“Irish awesome barman 10 on 10”

Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Malta
“Irish awesome barman 10 on 10”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The price is good and excellent service especially at the bar with Don. Breakfast os good. The spa is cool. Steam room is always too much but all in all i ll say its good value for money for sure its such fum coming fpr a drink and friendly laugh with don and he really maxe us feel At home

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Thomas M
MaritimMalta, Sales Manager at Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your jolly comment puts a smile on our faces☺.

Thanks from the
Maritim team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Rookhope
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in January 2013, it was our second visit. The hotel is most definitely not four star. On its best days it is three star and regrettably can be less than that. Rooms are sligtly grubby and uncared for. Fittings are missing or do not work, and our particular room had a large crack across the glazed balcony door.

Whilst the staff are generally friendly (special mention to Don in the bar) the hotel public areas are cold and they reflect a hotel ethos which is not customer focussed. During our stay the main restaurant was closed for dinner. This meant (as we had bought a half board package) being shoe-horned into the public pizzeria with a restricted menu for the majority of our stay. If you're a vegetarian this means eating pretty much the same thing every night.

Wifi can be purchased at a reasonable price and is good, even in the room. There are restricted time deals free of cost available but in reception only.

A particular point that needs to be underlined is that at weekends only the hotel encourages occupancy with special offers. At such times it seems completely full. Not necessarily a problem, but it can mean the hotel is noisy.

Room Tip: Do not be persuaded to the internal rooms even though they are cheap - unless it's a very short...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gelim
england ex ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Can't fault my stay here. I paid 26 Euros a night for a delux room (there was also cheaper rooms available) and it was a bargain. That included breakfast and use of the pool, sauna and steam room. There were a few reviews criticising breakfast. Yes, the juice was not fresh but come on, it is rare to get fresh juice at breakfast anywhere. I was delighted with the choice and quality. The sauna and steam room were situated in the hotel's spa so there was relaxing music piped in and the decor was what you would expect an upmarket spa centre to be like.

I don't know what it would be like in high season but for in February it was perfect. I sat outside by the outdoor pool one day and had the sauna and steam room to myself. I then went for a swim in the indoor pool and again had it to myself. There was also a whirlpool bath beside the swimming pool.

The room was very big with a sofa and armchair and balcony. The main problem with the room was the kettle gave a bad taste to the water. I got my kettle changed and the taste was still there. I would imagine the tap water in Malta (which I understand to be desalinated) ruins any kettle so even when I when I used bottled water the taste was still there. There was also a strange smell in the corridor but this was not an issue as I was not sleeping in the corridor!

The town itself was quiet but that is what I expected in February. If I wanted a lively destination I would have stayed somewhere else. There were plenty of shops and restaurants within 100m of the hotel. I would have no hesitation about giving it 5 stars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jfogarty
highlands
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Thank you so ,much for our memorable 35th wedding anniversary week. We loved the hotel, service and facilities. We had a complimentary bottle of wine, bowl of fruit and a fantastic meal for our anniversary. Also a sea view room. Staff were fantastic. An excellently managed hotel, we hope to return later this year and would not hesitate I recommending this hotel and location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cathsm
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I love this hotel. I visit with my students every March and I visit with friends in February. I will be back in 4 weeks and love Don and his cocktails. Don makes us feel welcome and always impresses us with his knowledge of the drinks he serves. He always has time for a quick chat with his customers x

• Stayed February 2013
Wakefield
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed at the Maritime at the beginning of Feburary for a week. I thought the reviews were mixed and as we had booked a last minute deal in the comfort rooms I thought we might be disappointed. However I can report we had a lovely time The room was an intenal room so I was expecting no windows at all but we had double patio doors and a small terrace with table and chairs. Granted the doors only opened on to an internal courtyard and the light was minimal but there were lots of green plants and it was pleasant. If you want a sea view and to sit sunbathing on the balcony this is not the type of room to book. However if you want to explore the island and use the room as a base it was great. We never actually used the terrace as when we returned at the end of each day by 6.00 pm it was dark. The room was warm, clean and well decorated with modern furniture and the ensuite was very contemporary.The beds were comfortable and we had full use of all the hotels amenities including the pool, suana, Jaccuzi and steam room which was great at the end of a day sightseeing. The breakfast was lovely and with so much choice I only made my way through all the options by the end of the week. There was a kettle in the room with tea and coffee and a small fridge which we used to keep some fresh milk so we could have a drink when we got back from our days out. Other reviewers mentioned the damp smell in rooms, corridors and the tunnel, particularly if you were on the other side of the road to the main hotel. We were on the other side and there was a slight smell particularly under the tunnel and in the corridors but it really did not worry us too much. It is a shame the management could not make these areas smell as nice as the spa which is also in the basement. Staff were very friendly and helpful and clean towels were provided each day for the spa. Overall however we felt we had a great time. It was fantastic value for money and we would highly recommend the hotel. Just be clear what you want and what you will get when you pay for a comfort room.

Room Tip: Difficult to say as we were in the cheapest rooms on the lower ground floor on the opposite side of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have just returned from another fabulous stay at the Maritim in Mellieha, what makes this hotel so great are the friendly staff, many of whom are long term employees who are always happy to welcome us back each year for the last 10 years. There is a great choice of food and no chips or burgers in sight which is fab. Special thanks to Miriam and Victoria in Le Jardins restaurant and Don the barman (who never stands still!) he looks after all his customers so well and shakes a great cocktail!!. We shall definitely be booking again for February 2014.....Many Thanks John & Leisa

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MaritimMalta, Sales Manager at Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear John & Leisa,

Many thanks for a fabulous review and thanks for staying with us year after year☺. See you next February

The Maritim Team