Stayed here for a forthnight recently. Hotel is on the face of it very good. However, once the excitement of arrival and getting booked in has worn off, the cracks begin to show. Staff are lovely and couldn't be more helpful. We had a few issues which, whilst they didn't spoil our holiday, did mar our stay at the Antonin somewhat.
1. Shower: Worked fine until the water from it seeped beween the ungrouted tiles and flooded the bathroom floor every time.
2. Plugs on bath and sink were useless.
3. Subdued lighting in the bathroom - no good for make up (me) or shaving (him)
4. Lifts were unreliable. Had to use the stairs from the breakfast room to reception on more than one occasion (6 flights) and once the stairwell was in total darkness, not even emergency lighting. This was reported to reception. The maids tended to jam the doors by leaving the trolleys there.
5. Maid service, in our room anyway, left a lot to be desired. Some days the room was hardly touched and by the end of our stay the floor was rather like a sand pit. Some days we had full complement of towels, others not. Some days we had bath mat, some days not. One small piece of soap was supplied for the fortnight - luckily I'd taken more with me. Some days the cups and glasses were replaced with clean, others not. Tea and coffee supplies were generous to a fault and we actually ended up with a mountain of everything for some reason. Seems the maid didn't look to see what remained from previous days and just crammed more in there. Pity it wasn't terrible palatable.
6. Beach bus service: once a day down to the beach and once back. Not much of a service considering the bus left mid-breakfast. We didn't manage to get on it at all during our stay. However, the local buses are regular, if overcrowded, so we tended to use them a lot.
7. Bathroom door! Would have been nice to have one!!!! Bit of a shock to find tinted smoked glass door and screen on the bathroom facing the bed. Now I'm no prude but there are times when privacy is desirable. If one used the bathroom with the dim lighting on inside, nothing was left to the imagination of the person outside the smallest room. Best idea for any privacy was to leave the lights off. Unfortunately the sliding element of the door was swinging on the top runner and closed to within about 2-3 inches of the wall so any additional bathroom special effects were, shall we say, audible/tangible. We discovered best plan was for person not 'involved' to go outside or into reception to read for a while.........perhaps too much information!
All in all, I would give our stay at the Antonine 7 out of 10 on my scale of accommodation. Better than the other hotels I've stayed in in Malta, 3* not 4* though. Food was better than usual, except for the flies on the fruit on last couple of days at breakfast. Mellieha is lovely, very noisy and bustling busy main street which is a wonder to behold with buses battling for supremacy. The beach area is great and very safe. Bit of a hike down the hill but kept us fit. Don't be put off by Mellieha being a little out of the way, the bus service is excellent but get there early or you won't get on for everyone barging in in front of you. Learnt that if you can't beat em, join em.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Maritim Antonine Hotel and Spa, a supreme 4 star hotel, perched on a perfect spot overlooking the terraced hillsides, from which one can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views and unwind for a few days in luxury.Here at the Maritim we provide the best services for the best price in Malta. That’s our guarantee.The Maritim is nestled in the small picturesque town of Mellieha and is a sumptuous retreat for the business traveller, or a luxurious indulgence if you want to spoil yourself or a loved one. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Antonine Hotel And Spa
- Maritim Antonine Hotel Mellieha
- Maritim Antonine Resort
- Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa Malta/Mellieha