“Probably the best hotel in Malta”

db Seabank Resort + Spa
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My grandparents move to Balzan in Malta in 1972, and over the next 14 years came to the island 2 or 3 times each year. Since their return in 1987 I have visited the island on 9 occasions, including our honeymoon, and must say that this is the best hotel that we have stayed in so far. As my wife and I are so familiar with the island, we now tend just to take in the sun, with the occasional trip to Valletta and a couple of other places that we like.
On arrival at about 2230hrs, we were swiftly checked in, bags up to the room then back down to the restaurant where a buffet had been laid on for the late check-ins, most welcome it was.
For the duration we had breakfast, lunch and dinner on the patio area, which was kept very clean. The food was varied and catered for the many nationalities that were staying there, so one had the chance to experiment a little, but if you did not, then the "English" style of food was very good, so my wife said.
We had the Deluxe twin room with sea view and it was double the size of most standard rooms. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. The bathroom was to a high standard with top-end "designer"? fixtures and fittings. The housemaid was very friendly and even more after we tipped her on the second day. She could not do enough for us. There was the standard issue tea/coffee making equipment, fridge and digital safe.
If one wanted to go to the beach it was just 10 paces on the other side of the road, although we either stayed at the hotel, or went to a small beach we know just about 2Km away. There were 2 pools, with one just for adults (over 18s) and bars at each one. If you felt like being a little bit active, then there were a number of activities available during the day, including water polo, water aerobics, darts etc. A spa and beauty salon was also available as was a hairdressing salon.
Within the village of Mellieha one can hire jetski's go paragliding and a whole host of other water activities, and the ferry to Gozo is only about 5Km up the road. Popeye's village, an easy? walk about 2Km from the hotel is a must see, and it's where the film was made. Since the children have grown up I tend to hire a motor bike (not a scooter) to get around, and did so for this visit. No problems parking, just do what the Maltese do and park on the grass/pavement/anywhere there is a space.
The evening entertainment was probably the best I have ever seen at any hotel abroad with different themes each night and the staff were extremely good. Well done here. Much better than the odd person on a keyboard or guitar which a lot of hotels put on.
Would I come back? Most definitely.
Probably the only gripe that I have is that whilst it is an all inclusive hotel, they did not provide the local drinks as part of the service. I always drink Hopleaf beer and the wife has Cisk lager when we visit Malta, unfortunately we were only able to drink this when not at the hotel. They should support the local food and drink.

Room Tip: We chose the Deluxe room with sea view balcony, and what a view it was over Mellieha Bay. We were on...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Norman D
There are newer reviews for db Seabank Resort + Spa

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We spent a week at the Seabank and we had a lovely time. The hotel staff were very friendly and always helpful. On our first night we needed a first aider. Unfortunately I didn't catch their names but they were so helpful, they called out the doctor for us who also was lovely. Whenever we saw them around the hotel they always made time to ask how we was.

The food in the Chinese, Italian and Brazilian restaurant was delicious and definitely worth booking,

Rooms were very clean, and made up every day if you wanted them. We had a pool view room and it was worth the bit extra!

The one negative we had was the Malta sightseeing tours in reception. We booked a fishing trip from them and it was awful. When we contacted the manager of Malta sightseeing she didn't even bother replying to emails just sent all messages through the rep in the hotel. Not acceptable when you have a complaint. Do not go on the fishing trips that's my only advice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amy V
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Having stayed at the hotel previously before all the changes, I booked thru Accessible Malta to stay at several hotels over a 2 week period so I could report back to a club locally as we are looking at spending 10-14 days in Malta next year. On arrival I saw many other disabled users there, apparently an International disabled group were having a meeting locally and using hotel and its facilities.

The hotel is nice and spacious and in the car park even has some dedicated disabled bays, the reception is busier than i remembered and has some small counters prom oting tours, car hire and jewellary/accessory sales, lso seating areas with naturally screening, it was clean and tidy however for me did seem it had lost some of its friendly appeal as previously it was a more homely in design. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

Disabled room was possibably one of the best I have stayed in and if you are disabled with a non disabled partner or a carer with you this hotel benefitted from 2 bathrooms one adapted one traditional. Both were spacious and well designed, I feel they have tried hard to meet most needs, only one niggle was that the wardrobe had doors opening out and rail was at normal height.

