“What a difference a year makes”

Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is my second review, last year I was a Radisson guest as part of their promotional campaign to generate timeshare business. This visit was the first af three visits I purchased ubder the treial membership scheme available to those who do not wish to spend vast sums for interminable holidays at the same p[lace.

Arriving in the small hours after a late flight I was dissaopinted to get a room overlkooking the scrubland at the rear of the hotel, similar to the view I had last year. My expectation this time was a room with a sea view but I was informed (later) that no rooms of that type were free. Perhaps this disappointment is down to me for being insufficiently vigilant, as always caveat emptor.

During the week one had reason to be disappointed with front desk service.. One evening I needed a voucher to use the internet. There were none left. "Use your laptop" said the receptionist followed by a shrug of the shoulders. I did actually ask if there had been a change of management recently because attitudes have certainly changed In the past year.

Apart from the view the apartment was a good size, scrupulously clean and the beds comfortable. The kitchen was well kitted out, although we did little self catering. the service from the housekeeping staff was very good.

Since the hotel is in up country Malta a car is really an essential part of the holiday. There are buses from the hotel gate run by ARRIVA. The timetables produced by the company seem to be unrelated to reality and travelling by public transport can leave you frustrated and some times stranded. The hotel does have a minibus service to a number of resorts and the fares are reasonable.

The taxi fare to the airport or 50 euro return or 30 euro single.

The breakfast is buffet style with a good selection and fizzy wine is also available. The selection of the cold buffet has diminished, for example no smoked salmon this year.

In spite of my comments I shall probably go again, but ensuring that I specify exactly what I want before I go..

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the hotel overlook rather unattractive scrubland and a scout camp. There is lit...
2  Thank rabjohn
Write a ReviewReviews (4,479)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have just returned from a 3 night / 4 day visit to Malta to visit my other half's family there. We decided this time rather than to stay with family, to book a decent hotel (as I am expecting - this was a little final break)

I found all the staff to be polite and extremely helpful. The hotel itself was immaculately clean and in good condition (can only assume it's been updated since previous comments to the contrary)

Although there was a little queue at check in, we were brought drinks and sweets while we were in the queue. And although our room was clean and comfortable, when we saw the room next door was MUCH bigger and asked if we could move after the first night (saying no problem if not) we were immediately moved into a much bigger room.

I swam in the indoor pool a couple of times for exercise and mainly had the pool to myself, it served the purpose and was warm and clean.

The pools outside are lovely, but very cold, although we braved it as we felt obliged! Again, clean and well maintained. There were plenty of places to relax and catch some sun.

We used Mokka cafe twice - the salads were lovely, arrived quickly and price was what you'd expect in a hotel (maybe service would be slower in high season?)

We also sat on the private beach for a day, and used the beach service which was a little sporadic, but acceptable and the beach WAS busy that day as the weather was so glorious.

Breakfast was fabulous and I'd recommend it - a variety of cereals, dried fruit, fresh fruit, fruit salad, cooked breakfast choice, cheeses, meats, yogurt and an egg station cooking eggs anyway you'd like.

For a treat we paid a visit to the spa where the other half and a deep tissue massage and I had the mums to be package, both were brilliant and worth the money.

On the second night we also walked across the beach to the little restaurant on the sand - Munchies, where we had a pizza and a salad between us. Well priced and so much food we couldnt finish. I do think you'd need a car to investigate the island from this hotel, but it's a great base. And if you just want to relax you wouldn't actually need to leave. Though I'd recommend lunch at Marsaxxlok harbour

Room Tip: be specific about what you want. The view is incredible
2  Thank Tinsell
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had a lovely relaxing time the weather was good for May but you do get a lot of wind during differant times of the day, the food for the evening buffet was not that good but you could not fault the breakfast buffet

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Spinnakerquay
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Came to Malta for the first time with my friend! Very good service and friendly staff! Everything at the highest level, just positive experience! I would like to thank a lot the employee Emilia, which facilitated our existence in Malta and at the highest level has met all our whims and wishes!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Abakar A
Reviewed May 15, 2013

we stay here every year and the staff are constantly fabulous, they are all very attentive and helpful, ensuring our stay is special year after year !! We will continue to visit and enjoy this resort, highly recommended !!

Room Tip: The sea views are amazing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Nice buildings,inquisitve shape like buhaus. Cosy space and surroundings. Nice friendly people.
Good area for vacation. Only in Mokka Bar you have to look for waiters, but if you have time...there is no problem.

