“Very friendly staff. Excellent food choice”

db Seabank Resort + Spa
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
birmingham
“Very friendly staff. Excellent food choice”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I had a very relaxing time at this excellent hotel. The staff really go out of their way to make you feel special. Lovely room with free transfers. Good location on beachfront.
Mix of guests not just pensioners but families also. Will return with my husband

Room Tip: Both seaview and landview rooms good
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank suejack100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,845)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Definitely do not recommend this hotel to relax on vacation. Everything that happened to us there was passing up to the promises that guaranteed us a hotel . The room was overlooking some poor little restaurant inside the building , in addition stank of mold throughout your stay , and despite the fact that the application for the reception, none of this did not do anything , and we all pretend that the problem does not exist. After the " relaxing " by the pool got some rashes all over the body , which indicates the purity of the place.
The food was not the worst , everyone will find something for themselves , and waiter service leaves a lot to be desired ! Continuous noise and chaos that prevail in the main restaurant is not conducive to relaxation , or a relaxed atmosphere . Dirty tablecloths and waiters sound by throwing plates and cutlery is unbearable. Managers of absolutely nothing it does not do, despite many complaints , not only from our side . Clearly you can see that they can not control the situation , stand and gossip . Each of the managers behaved like a hotel owner, forgetting their duties.
The rooms , at first glance , everything looked wonderful . The next day , after a visit to the cleaning ladies hotel towels were dirty with stains. Anyone not recommend this place and will never go back.

9 Thank agnes801
hubertdebono, General Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear agnes801,

We are naturally shocked and saddened to read this review especially after all the effort the whole team puts in to ensure every guest of the hotel is fully satisfied.

Whilst I apologise for the negative impression we have left on your experience at the Seabank, we would definitely require more information to be able to investigate these claims and assess their severity.

If you would be so kind to send me an email with your personal details, I will be more than happy to get in touch.

hdebono@seabankhotel.com
Cambridge
Reviewed December 9, 2013

What a lovely, fresh and modern hotel this is. The decor is in the style of a ship with large porthole mirrors and blue and white decor, very pretty and clean. Each room has a mini fridge, flat screen tv, new bathroom suites with shower over bath. Shower gel/shampoo is in a dispenser over the sink. Iron and ironing board and also very good hairdryer. Breakfast was extremely good with a lot of choice. Cereals, cheeses, hams, yoghurts etc. Hot meals were eggs, bacon and sausages with beans and tomatoes. Bread is too delicious for anyone watching their weight! Right on the sea front, if you are lucky you get sea views, some rooms are side sea view and the 'worst' type are views of the village but there are no bad views.
Great childrens pool/play area right next to the kids club, lots of different sports courts and also a quiet pool away from the children. Thoroughly recommend this hotel for families, lots to do.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are lovely but be prepared for a little bit of traffic noise or if the weather is bad...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank UKCarole
Dear UKCarole,

thank you so much for taking some time to write a review about our resort.

We are very glad that you have enjoyed the facilities and food we have on offer and thank you for recommending Seabank to fellow travellers.

We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back.

Shrewsbury
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Well, where do I start. Before I write a review or voice an opinion I like to have a read of the recent reviews to see what my fellow travellers are saying. Having done that a short while ago and finding myself nearing the end of my holiday in Malta I feel compelled to write down a few of my thoughts about the Seabank.
I have been here with my wife for a little under two weeks. We have stayed here before but usually at the height of the season when the weather is hot and everywhere is very busy. We thought we would finish off what has been a very busy year by spending a couple of weeks in Malta at a time when things are far more relaxed than usual.
Before we came we spent some time at the travel agents and on the computer doing some research into what we could expect from the weather and what facilities would be open for tourists at this time of year. We have stayed in several other hotels in Malta over the years, the Seabank among them. The only hotel we have found to provide consistently good service was the Seabank.
We have never been able to fault the food or dining facilities here. The only complaint I have on that score is that I have to go for a run every morning because if I didn't I would return home several sizes larger than I arrived such is the amazing choice and quality of the food served here.
I am always perplexed when I read reviews which mention flies and other insects causing problems. I can't stand being mobbed by flies when I am eating and hand on heart I can say I never have been at the Seabank. Yes, there are flies around from time to time but some reviews I have read make it sound like the numbers of insects are in biblical proportions which I have to say has never been the case in my experience.
During our stay the weather has been quite changeable. When out for the aforementioned run in the morning I was always pleasantly surprised by the beautiful sunrise which made the trip up to the Red Tower and beyond a real pleasure. There have been some horrendous downpours over the last few days and while there were a couple of minor issues with leaks by the windows there were never any prolonged problems. Incidentally the weather today is warm and sunny, I managed to get some snorkelling in and the visibility was crystal clear. I really don't want to go home!
The Gym is equipped with enough equipment to make me work up a sweat while my wife chickened out and took advantage of the great Spa treatments available.
The shop downstairs is handy for gift shopping and has a good selection of sweeties ( more calories to burn off!)
The weekends did get busy with locals taking advantage of the great deals available and who can blame them? More people generally means an increase in noise level but it's a big family orientated hotel. Children are noisy little things by nature and if you don't like to see youngsters having a good time there are other hotels to choose.
I think it's great that people from all walks of life find the Seabank a great place to stay. A few days ago I was talking to a Banker from London who was staying here with his family. He said he particularly liked being able to retire to his quiet and comfortable room to do some work while his wife enjoyed the indoor pool with his kids running riot in the jungle play area. This morning I was down in the huge underground garage swapping motorcycle stories with a couple of huge Harley Davidson riding Italians.
The staff here are second to none in their delivery of service and any issues raised at reception such as blown light bulbs or extras needed such as an ironing board are dealt with immediately and without fuss.
Would I recommend the Seabank to my friends and family? Well, when my daughter was looking for a wedding venue I didn't hesitate and we have been bowled over by the help we have received from the management here in making the arrangements for what will undoubtedly be a phenomenal wedding celebration next year.
I am not one to wax lyrical but I will be returning to the UK rested, relaxed and looking forward to my next visit to the Seabank which, if I have anything to do with it will be in the very near future.