The hotel had extra pillows in room and had no problems finding more when asked - and all were plump not waffer thin like sometimes found these days with modern filings.

The food in the main restaurant offered a good choice catering for various markets, breakfast offered everything I have been offered in many 5 * restaurants - may be some people who haven't visited Malta before feel the bacon being streaky type rather than back bacon isn't right , or the sausauges being a small chipalota size (24 to the 454g) rather than our UK 8 to the 454g standard sausage, but this is common for Malta including 5 * properties, the orange juice was a more diluted pure juice from a machine compared with a Tropicana or Del Monte style but is more to our taste than the Juice Drink served in many of maltas other 4* properties.

Lunch offered salad items, cooked meats - chicken (proper sliced not pre-pack), ham (not wet pre pack type), and a couple of others, several cheeses, various coleslaw type salad items, potato salad etc, various dressings, pasta dishes, hot fresh meat and veg in fact as it is a buffet style you can basically pleae yourself, deserts offered various gateaux and cakes again nice but not the same as regular UK frozen deserts again this is typical for malta as seems more european style, nice selection of ice creams.

I cannot comment on alcoholic drinks as I do not take much notice as I am unable to drink due to my conditions but I can say the soft drink selection was fine with the usual choices plus Kinnie there local speciality.

The speciality restauraunts were good Oriental , Mediteranean and Brazilian type plus during day usual snacks or fast food and pizzas.

Pool area is large and access slopes good on outside pool, inside pool and spa not really changed.

Negative bits

For me I felt hotel is a bit big with 500+ rooms, lost some of the homely feeling had before.

Being all-inclusive many guests less likely to venture out locally to other restaurants, attractions as many people on All Inclusive feel they want to get the most for there money and due to H&S food cannot be taken outside of hotel if you are going out.

I miss the old coffee-shop and ice cream parlour available to non residents.

This hotel is a mixture of old and new - unfortunately all hotels get wear and tear. Things happen - bulbs blow accidents happen and when a hotel is at 98% + occuppancy for 8 months in a row keeping up to date with maintenance is hard with rooms being vacant for sometimes as little as 2 - 3 hrs . How often when somethings goes wrong or we accidently damage items do we report them, we think they will automatically find it and sort it, but in the short time they dont always find it and things get missed.

Remember when reading any hotel review :

1) What are you looking for in a hotel
2) What do others think
3) Star ratings ie 4* relates to facilities not QUALITY
4) Depending on where we come from everybodies expectations of a property is different. - I do not expect a showroom from a brochure, I look for a functional, comfortable but useable property,
5) Service - Staff are human and can change day to day - Do you ever have off days ?
6) What are you using the room/property for - I use as a base and rely on being able to ask for a little extra help when needed - I don't pick a property to spend whole of holiday in hotel as I feel I need to get the most out of my time away as I can even though I cannot do everything I want - and I do not know how long I will be able to continue getting away with carer.

Room Tip: Superior rooms or sea view need to booked rather than attempting to upgrade on arrival as space can...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank caravanmysteryvisits
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is, I believe an honest review of this Hotel. We are a couple who have 2/3 holidays a year since retiring. We look for 4 star standard and have stayed in many hotels all over the world and I would say that we were VERY typical mid sixties people looking for a NICE hotel.
We booked the Seabank All Inclusive Resort & Spa because we understood it to be of good standard and we saw some good things on Tripadvisor. We booked a Superior De Luxe room understanding it to be 'that little bit more luxurious !
On arrival we were allocated a very small room, you couldn't actually walk past each other at the end of the bed ! When we asked to be moved to a larger De Luxe room were told that all the De Luxe rooms were the same size which we later found out to be untrue, and CERTAINLY the picture of the De Luxe room/balcony in the hotel brochure SUGGESTS a much larger room.

The balcony was very narrow and long, and not private. The wall dividing the balconies was only waist high so when you walked back into your room you could see right into the next bedroom, they equally could see right into ours !

We knew that there was a road directly in front of the hotel which had to be crossed to get to the beach, but we did NOT know that it was the MAIN road and bus route through the town, neither did we know that on Sundays it turned into 'Brands Hatch' motor circuit. 6am both Sunday mornings dozens & dozens of very large, very loud motor bikes roaring up and down the hills past the front of the hotel.

