“perfect quiet holiday.”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“perfect quiet holiday.”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

just got back from 10 days at riviera and have to say it was almost perfect. the staff are really friendly especially Ivan and Wayne at the bar who makes the best cocktails. the hotel is located in a very quiet position but there are buses passing every 10 mins, so access to the rest of the island is good. the food is plentiful although it did lack a bit as it got busier. however as AI you are able to eat in the Melanzine Trattoria next door which is a pizza and pasta restaurant and this was a real bonus as you could order fresh pizza. the outdoor pools were cold but there was also an indoor pool open until 11pm. The Elypsium spa was good as you have free use of the steam room and sauna 2-6pm,and there is also a fair size gym. The beach bar and pool bar were open at times which was useful, but you were never too sure when they were going to open. Charlie Noble bar was the best but only open late aft and evening, but AI drinks were plentiful, especially the choice of cocktails. the hola beach was a little walk from the hotel and not much there, but we would recommend you walk 20 mins to Arnier Beach and this was a real gem. Animation team work really hard, but the entertainment itself is poor. There were a few visiting singers, but no real shows and the one which should have been on was cancelled due to the german football, as the hotel is almost full of german holiday makers. we really need to encourage more uk holiday makers as the local maltese love the english, always making time to talk. you can book trips directly at the hotel through a guy and you can also get boat trips to comino right outside the hotel. awesome ferries is a must as its a really fast little boat.A walk along the Marfa ridge to the white tower at the end is a must and if you go around behind the aerial you will have a spectacular view into a hole looking down and out to sea. there is a mobile supermarket outside the hotel but other than that no shops at all nearby, but if AI you dont need much. one issue we did have though was with water. as you do not get bottles and the hotel water is undrinkable, you either had to but water or just get glasses of it as you were not allowed to fill your own bottles! we had a country view room which was lovely as we could also see the sea. the roadworks are finished and the road behind the hotel is very quiet. we had a lovely stay and would go back again.

Room Tip: higher rooms with country views are lovely as you can see sea as well. however we had 4th floor whic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BargeeGirl
Dean M, Manager at LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
I would like to first of all thank you for the very nice comments you have left above.
We are very pleased to hear thet you have enjoyed your stay here with us and have every intention of coming back.

The variety of restaurants the hotel offers is setup in a way to ensure that every guest, whatever his or her tastes are, will find something to their liking. Our 3 restaurants offer such a variety of dishes that we are sure that our guests will leave with a feeling of good value for money.

Our spa is a true gem. Offering a wide variety of treatments and massages. Our indoor pool is also very popular with our guests, such as the sauna and squash court.

Whilst I thank you once again, I look forward to seeing you here with us once again in the near future.

Accommodations& Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just back from a 10 day holiday at the Riviera Hotel and spa on an all inclusive basis and before I go any further I have to tell you that I am the pickiest eater ever but the food in the Mirasol restaurant was just outstanding.
During our 10 days there the soup on offer was homemade and different everday, there was always two meats and a fish course The highlight of the week for me was loin of pork in a gorgonzola sauce which was just fantastic. I admit that the veg variety was a bit limited and the potatoes were nearly always new potatoes with a different theme but to say the food was inedible (previous reviewer) is a bit "over the top"
The salad bar was superb and the sweets always had a choice of 3 - 4 dishes.
All inclusive is always going to upset someone as you are in a serve yourself situation but I honestly thought the food offered was more than adequate.
The drinks were fine and plentiful allthough some of the cocktails were a bit thrown together, but hey, who cares, you can have as many as you want when you want.
This hotel is just fine and was the relaxing break that we wanted away from it all, which it was; there is a local bus service which for 2.65 euros a day or a weekly ticket of 12 euros will get you anywhwere on the island and back again. Remember this hotel is far away from anything so no bars and restaurants.
Rooms are brilliant and we had clean towels everyday and the bed changed at least 3 times during our stay.
Aimation team was a bit full on but they had just started for the season and were keen to impress the management.
Staff are so helpful with a special mention to Mary on reception who will sort everything for you.
I've not been to Malta before but I found the Maltese people so friendly and helpful.
I wanted to watch the Rugby international between Malta and Switzerland which was being staged just outside Valleta and Mary organised the printing of the tickets for me and pointed us in the right direction re buses ect.. when we arrived in the area where the match was taking place a local took the trouble to walk a short way with us to help us find the ground.........amazing!!
Didn't use the Spa but it looked excellent as was the indoor and outdoor pool
I could go on but I think you get the picture.......after all this is/was a Barcello hotel.
I understand the hotel is closing mid November 2013 until late April 2014 for a refurb and alterations to increase the size and pedestrianise the road immediately outside the front.
It will only improve a very nice hotel indeed.

Room Tip: stayed in country view room......just fine, lovely views and very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bobbo92
On behalf of the management and staff of The Riviera Resort & Spa, I would like to thank you for the very nice review you have written above.

We strive on a daily basis to offer the best possible level of product and service to all of our guests and comments such as yours fill us with pride and encouragment to continue doing our best.

I am extremely pleased to hear that you have enjoyed every aspect of your stay here with us.
Our staff do their very best in order to ensure that our guests leave the hotel with a smile on their face.

Whilst I thank you once again, I hope we will have the pleasure of having you here with us in the near future.

Kind Regards
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Where to begin.

Just got back form the Riviera all inclusive and the reality is this;

Pro's
The staff, namely Mary, Timur & Valentina made it for us, as they accommodated any problems we encountered.
The facilities are really good (swimming pools, jacuzzi, spa etc)
the rooms are kept to an incredible standard and the head of housekeeping is definitely on top of things.
Cons
Food in their standard (mirasol) restaurant is poor, as in inedible, and my girlfriend and i eat everything.
Their onsite entertainment, (Animation) are there all day, and while i imagine they are lovely people, (and i don't know why they do this) hassle guests all day, you literally can't escape them and relax by the pool.