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable and clean. Less road noise in Pool view rooms but double glazing is go...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mark L
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We have just returned from a four week stay at the Seabank and quite honestly we wish we had never seen the place. We originally were going to book another hotel but were persuaded by the rave reviews this hotel gets on tripadvisor. Well, let me tell you, you don't want to believe everything you read.

I'll begin with the positives. On the whole the hotel was clean enough, although the carpets in every hallway were badly stained. The hotel had plenty of facilities, which is why, I would assume, it has achieved a four star rating. The staff are all very well presented and helpful and pleasant. However, after these few attributes the positives are very thin on the ground.

The negatives I'm afraid are numerous. Firstly in our room the toilet roll holder fell off three times and was only fixed when longer screws were used at the third time of repair. We also had a night visitor in the shape of a two to three inch, red, cockroach which paid us a call at midnight and scared my wife to death. True, the staff moved us (upgraded) to another room the next day although they said it had probably come in from outside even though we were on the sixth floor and that such insects are common in Med' - not in my room they're not. Before I leave the room comments I should add that on several occasions our room/rooms were not made up until gone 15:00hrs - one of the cleaners told me she had rooms on three floors to attend to and proved it by showing me her itinery for that day (19 rooms in all).

Moving on, the food was, at times, bordering on the inedable. It was often of a concoction I have never come across and never want to again; stir fry kangeroo, baked salmon in a banana and mango topping and bannoffe cake with prunes, were just some of the many highlights. Add to this the fact that, on many occasions, the food was barely warm and some of it under cooked. The best meal of the day, as one person has commented on, was breakfast. However, if you were not early to rise you would have had to queue for your toast as they, it seems, have only one toaster in the whole hotel - they did have two but one was never seen again after the first week of our stay. The bacon they have is shrink wrapped and when they cook it they do not seperate the rashers from each other which means that the pieces that have been stuck together are not fully cooked where they have been pressed next to each other in the packaging and the eggs are either too raw ( sunny side up - which means UV starvation) or incinerated ( basking on the griddle too long). Of course we complained but the chef, who did ring us to be fair, merely said we were the only ones complaining and that he was sure the food had been properly cooked - which it probably was in Mongolia. He did say he would look into it but of course nothing, as far as we could tell, was ever done to rectify any of the problems.

Next I must mention the dreaded flies, these pesky creatures are everywhere and on one occasion, at lunch in their Laguna Restaurant we were constantly bombarded by at least a dozen or more and this remember was in November so what it's like in summer God only knows. Once again we did tell them about the fly menace and once again the good old chef rang us to say that he was sure that he had adequate deterrents in place to keep the problem at bay - I don't think the man wanted to hear the phrase, "Well it isn't working."

Lastly, we had an early morning flight home and were told that it would be no bother has we could have an early morning breakfast in the Oriental Restaurant, which we attempted to do. We arrived at our last meal before departure at 06:15hrs only to find half a dozen Germans trying to concoct something to eat amongst the left overs of last nights dinner. One woman suggested that we could play football with the bread and rolls as they were that hard - which they were. The reception staff did bring two, new, sliced loaves and said that was all they could do as they didn't provide anything else for early breakfast except salad, bread, cereal and cake - the latter left over from the day before. Now I wasn't expecting a cooked breakfast but TOAST, was that too much to ask for? To cap it all the flies were out in force again even at this hour.

One last point to make is that at weekends this out of season hotel throngs with different groups all on cut price deals. One week end we had three hundred university students rampaging down the corridors, another weekend families with multitudes of children and then a medical conference. The knock-on effect is that there just isn't enough places to sit in the lobby and the noise level increases dramatically.

And then it rained and rained and rained and the hotel began to leak like the hull of the striken Titanic. Towels to the fore the staff did wonders in trying to keep out the cascading water.