The bathroom was 'adequate' with a shower over the bath which was powerful and always had plenty of hot water. The sink was VERY small, only the size of a cloakroom sink, hence washing out swimsuits etc. had to be done in the bath. The door furniture in our bathroom was all rusty which gave the whole place an 'uncared for' feeling. Not perhaps, a de luxe bathroom !

As far as the De Luxe package was concerned - we did get dressing gowns & slippers but no sparking wine ( instead we got a bottle of red wine, which to be fair we could have got by the bucket full in the hotel anyway, all inclusive, but you couldn't get sparking wine from the bars so it would have been a bit different) We were NOT offered any sort of Spa treatment.

After one night we DOWNGRADED to a standard room (room 4441) in the newer part of the hotel which was much bigger, had a pool view which frankly was better than the sea view and no road noise! a very nice sunny balcony, still with Table chairs and two sunbeds, and was altogether much nicer

The General standard of the Hotel was very mixed, some very good bits and some not so good bits for instance:

The carpets in the corridors were VERY dirty, this was a problem throughout the whole hotel !

The Brazilian Restaurant had very nice salads but the meat they served was far from good.

The Italian Restaurant was positively disgusting the night we visited and we refused to eat there. The placed smelt very unpleasant, there wasn't a single table cleared, we had to ask someone to come and clear one for us which they did but DIDN'T wipe the table which had no table cloths, placemats, napkins or anything else on it. We walked up to the servery which was very well 'picked' over and messy, there were several pizzas with odd slices left, very messy bain maries with bits of lasagne etc all spilled out, all obviously been out for some time and looked awful. We decided to leave WITHOUT eating and went to the main restaurant, so I have no idea what any of it tasted like but no way would I have tried any of it !

Nowhere in any of the hotel restaurants was there any type of service. In every restaurant except the Brazilian, which by it's nature needed to be served, you had to get everything yourself. We did of course understand that it was Buffet and that we would have to help ourselves to food but, knives and forks, napkins, drinks? not even tea or coffee served at breakfast ! The Staff were, without exception, very nice and cleared away very efficiently (sometimes even before you had finished ) but literally did NOTHING at all to serve their Guests.

The Hotel had a dress code for some of the restaurants, this was completely ignored. People were entering the main dining rooms in shorts, tee shirts etc. and were never challenged.

The Restaurants was used for private parties which resulted in some evenings large sections of tables were not available to Hotel Guests.

Wi Fi if you had your own 'tablet' etc. but no Internet access otherwise.

The Hotel advertises a Bowling Alley which is there BUT has been ripped out and just ! There alongside the Childrens indoor area and the Italian Restaurant, left for the whole world to see as a ripped out site - no attempt has been made to hide it! I would suggest it is even a health and safety risk.

Our bed was very comfortable and the linen was changed every day, full marks, even if it is a bit excessive - BUT the duvets which were available if we needed them HAD NO COVERS on them, they were in the wardrobe and had clearly been used before then put back into the wardrobe for the next person to use UNWASHED I don't want to use a duvet which has been used by someone else and not cleaned or at least a clean cover put on it !!!!! Don't get me wrong they didn't look dirty, just clearly used by other people !

The pool area shown in one of the pictures in the brochure shows a very nice area above the pool area with cabanas on it, one of which looks like it is set out for a wedding with covered chairs etc. That area is in fact abandoned, most of the covers removed and the one remaining one is just left blowing in the wind.

This Hotel is NOT what we expected of a 4* Hotel. I know how Hotels are rated and this Hotel has all the pools, lifts etc. to warrant the stars but the general standards DON'T live up to 4* expectation.

Equally there were some really nice bits :

The Staff were ALL lovely

Pool area and sunbeds and towel service excellent, never been anywhere before where no one reserved sunbeds (Not a single towel out most mornings at 8.30am) because there were ALWAYS plenty.

The Mediterranean and Chinese Restaurants - Excellent

Entertainment Team and shows Excellent

Main restaurant - food good - especially breakfast.