And that's a fair evaluation of it. But i guess you get what you pay for and it is up to you if the 'all-inclusive' world is your thing.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joshua C
Dean M, Manager at LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Joshua,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to write the above review.

I appreciate your comments with regards to our facilities and rooms. We do our best to keep these at the best possible standards for our guests.

With regards to the food, almost all of our guests compliment all of our outlets. We offer our guests the possibility to dine in all 3 restaurants. We have the Trattoria offering a buffet of Pizza, Pasta & Salads, The Bistro which is our A la Carte restaurant with a very wide variety of dishes and The Mirasol Restaurant which is our main restaurant offering an array of antipasti, fish, meat, pasta and desserts.
We are more than sure that with these 3 options all of guests will find something which suits their tastes.
When it comes to the animation team, they do their very best to make sure that our guests enjoy their stay here with us. They put up shows 3 times a week and guests love it.

Whilst I thank you once again for the above review, I hope we will have the pleasure of having you with us once again.

Regards,
Harlow
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Very friendly staff. Couldn't help us enough. Food very good.
Would recomend this to anyone wanting a warm welcome relaxing holiday.
We went all inclusive, and the cocktails are hand made not out of a bottle.
Only slight downside is not a big enough shop on site. I do like my chocolate. But you could eat from all the time with sandwiches and tea time cake etc between meals.
I would go again. Just stop me :o)

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ToniBassett
Dean M, Manager at LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Mr. Basset,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to write the very nice review above.
It is very nice to hear that you have enjoyed your stay here with us and have every intention of coming back.

We very much base our reputation on the quality of service and products.

Whilst I thank you once again. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of having you here with us in the near future.

Valletta, Malta
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We went for a weekend break with my parents and my two kids. Food was horrible, we didnt find one single thing that was pleasant to eat. Everything was really cheap and bad. It was an example of modern day slavery, with waiters working from breakfast time up until after dinner, they looked tired and overworked. It was sad to see such abuse. Staff were still friendly. Not ideal for kids as full of grumpy old people.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank malteser80
Dean M, Manager at LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Whilst we appreciate your opinion on your stay here at The Riviera, I would like to make somethings clear for all of our followers who might be reading your post.

The most serious accusation that in my opinion you have made is the one about the way we treat our members of staff.
I can assure you and all the persons reading this post that here at The Riviera, we follow all the rules and regulations according to the Maltese Legislation.
Our members of staff are paid for the hours they work and thus the term 'Modern day Slavery' is a false accusation.

When it comes to the quality level of food in our restaurant, I must say that as you can also see from the other reviews posted, very little make any negative remarks about our food. Actually most of our guests praise the food quality we offer in our 3 restaurants.

Regards,

Accommodations & Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Mellieha hotels

Fredrikstad, Norway
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Me and my sister were going on a vacation together, this looked like a nice hotel, but when you looked closer not so good. It was mold in the bathroom, and a huge crack in the wall in our room. It was not possible to lock the balcony door, looked like someone hade messed with it, twisted the metal inside the lock. We did not feel very safe. The staff tried to fix the Lock and the mold, but did not work. The hotel run out of water for the guest to buy, that was horrible. It was far to a any Place you could buy any water, no stores. Not very much around this area. The hotel restaurant Sol E Mar Bistro was amazing. We ate here 2 times every day. The spa was great. The spa had water, but did not want to sell it to the hotel guest. So I booked apoinments in the spa to get water.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank traveler86-1
I would like to start off by thanking you for the time taken to write the above post.

Our hotel has been in operation for 13 years and thus the coming winter we will be closing for several months in order to fully refurbish the hotel. This will give our hotel a new look and most of all amazing rooms and public areas.

With regards to the problems you encountered with your room, I do apologise that our team weren't able to fix them however, I do regret not getting to know about this matter before.

With regards to the 2 liters bottles of water finishing, this was just for a couple of hours. However I do agree that this might have caused some inconvenience and I do apologise for this.

Whilst I thank you once again, I do hope that you will give us another chance and we will have the pleasure of having you here with us in the future.

Accommodations& Operations Manager
austria
Reviewed April 2, 2013

very good location, walking distance to ferry.
pool has a good seize with 30° Cel water temperature
2 jacuzzi s; 1 very large - 7 m dia.
staff is very friendly, always with a smile.
Karen at the bar is extremely efficient, very friendly, every Hotel would like to have on their staff
Ivan, restaurant supervisor, won maltese cocktail making competition, too bad he is not behind the bar.
in all, nice relaxing 2 week vacation, not as noisy as most hotels on in the island, with busy roads right in front.
bus rides are pain, stops every 100 mtrs and goes at times in circles.to go to Valetta 90 min.

Room Tip: hotel quiete bay, rock beach 10 m away, had a nice sew view room, though room without sea view is...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelbug268
Dean M, Manager at LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I would like to first of all thank you for the nice comments you have left above.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay here with us.

Our staff are our main asset and we are very happy with the performance of each and every staff member. Almost all of our guests compliment our staff on a daily basis and this for us is very important.

We also boast of having a hotel which is surrounded by green areas and facing the Sea. This makes our guest truly enjoy a relaxing holiday.
Our Spa is also a very important factor in this, offering a wide variety of massages and treatments.

Whilst I thank you once again, we hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you once again here with us in the near future.

Accommodation Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#5 of 12 in Mellieha
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to LABRANDA Riviera Premium Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!