Room Tip: Higher floors are leisure, and ask for seaside view.
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We arrived on Sunday May 5th and stayed one week. I highly recommed reading the forums to get a lot of great advice that will save you time/money and give you a more enjoyable stay. Thanks to Mac, Graham and Phil the Bus for all of their contributions.
My friend and I chose Radisson Blu because of its location (away from the (at times) maddening crowd found in Valletta/Sliema/St. Julians. We were not here on a time share but just booked our flight out of Munich (I work in German) and the one week stay including breakfast and the cost for the flight and hotel was under $1,500 (about 1100 Euro).
In order to save a little money my friend paid the higher cost for the ocean/pool view room (balcony with table and two chairs) and I saved $$$ by getting what they call the 'Garden View' (more hills and a small amphitheater), again, balcony with table and two chairs. That way we had an ocean view after a day of seeing the phenomenal sites of Malta/Gozo/Comino.
I found the room to be very nice, the bed (for me) was like my bed at home. My friend thought the bed was too firm (for him) and after voicing his concern with the hotel front desk they ended up bringing up a second mattress to put on the bed and he was happy as a clam. The pillows are HUGE so unless you want a stiff neck request smaller pillows. The huge ones are great for sitting up in bed and reading but not (for me) for sleeping. I always travel with my own pillow so I was ok.
The bathrooms are HUGE with double sinks, hair dryer and the necessary amenities (shampoo, lotion, body wash) and a tub/shower combo with the half glass door that is typical in Europe.
There is a ceiling fan with different speeds. There is one easy chair and modern TV with USB/HDMI ports if you bring your computer to play your own movies or view your videos from your day out in the sun. They have the three prong sockets (two round one flat) found in GB. If you forget to bring an adapter they are available at the front desk. The sockets by the bed (I have a CPAP) are three round prongs (I always travel with an extension cord) so I was able to sleep well.
I had no problem with noise from the adjacent rooms. There is a fridge in the room stocked with drinks but be forewarned that if you remove them from the fridge (just to look at them) you will be billed if you keep them out of the range of the internal sensor for more than 10 minutes AND they do not want you putting your own food stuffs in their fridge. Not a biggie for this traveler.
The inclusive breakfast (part of our package) would cost you 16 Euros if paying out of pocket. The restaurant (same place they have their pricey but delicious evening buffet) is called Flavours. Their is a large bar (Swizzlers) and a decent Italian restaurant called Agliolio (have the front desk make a reservation for you). Pizza's at Agliolio are very reasonable (9-12 Euros) and enough for two people so someone on a tight budget can eat on site with a cold beer (try the Cisk) for under 14 Euros). Their entrees are good as well and you can have steaks/pasta as well as starters. Their Gelato is great (12 choices). It was early May so they had not opened up the outdoor seating. You can have your wine out there with a nice view of the ocean.
The fitness center is a decent size with treadmills, bikes and a TV for those who want to work out. The Spa offers massages (85 Euros for a 90 minute) and their is a free indoor pool, jacuzzi (not hot) with steam room and dry sauna. The pool water outside was brisk but once you 'took the plunge' it was VERY refreshing. There is an outside shower near the pools (3) as well as indoor mens/womens lockers (give the spa personnel your room key and you get a key to the locker inside. All in all a nice spa/fitness center.
The bus (we were shuttled in from the airport, a twenty minute ride) service seemed to be slow but it was a short 5 minute walk to the bus stop outside the hotel. Look at the schedules for the pick up times but please not these times are approximate. One side note, if you go into Valletta for the morning tour (shuttled in) the return has three times you can choose from, the last being a 5:30 PM pick up. The traffic is horrible at that time of day (and promises to only get worse as the summer season moves in) and the 12 mile ride back to the hotel took an hour at that time of day. It would only be worse by bus (2.60 Euro for a day pass or 12 Euro for a week pass) and at least the shuttle has air conditioning. The travel service personnel at the hotel (Corrie and Sylvia) were very helpful and knowledgeable. I highlyrecommend the 45 Euro cruise around Malta with a 2.5 hour stop at the Blue Lagoon on Comino. Pick up was at the hotel at 9:10 AM (a few stops on the way to the docl in Sliema to pick up additional passengers) and we boarded the ship (seats about 150 people on top (most covered) and below deck (glass windows) seats about the same and this is where they serve lunch as you cirgle the island going south to Marsaxlokk and around to the Dingli Cliffs (it was 'brisk' as you approached Marsaxlokk so bring a jacket or go inside). You can bring drinks from below up to the top but they do not have a server take orders up top. The lunch was cafeteria style (pasta/lunch meat/bread/potatoes and wine (all included in the 45 Euro price). The views are specacular and they give a commentary in English/Maltese/German describing what you are seeing. The Blue Lagoon was a beautiful view but the two small beaches were packed. You can have a water taxi take you across (100 yards) to a small beach. There are people there renting beach chairs and their are concession stands. The boat drops anchor and you have 2.5 hours to sunbathe or take a 10 Euro small boat ride to look at the caves. Be aware that there are jelly fish there that sting. After that you head back to Sliema and that take another hour plus. We were back at the hotel around 6 PM. I loved this trip as it seems to be a perpetual winter here in Germany (as the cartoon reads, "What a lovely winter we are having this Spring"!). Take the trip, see the sites (I will write more later on Things to Do). Thanks again for all who contributed. As they say in Malta: saħħa (Cheers)!

Room Tip: As some have stated the ocean view rooms (we wer eon the 5th floor) are remarkable. We were in the t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank rgowett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Hilton Malta
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's

Been to Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands? Share your experiences!