Very quiet hotel (once we had moved away from the road)

I was told that Malta is the sort of place you either love or hate, I would agree, and I LOVED it - I am just SAD that this hotel is letting itself down. Things like the road, that can't be changed but charging extra for Superior rooms that clearly AREN'T superior, having rusty door furniture, dirty carpets and messy restaurants they are things you CAN do something about. Introduce a little bit of service for your Guests - how about someone finding and escorting you to a table in the main restaurant. Acknowledging Guests by serving tea/coffee at breakfast. Laying fresh cutlery when they clear a table. Having private rooms, or at least cordoned off parts of the restaurants for private parties, that way quests don't feel like they are 'intruding' on private celebrations. Board off the abandoned bowling alley so Guests can't see it ! Send the Managers of your Brazilian and Italian Restaurants to work with the Staff in the Chinese and Mediterranean Sites to learn how they do it so well. None of this is rocket science and it would make SUCH a difference.

Room Tip: DON'T book a Superior room, they are NOT worth the extra money, we DOWNGRADED ! Room 4441 in th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank paulinelesley
hubertdebono, General Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear paulinelesley,

thank you for writing such a detailed review about your recent stay at the Seabank, We value your opinion and all comments have been duly noted and discussed with the team.

The Deluxe rooms enjoy a large terrace with spectacular sea views. We are in process of updating their description to Sea view terrace rooms for future bookings. We will also see what we can do to improve the privacy aspect that you mentioned.

Yes there is a main road in front of the hotel which one would need to cross to get to the sandy beach. We never try to hide this but all rooms are fitted with double glazed doors that surely reduce or eliminate and noise coming from the road.

I am happy to note that our front desk team has managed to find you an alternative room which suited your needs.

The carpets are an issue that are being tackled during the low season. We have tried to clean them during high season but with all the guest traffic the effort was futile. I apologise for this but rest assured that the matter will be resolved.

The resort outlets are predominantly geared up to offer a buffet service except for the Brazilian and Italian restaurants in which the main course is waiter served. These two restaurants feature very highly at the moment in terms of guest satisfaction and we are sorry to hear you did not find them appealing. We are glad that nonetheless you have enjoyed the Coral, Mediterranean and Oriental restaurants. We thank you for all your recommendations about the 'extra' service tips which have been duly noted.

The bowling alley has been closed and it is no longer advertised. It is true that until it was totally cleared, the area has been visible but it is now properly covered and there is absolutely no health and safety risk.

Thank you for mentioning our comfortable beds. The duvets are meant to be on the sheets but we understand your point which will be addressed shortly.

Thank you for commending our staff and glad that you found the pool area and towel service excellent.

Seeing that you loved Malta, we are certain you will be back to our island. Should you be tempted to give us another try, feel free to contact me beforehand so I can explain what improvements have been done in the meantime.

Once again thank you for your constructive comments.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this place as we had a really good time here although I wouldn't say that it is a great hotel. One problem is that the building itself has all kinds of problems which is surprising for a place inaugurated a year ago. The tear and wear would be normal for a place that had been there for 10 years, not 1. The room was not impeccably clean. My sons' socks were black after running about for 30 minutes in the room. Also one evening a huge cockroach was running across the restaurant floor at the great delight of the kids and horror of the parents. In spite of all this the place has a nice feel to it, the sandy beach across the road is very good, and it is situated in a quiet corner of the island which is very good if you prefer relaxation to partying. The Gozo ferry is 10 minutes by bus, Popeye village is a 20 minute walk.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank KrisztiL

Dear KrisztiL,

thank you for you review. We are glad that you had a good time with us and that you have found the resort to be in a good location and has a nice feel to it.

We have noted your concerns about wear and tear which we have started tackling with our winter maintenance program. The hotel, although new, has been full for 8 months straight with over 1000 guests per day so unfortunately certain issues that required to close down some areas could not be rectified immediately. Rest assured that a plan is in place and all areas will soon be back to the original state or even better.

Thankfully we rarely have issues with any pests as a rigorous pest control program is in place. One-off incidents like the one mentioned are an unfortunate reality.

