business. This visit was the first af three visits I purchased ubder the treial membership scheme available to those who do not wish to spend vast sums for interminable holidays at the same p[lace.

Arriving in the small hours after a late flight I was dissaopinted to get a room overlkooking the scrubland at the rear of the hotel, similar to the view I had last year. My expectation this time was a room with a sea view but I was informed (later) that no rooms of that type were free. Perhaps this disappointment is down to me for being insufficiently vigilant, as always caveat emptor.

During the week one had reason to be disappointed with front desk service.. One evening I needed a voucher to use the internet. There were none left. "Use your laptop" said the receptionist followed by a shrug of the shoulders. I did actually ask if there had been a change of management recently because attitudes have certainly changed In the past year.

Apart from the view the apartment was a good size, scrupulously clean and the beds comfortable. The kitchen was well kitted out, although we did little self catering. the service from the housekeeping staff was very good.

Since the hotel is in up country Malta a car is really an essential part of the holiday. There are buses from the hotel gate run by ARRIVA. The timetables produced by the company seem to be unrelated to reality and travelling by public transport can leave you frustrated and some times stranded. The hotel does have a minibus service to a number of resorts and the fares are reasonable.

The taxi fare to the airport or 50 euro return or 30 euro single.

The breakfast is buffet style with a good selection and fizzy wine is also available. The selection of the cold buffet has diminished, for example no smoked salmon this year.

In spite of my comments I shall probably go again, but ensuring that I specify exactly what I want before I go..

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the hotel overlook rather unattractive scrubland and a scout camp. There is lit...
2  Thank rabjohn
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have just returned from a 3 night / 4 day visit to Malta to visit my other half's family there. We decided this time rather than to stay with family, to book a decent hotel (as I am expecting - this was a little final break)

I found all the staff to be polite and extremely helpful. The hotel itself was immaculately clean and in good condition (can only assume it's been updated since previous comments to the contrary)

Although there was a little queue at check in, we were brought drinks and sweets while we were in the queue. And although our room was clean and comfortable, when we saw the room next door was MUCH bigger and asked if we could move after the first night (saying no problem if not) we were immediately moved into a much bigger room.

I swam in the indoor pool a couple of times for exercise and mainly had the pool to myself, it served the purpose and was warm and clean.

The pools outside are lovely, but very cold, although we braved it as we felt obliged! Again, clean and well maintained. There were plenty of places to relax and catch some sun.

We used Mokka cafe twice - the salads were lovely, arrived quickly and price was what you'd expect in a hotel (maybe service would be slower in high season?)

We also sat on the private beach for a day, and used the beach service which was a little sporadic, but acceptable and the beach WAS busy that day as the weather was so glorious.

Breakfast was fabulous and I'd recommend it - a variety of cereals, dried fruit, fresh fruit, fruit salad, cooked breakfast choice, cheeses, meats, yogurt and an egg station cooking eggs anyway you'd like.

For a treat we paid a visit to the spa where the other half and a deep tissue massage and I had the mums to be package, both were brilliant and worth the money.

On the second night we also walked across the beach to the little restaurant on the sand - Munchies, where we had a pizza and a salad between us. Well priced and so much food we couldnt finish. I do think you'd need a car to investigate the island from this hotel, but it's a great base. And if you just want to relax you wouldn't actually need to leave. Though I'd recommend lunch at Marsaxxlok harbour

Room Tip: be specific about what you want. The view is incredible
2  Thank Tinsell
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had a lovely relaxing time the weather was good for May but you do get a lot of wind during differant times of the day, the food for the evening buffet was not that good but you could not fault the breakfast buffet

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Spinnakerquay
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Came to Malta for the first time with my friend! Very good service and friendly staff! Everything at the highest level, just positive experience! I would like to thank a lot the employee Emilia, which facilitated our existence in Malta and at the highest level has met all our whims and wishes!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Abakar A
Reviewed May 15, 2013

we stay here every year and the staff are constantly fabulous, they are all very attentive and helpful, ensuring our stay is special year after year !! We will continue to visit and enjoy this resort, highly recommended !!

Room Tip: The sea views are amazing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Hilton Malta
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands? Share your experiences!