“Great location, beautiful hotel”

Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My friend and I spent six days at this hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The suites are gorgeous, modern and large. The entire hotel is very clean. All indoor and outdoor spaces were immaculate. The restaurants were very good. We especially enjoyed the Agliolio. Their pizza's are amazing. The beach was great as was the large lagoon pool. We never had to wait for a chair in either place and wait staff were always available for a drink or snack. All in all if you are looking for some real rest and relaxation this is the place. The excursion options are also good. We went on the tour to Sicily and although the day was very long was worth it. I would recommend the Radisson Blu Resort, Golden Sands to anyone visiting Malta. I can't wait to go back there some day.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank BellaGood
Write a ReviewReviews (4,453)

Reviewed June 7, 2011

When we arrived late in the evening, We were relieved to have found a cab imediately to take us to the airport expectantely, we turned the corner and the view of the Hotel from the road was one of huge relief the hotel looked exactly like the pictures in Tripadvisor. It looked so impressive.

The Staff on arrival were really welcoming and that added to the way we felt about, the rest of our Holiday. The room was Beautiful clean and tidy, The decour is impressive !My two children kept saying its so lovely. The following days were just a delight.
This hotel was ideal for relaxing, lounging in the pool or visiting the beach which is situated right on the grounds of the hotel. I had two teenagers who wanted to have some time off for themselves so they could actually walk off to the beach, whilst staying in our view at all times.

They enjoyed the times they had at the different pools and the different eating places within the hotel grounds. A great place for a Sun tan.

The location is just a few mimles away from the next town and there is a bus service which is so easy to use if you want to take trips everyday. Altough you can go on tours and trips which are arranged for you by easy access in the Hotel Reception area.
You do need to be prepared to pay for your entertainment by way of trips and Tours but if you go with that in mind you will find your stay to be charming and comfortable the staff are really lovely human beings and they were friendly and willing to accomodate whenever possible. Few times arriving for dinner there were queues of guests which got handled as quickly as possibe nothing really alarming about the whole deal.

On this holiday you do have the Talk about buying a holiday apartment and i believe it to be a very interesting investment. Not at all unreasonable and full of possibilities. All in all the only way to decide is to look into the apartments that are on offer and see for yourself. I liked this part of the holiday the least but was rateher suprised by the offers.

A very lovely Family Holiday which ticked all of our boxes. The teenagers wanted another disco night - however the adults did't miss anything.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms facing the town they are quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank excitejay
Reviewed June 6, 2011

The hotel is excellent as are its range of facilities. The position and outlook of the hotel is quite superb with views across the hills and the beach, part of which is privately owned by the hotel. There are three outside pools and another (heated) in the members area indoors. Our studio room was perfect for two people and when I reported a problem with an electrical socket, it was replaced the same day. The food in the Flavours restaurant was very good indeed although we only had breakfast in the hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly and always available. The member of staff with whom we had most contact was John Flicker who gave us a guided tour and supplied us with much useful information.

Altogether a most enjoyable holiday. We would recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Colorado021
Reviewed June 5, 2011

The hotel is situated in the northwest area of the main island, about 25 minutes by car from the airport. If you haven’t any rental car but want to go to restaurants, to shops or to just see something else outside the hotel area, this hotel is nothing for you. There is a local bus there, but wait for buses when you are on holiday…. No, I think no… But do you have a car, the hotel offer’s free guest parking but can’t guarantee that you will find a parking place.

The hotel has three big buildings and to find the way from one place to another, the guest needs some patience. Because, after four nights here, it’s still difficult to know where you are. It also seems that the hotel’s budget doesn’t include purchase of signs to help the guest find the way. This was very frustrating. And I remember also the face of a waiter when I asked for the way to the reception. His face told me a lot: I think he had to explain the way several times every day! Over all, the hotel’s staff was friendly, but some of them a little bit lazy.

Radisson Blu always offers free Internet. So even here. But when it didn’t worked properly, I asked for help at the reception. Then began the show. The staff there didn’t know anything about computers or Internet. However, after four visits to the reception (and it was far away from my room), they sent two men to check what was wrong. Finally they found out why I had problem: They hadn’t turned on the Internet to my room!!

What I never understood was the music. Everywhere in the hotel, at the pool area, in the restaurants, in the lifts, at the reception and of course, also outside my room... Yes, it was music everywhere! And outside my room: the volume was so high so I had to hear the terrible noise when I was in the bed to relax in the afternoon. Several times I had to ask them to turn down the volume. So they did. After three hours they had turned it up again. The hotel’s choice of music was by my point of view, terrible. With one trumpet screaming two minutes, then a singer screaming something else four minutes. Then drums and saxophones in another piece of “music”. Really terrible!

What is the conclusion? The music everywhere in the hotel destroyed a lot, so the value you get for your money here is poor. It was difficult to find the correct way from the pool area to the room etc. If you don’t have any car, you will be very isolated here and also depending of what the hotel offers with their relatively high prices. But if you have a car, want to be at a calm place to relax, it can be something for you. But please, don’t forget your earplugs so you wouldn’t get any mentally illness during your stay here due to the music torture.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Someishere
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Hotel is constantly striving to improve it's facilities for all ages thus the new games room area currently being set up. Access to other attractions in Malta made easy with Drifter at very reasonable prices and also hotel taxis provide excellent service if you wish more time visiting the Island.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank scotbird
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I returned from this hotel yesterday. This hotel is gorgeous. It has everything that you wish to find for a comfortable holiday. The hotel has many facilities and lots of nice restaurants. We even had a 20% discount card as part of the timeshare deal. This made the food exceptional value. The only downside to the hotel is it's a bit out of the way if you like getting into town etc. Great bus service but car is advised.
Now to the timeshare. Our seller was very polite and friendly. The selling was quite hard and pressurised and did last about 4.5 hours. Although having heard stories of threats when not wanting to buy were unfounded, and when we did not buy it was not a major issue.
The room we had was a very nice standard room with double bed, sofa bed, small kitchen and bathroom. My problem was that to buy a week a year in this room for the next 34 years would cost in the region of £14k this would value the room at around three quarters of a million pounds. With a maintaince cost for the room of £17k a year based on each owner paying £340 per year. For me these sums don't add up. I have a nice 5 bedroom house that is worth less than this room if you believe their maths

• Stayed: May 2011
7  Thank tonywaldren
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We returned to Malta last week to try the Radisson Blu Golden Bay as we had recently stayed at the Radisson Blu St Julians. Well it was great service, great food, drink & a luxurious hotel. They have a new General Manager, Ernest Barry, and he oftens appears around the hotel to make sure the great service is maintained and the guests are well looked after. We were looked after by Ruth on the reception and Daniel in the pizzeria. But all the staff gave us excellent service. This hotel is only a few years old but you would think it had only just been built as it is well maintained. They have a beatiful beach and terrific views. If the finances hold out we will be back there later in the year!!
If you want a luxurious hotel with everything you need then look no further.
Pat, Mick & Jason

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank MickyEssex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Hilton Malta
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands? Share your experiences!