“A pleasant spring break”

db Seabank Resort + Spa
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Returned last night after a pleasant 7 night stay with my 23 month old son and OAP mum. We arrived at 1pm and had to wait until 2.30 for our room. This wasn't a problem as we went into the Coral Restaurant for a buffet lunch. We returned to reception to collect out 2 suitcases and 2 large hand bags and were given our key and directions to the room. We were not offered any assistance with our luggage and found it quite difficult to get to the 4th floor room allocated to us.
I had asked for a quite room with an open view and this is exactly what I got. Room 4423 over looked the pool/country-side, was large, newly decorated, had 4 easy chairs and a table, it was fitted with large double wardrobe, plenty of hangers and storage space. The bathroom was ideal, fitted with a large double ended bath and 2 outlet shower, a hairdryer and shaver point. For UK guests there is no need to pack plug adapters as the room had British plug sockets. The balcony was large and very secure for young children, being half brick built and half glass with a total height of approx 4.5 foot. We slept with the balcony doors open to allow fresh air in during the night and were never bothered by noise or mosquitoes. The hotel grounds were silent after midnight and we had a good sleep on comfortable new beds and pillows.
The weather was warm every day, a little over-cast at times, and a little bit too chilly to sit out-side most evenings especially if the wind was blowing. The outdoor pools were too cold to swim in for most people and the indoor pool was full of teenagers being teenagers! I would return, but not in peak season as I think it would be too crowded for me.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for db Seabank Resort + Spa

Reviewed May 3, 2013

just arrived back from the Seabank hotel and I am pleased to say it was an ok hotel the staff made this hotel better than it was
on arrival they tried to give me a pool view room and it quite clearly stated on the paperwork I produced it was a sea view room and this was sorted at once
there was a very nice lady on reception who explained most things to us about the hotel
room was ok size and masses of storage big comfy bed and good sized bathroom and decent shower it was just the floor that was filthy dirty and our feet had to be washed and socks worn before bed until I spoke to the very nice maids the next day who promptly cleaned it for us
fridge and water supplied for you and plenty of tea and coffee but as always in all hotels milk is more difficult to obtain unless you buy your own
food was ok but they need to look at how they cook vegetables - most days they were like mush!
but you would have to be very picky if you could not find anything to eat as there was a good range of choices of all types of food and desserts
I would like to say thank you to all the chefs who looked after my special need for egg-free food and to Paul for my very tasty cheese cake he made for me - egg free of course - thank you.
everything about the hotel was ok but nothing exceptional for the amount of money it cost - I have had better for less in 3star hotels - but on saying this our hotel was apparently praised by all compared to the disastrous hotels others stayed in
the weather was a bit hit and miss - but that is never guaranteed anywhere
the bowling alley didn't work but the pools were good and the seating areas around the pool were excellent
Chinese restaurant was just ok never had the Brazilian food so cant comment but didn't hear any raves about it either.
Also the hotel can decide what time and when the all inclusive starts and finishes and with 2 people on the bar - 1 used to collect glasses - it was a good ploy by the hotel to make sure not too many people got too many drinks - pity help those in the busy months!
Closing the bar at 11 and then you have to buy tokens for any late drinks - bit of a let down if its suppose to be all inclusive
the best entertainment and pleasantries was by the animation team - very well done - I have never wanted to be entertained while on holiday but to my surprise I actually wanted to watch their shows they put on and they put 100% of effort into it too - and all the children at the hotel loved them and seemed to have a great time with them all excellent.
They also took the time to go around all the guests and valued your comments about the show you had just watched which was a nice touch
getting around Malta was easy via the Arriva buses but the drivers were absolutely crazy! to say the least and I don't think the Maltese people were impressed by them either
generally a nice hotel and a nice place to visit

Room Tip: higher floor sea view rooms are worth the extra money
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just returned yesterday from Seabanks A/I in Malta, our room was clean and spacious,more than adequate for our needs, bit of a walk from the lifts but ok. We found it very noisy with the balcony door open as we were facing the new bypass road, so sitting on the balcony was not always a pleasent experience, the week end was worst as the towns motor cyclists seemed to want to try out TT racing (not good) Also we had problems with our room door, we were shut out three times and shut in once as well !! Another problem was a dicky fire alarm which went off twice during our stay, 0700hrs is never good for false alarms (however, good job they were false) We were woken one morning at 0500hrs by a large generator starting up and continuously running till ? who knows when, we eventually went to breakfast and then out.

Food was generally good, and certainly plentiful, tho it reminded me of my youth and good old butlins, some times it was VERY busy and Noisy but i guess that is what you have to expect with buffet style restaurants. They do offer other dining options at Seabanks and we sampled both the Brazilian and the Asian on seperate occasions, both excellent quisine, we also tried out the jungle which was frankly awful, it took ages to be served and when the food eventually arrived it was not good !!

The hotel has a spa and both indoor and outdoor pools which we used regularly tho the outside pool was very cold indeed, At weekends the hotel allows day visitors from local Maltese people and as such becomes extremely busy, probably to the detriment of existing customers for example it was difficult finding a table at times in the Coral restaurant and some food and drink did actually run out.
A positive, was the attention of the staff, they were more than happy to help and always polite and friendly, the evening entertainment was very much HI-DE -HI in style but the animation staff worked their socks off and deserve to be recognised, well done !!
To sum up, we enjoyed our stay at Seabanks but feel it failed to tick all of the boxes we expected for the amount of money we paid.