Consequently, after four weeks in hell I echo the lyrics that Alan Sherman once sang, "Hello mother, hello father here I am at Camp Granada ........"

Believe me I have travelled extensively in my 63 years as a musician and I tell you truthfully the Seabank hotel is nothing like a four star and those that think it is should visit a few more places so that they can better judge what really is.

8 Thank LeonardA957
hubertdebono, General Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear LeonardA957,

We would like to firstly thank you for having chosen Seabank for your four week stay in Malta and for posting a review.

Obviously we are saddened to read that your expectations have not been met on many fronts which led you to try and write off all the positive comments from other clients who genuinely had a great stay with us.

We certainly appreciate your opinion and have discussed the points raised in detail with our team to analyse if and where there is any room for improvement.

We are very sorry that despite the rigorous pest control program we have in place, you had to endure a pest sighting in your room. I am glad to note that our staff have taken immediate action and moved you to an upgraded room. In November, before the rains, flies are an unfortunate reality that we dislike as much as you do. Whatever can be done to control them, I can assure you that it is being done already and situation has drastically improved from previous years. Expert help is however once again being sought to see if there are any extra precautions that can also be taken in the future.

Regarding the food, I am sorry to read that you did not find the exotic dishes served on the special weekly International Night appealing to your tastes. I can confirm that following the comments you made in-house, the Executive chef was truly concerned and discussed them with all the team. As you are aware, he has even personally offered you to contact him at every meal as he would have happily prepared your favourite dishes a' la carte. Unfortunately, despite his continuous efforts, he was not given an opportunity to help out. Whilst we appreciate that there is always room for more improvement, our customer feedback shows us that most guests highly praise our culinary offering. We will surely never stop challenging ourselves to be better and better for the benefit of all our clients.

I am happy to report that practically all the water and carpet issues have been sorted and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you and any other guests.

It is true that the resort gets very busy in the weekends during the winter months. This is definitely not due to special deals and cut prices but because of the ever increasing popularity of our resort which extends to the local and groups markets.

We also wish to point out that Seabank Resort has just been awarded by the trip advisor travellers community as one of the best all inclusive resorts in Europe. This in itself is a very important seal of approval from our esteemed clients for our continuous efforts to offer the best possible quality product and service.

Whilst thanking you once again for your comments, we do hope that you will visit Malta again in the future and if there is anything I can do to help out, feel free to contact me personally.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

room was spacious and very good the food options seemed vary good but we were just out of season so not the full range available
the buffet was ok but you had to book for the other restaurants
sadly no local malta dishes available
the Italian restaurant took half hour for main to be served cold and tasteless
the Asian was again cold meat probably as just opened so from fridge not fresh it seemed
the Brazilian restaurant was fantastic went there twice in our 7 days both times excellent
all staff were brilliant
we were booked for a lake view there is no lake its land pool or mountains we had a concrete roof and some of the indoor pool view
if using local transport which I recommend plz remember your bus stop is skadja as there many stops in lol don't book trips diy is excellent

Room Tip: the hop on and off day trip is 15 euro approx. the local bus is 12 euro for the week no brainer lol
1 Thank superbookie
Dear superbookie,

Thank you for sharing some comments about your recent visit to the Seabank. We are glad that overall you had a positive experience.

I do apologise if the food was cold in 2 of our outlets. Rest assured that all food is freshly prepared in our show cooking stations. Over the past days we have taken different actions to prevent this from reoccurring during the colder winter months. Thank you for commending the Brazilian Rodizio.

Sadly we have no lakes in Malta and the lagoon pool is as close to one as it gets :-)

We do hope to have an other opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here apart from weather, 4days out of 7wet n windy. The hotel rooms were bright and clean, maid service was every morning. Themed restaurants were nice but found service poor in Brazilian. Food was good with plenty of choice at the other ones, would really benefit from a restaurant you could dress up to go to as none use table cloths ect a bit canteen style that said the food was good. Spa area and indoor pool was handy as weather so bad but gym not well equipped. Hotel is clean staff friendly food and drinks good for a/I . Would not say it was a 4star but nice place none the less.
Word of warning, hotel opens to locals for weekend stays we found main restaurant very busy and lots of young children . Good access to beach and bus stops opposite hotel if you want to explore the island. We enjoyed our stay here .

1 Thank sheila a
Dear sheila a,

We are pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay and thank you for commending our friendly staff. Glad you enjoyed the food on offer from the different outlets and that you found the hotel to be clean.

Our main restaurant is fully dressed up with table cloths for dinner and gym equipment situation is currently being assessed. It would be great if you could send me some more comments about the Brazilian Rodizio service you have experienced so we can look into it in more detail.

Once again thank you for your positive review and do hope that you will consider visiting us again if you choose Malta once more for your next holiday..

Hubert Debono
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Pergola Hotel & Spa
#5 of 12 in Mellieha
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,545 reviews
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to db Seabank Resort + Spa? Share your experiences!