We do hope that overall you have been satisfied and will consider visiting us again. We look forward to welcoming you back and if there is anything we can do to make your next stay more enjoyable, please feel free to let us know.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We recently spent 2 weeks at the Seabank, our 6th successive year, and now call it our second home. We have seen it in 3 different forms over the years and despite such a large increase in size it still maintains the excellent service levels and welcoming approach. The staff at all levels are very attentive and willing to please and nothing is ever too much trouble - you just need to ask.
The rooms are very clean and comfortable with plenty of storage/hanging space together with safe and tea/coffee-making facilities. The bathrooms are clean and modern but the sink operation takes a bit of getting used to. There are 4 restaurants to choose from providing excellent quality food under the direction of a wonderful Executive Chef. We wondered whether the quality of food and drink would tail off by going All-inclusive but not so. The wines on tap are very pleasant and Lager plus all the usual soft drinks are also readily available.
The Pool area is well laid out with plenty of sun loungers and an adult's quiet section. The kids' club Animators appear to do a very good job. The Animation team also run the activities during the day and provide the entertainment in the Dome each evening. The only downside with the latter is they are so popular that when the children have had their show they like to stay on with parents for the main performance which can deplete seating availability.
Opposite the hotel is one of the best sandy beaches on the island and service/hop-on hop-off sightseeing tour buses stop right outside.
Overall the hotel is both of a very high standard and also very good value for money.

Room Tip: Sea-view rooms have good view over the bay but get very little sun. Pool view ones have sun much of...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mike C
hubertdebono, General Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Dear Mike C,

It is certainly a pleasure to have you as part of our ever growing loyal family of repeat clients.

We are very glad to note that you have welcomed the changes and improvements we have done over the years and even though the type of product we offer has evolved and the size of the hotel has continually increased, you still feel at home with us.

Thank you for commending the quality of our food and drink offering. A lot of effort has been put into ensuring that the All Inclusive meals are even better than when we only provided a half board deal.

As always, it will be an absolute pleasure to welcome you and your family back next year.

Best regards from all the Seabank Team!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

My Family and I stayed at Seabank for a week in October for Half Term.

Pros
Airport shuttle free - saved 50 euros
Animation Team (keep the kids happy). Very hard workers
Location - next to the largest beach in Malta.
Most of the staff were friendly efficient and very helpful. especially the cleaning and restaurant staff, always smiling and happy to help you.
Rooms were clean and large. Sea view rooms are spectacular
Spa - My partner loves a massage and has travelled round the world experiencing different hotels. She got a Hot Stone massage from a Thai Lady and said it was the best massage she had ever had!

Cons
Free Wifi - Could only connect to this first thing in the morning or late at night. between 9am and 10pm i was lucky if i could load bbc. I would have rather paid for a good connection
Food - Breakfast was very poor, never went back after the first day. Lunch and dinner were so inconsistent. some days really good other days really bad, All the meat dishes seemed to be overcooked and dry.
Drinks - everything out of vending machines. I have never been to a hotel before that served fresh juice out of a machine. Beer kept running out eventually gave up and went to the wine.
I mentioned a pro for the staff however 2 of the reception staff were rude and un helpful.
Money Exchange - The nearest bank is a 10 minute bus journey into the town, I asked if I could change money at the hotel and was told that it was 1:1 euro to gbp. Seriously?

I would not visit this hotel again only due to food and internet connection are very important to us.

Room Tip: sea views are spectacular
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear andydin,

many thanks for taking time to write a review on trip advisor highlighting the salient points from your experience with us.

We appreciate that you have mentioned our hardworking staff especially the restaurant and cleaning teams. Our Thai masseuse has really appreciated your praise.

We are quite surprised to note your comment about the wifi connection. I would really appreciate if you could let us know from which room or area you have tried to connect as we rarely have any issues of speed since the connection and coverage are normally excellent at all times.

I appreciate your opinion about the food quality and consistency. It is unfortunate to read that you did not try breakfast again after the first attempt. Our chefs behind the show cooking stations are always ready to help in case anyone requires an item which is different or extra to what is already on offer.

All the drinks come out of draught dispensers displayed on self service beverage counters in all restaurants. This ensures an easy flow and minimises waiting times to be served. We are sorry that you did not like that the breakfast juices came from dispensing machines but I can assure you this is a norm in many hotels. In our bars, juices are served from normal tetra packs. We have 6 beer draughts in the main restaurant and it is very difficult for all of them to finish at the same time. Our waiters manning the beverage buffets would only be too happy to assist in case of any issues.
We have taken note of your comment about the money exchange. We are also trying hard to get an ATM machine closer to us.

Upon reading your balanced review, I do hope that you will re-consider visiting us again. I can assure you that if you speak to us beforehand or whilst here, we can easily ensure you will have a fully satisfying stay.

Hubert Debono

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Solana Hotel and Spa
Solana Hotel and Spa
#3 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to db Seabank Resort + Spa? Share your experiences!