Room Tip: Pool view is recommended, less noisy than the new by-pass.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BirminghamLeslie
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We have just returned from a week in the Seabank hotel and it was nice, the room was very clean and spacious and our hotel maid Zara was always very friendly. The location is great, near the beach and the bus station. The most disappointed thing was the brazillian restaurant, first of all, the restaurant is called El Rodizio, why put the name in spanish when it is a brazillian restaurant and the portuguese is the language of brazil? Then it didn't had not even one ingredient that it's used in the brazillian rodizio, yes it was a rozidio of different meats, but not at all a brazillian rodizio. So if you know what a brazillian rodizio really is, don't book there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is amazing and I am not easily impressed. The staff are always friendly and the hotel is clean and new. The indoor pool was a blessing for the kids and the quality and abundance of food and drink left us speechless!

The only gripe that I have is that the hotel is rather large and we weren't shown where anything was not even our room. We are locals so felt left out when we saw other foreign guests being shown around. Also it seems that the animation staff is off on Wednesday.

All that being said I am rating 4 stars because the overall expierence was good.

• Stayed: April 2013
Ivan B, Manager at db Seabank Resort + Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments and constructive comments on the Tripadvisor.

Yes it is true the Resort has become the largest in Malta and we will inform our reception staff to explain better the facilities upon arrival. I would like to point out that a clear map is provided on the key wallet and if assistance had been requested a member of staff would have been more than willing to assist with your luggage.

Our new animation team are doing a sterling job and well liked by all our guests. It would be nice to have them 7 days a week but unfortunately we all need a break. Animation day off is on Tuesday not Wednesday, which means no day time activities and in the evening we have a musical show by 3 talented singers instead.

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Seabank Resort & Spa.

Best wishes,
Ivan Borg Ferrando
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just returned from a week's late booking at the Seabank and was very impressed. Having read some of the reviews here I wasn't expecting great things but I was pleasantly surprised.

My first impression was of a luxury hotel when I arrived. Reception was light and airy with lots of relaxed looking customers sitting around in comfortable chairs. Reception staff took plenty of time to explain to me how the restaurant and bar set up worked and I just had enough time to get food before the restaurant shut at 10pm.

The food choice was excellent and I thought the set up was very good, considering the number of people the hotel can accomodate. I can understand people's comments about the main restaurant having a canteen feel but I can't see a better way of catering for over 1000 guests. Clear away was very efficient and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every dining experience I had there. It was nice to have the choice of eating from the poolside restaurant at the weekend and great to be able to have a full English (Scottish!) breakfast every day. The food in the Coral Restaurant was so good that I didn't try the other on site restaurants on offer.

The room was spacious with a huge comfortable bed, 2 large easy chairs and 2 tub chairs set around a small table. There were also 2 patio chairs and a table on the large balcony. My room overlooked the Mellieha bypass but traffic noise was only problematic when in the room with the patio doors open. Only small compaint when I stayed was that the strong wind made a whistling noise through one of the door seals, I coped though! Bathroom was great with choice of bath or shower and plenty of hot water at all times. Free lockable safe and kettle with plentiful supply of tea and coffee are nice touches.

Lovely large outdoor area with several different sections - pool, two bars, olive garden, kids play area and activity areas. Plenty of sun loungers and well designed outdoor layout. Didn't set foot in the pool as the weather wasn't that sunny but it looked great! Can't comment on the gym or indoor pool either as didn't try them.

Free and fast Wi-Fi throughout hotel and in the rooms was a great bonus.

Bus travel for a day was only 2.60 Euros with a stop right opposite the hotel. Buses every half hour to Valetta....ok, I didn't get a seat all the time but wasn't a problem. Took about an hour to get to Valetta but watch out for the bumpy roads!

Hired a car locally and got it for half the price quoted in the hotel lobby. I know they're always going to be a bit dearer on site but that seemed a lot more. The car I eventually got had been in the wars already but saved me worrying too much about a pristine car considering the way the locals drive! Definitely hire a car and explore the island as there is so much more to see than just Mellieha and Valetta.

Loved this hotel, glad I chose it.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the bypass so there was a bit of noise - sure the pool view rooms would have been...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank ewan s
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel itself is so clean. . Rooms. . Bar. . Rest. . . Toilets. We knew it would be lovely. House keeping staff are the nicest and most friendly i have come across. Well done Allison! The bed are so Comfy, tea/coffee facilities . . Fridge. . Hairdryer . . Balcony seating. . Tv. . Grand job!!! The staff make this hotel. Great to see the head chef out on the floor acknowledging the guests. . There is tonnes to eat . . And caters for all countries tastes. . Some of it not being to my liking but you can't have it all your way. Loads to do and always something live on at night. . Every night. I will come back and stay here. Loads of horror hotel stories so take this hotel!" its a good choice

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Anne H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Solana Hotel and Spa
Solana Hotel and Spa
#3 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to db Seabank Resort + Spa? Share your experiences!