“good experience with a bad ending”
Review of Ramla Bay Resort

Ramla Bay Resort
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have been on our second weekend break at this hotel.... all seem to have gone well, until we thought of playing table tennis.
The table tennis is location next to the indoor pool.......as it is expected this area is very warm due to the heat of the indoor pool.... when my partner was sweating all over, he quickly looked around the place to see if there where any signs saying that he could not remove his shirt....as no signs where in place, he took off his shirt.....until a very rude person came up to him, claiming that she was the general manager(with no name tag of who she was) and in an arrogant way insisted that he puts on his shirt on again.... we asked to have at least the air conditioner on , to which she answered that there was none......
We just wonder if this is the right way to treat the customers at the hotel, turning our stay from a pleasant one to a stay with a bad ending.
Ms Grech, who claimed to be the general manager ought to learn better how to handle customers, who come to spend their money at the hotel,

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nathalie1223
martinfrandon, General Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Nathalie1223,

I thank you for choosing our Resort and glad to note that you had a good experience. For correctness sake I feel that I need to clarify a few points.

Our Resort has the facility of both heating and cooling.

On the 7th April cooling was not on, since it was raining, windy and the prevailing temperature being 13 degrees celsius . I confirm that I introduced myself and told the guest to wear his shirt since being bare chested is not allowed in the public areas.
We do not have a sign stating this, however it stands to reason that this is not permitted in a 4 star hotel . Had we to write down instructions for everything I am afraid we would risk running out of space where to fix them.

At no point was I arrogant and regret that it was taken badly.

We sincerely hope that the above clarifies this incident and will not hinder you from choosing our Resort once again.

Ms T Grech

Write a ReviewReviews (2,104)

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I know Malta well and have always wanted to stay at this Hotel. It is in a quiet location and spread over a good area so you don't feel on top of all the other guests.
I had booked a single Country room on half board. I knew this would not be a room facing Comino but I was really pleased because the Country room overlooked the sea towards Armier Bay. It had a sunny balcony in the morning. The room was very clean and very quiet.

The staff I spoke to were polite and helpful.

I used the indoor pool but two of the outdoor pools were out of order. I think they were being repaired and repainted for the coming season. There was a third outdoor pool. I decide to swim in the sea as I thought it would be warmer than the pool (not sure whether it was).

There was a huge amount of choice at breakfast and the evening meal. I didn't have children with me but I think they would have liked the burgers, Chips and chocolate spread on offer (hopefully not all at once). There was a lot of choice for meat and fish eaters but as a vegetarian I was a little disappointed. The salads looked really good but so many of them had fish or meat in them and it would have been good if there was labels on all the salad dishes so you could tell what was in them. I had to grab a passing chef to ask if the salads had meat in.
The desserts were my favourite part of the meal and again there was always plenty to choose from.

To sum up... would I stay there again? Yes.
Would I go half board? Probably not. I was in need of better quality vegitarian food.

Room Tip: Don't be worried about chosing a 'country room'... it was fine.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear holidaygirl329

Thank you for choosing The Ramla Bay Resort and for your review. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that you had a 'Great Holiday'.

Being set on this lovely tip on the North of Malta, makes the Ramla Bay Resort a special location for a relaxing holiday and breath taking views of the Mediterranen Sea and the Maltese Countryside.

We are pleased that you have found the staff to be helpful and polite, and we have taken note of your comments.

The indoor pool is heated to between 28 and 29 Degrees Celsius, this is warmer than the current sea temperature.

We look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Myself and my partner have just returned from a lovely week relaxing in Malta. We booked to go literally a few days before and therefore had done only limited research into the hotel and the area as a whole.

LOCATION: The hotel is a 10 minute bus ride from the village/town of Mellieha. There is one other hotel opposite and other than that you're pretty much on your own. Buses into the town run frequently, from the early hours until late at night. The bus stop is only a 10 minute walk away, at the top of the street where the next hotel is located. We bought a 7 day pass (12 euros each) and thoroughly abused it! Due to the bus stop being on the main road to the Gozo ferry terminal (which you can walk to in 15 mins), there are plenty of buses to all parts of the island. Ask at reception for a timetable but (as we had both stupidly forgotten to pick up our driving licenses before we left), we travelled everywhere by bus: Valetta, Mdina, Buggiba, even going into Sliema one evening for a meal and drinks. It's cheap and easy (if not a little frustrating at times).

MELLIEHA: This is a lovely town, very picturesque. There are some nice restaurants. Please be aware that quite a lot of them are shut on a Sunday. Prices for pizza and pasta dishes are reasonable; other mains would become expensive for families. There are a couple of nice beaches; Mellieha beach is lovely. If you fancy treating yourselves, Rebekah's restaurant is amazing. Take the street directly up from opposite Bouquet Garni (on the main street near Hilltop). When you reach the fork in the road (there's a white apartment block) veer left and it's on the right hand side. The food was delicious; the service excellent. Posh food and normal person portion sizes, some unusual options such as Kangeroo (delicious) and Wild Boar. We paid about 70 euros for 2 starters, 2 mains, small bottle of wine and a bottle of water. This also included some lovely fresh warm bread and an amuse bouche (complimentary). Be aware the pasta/risotto starters we had were HUGE... So Go Hungry!

ROOMS: As it was a very last minute booking, we had no choice in our room and weren't bothered by this. We were given a room on the first floor. The room was very spacious and clean. There was some damp behind the balcony curtains, where the paint was beginning to bubble but other than that it was spotless. The balcony unfortunately was part of the roof of the bar downstairs, so there was little/no view as such but again this wasn't a massive issue for us as we were out most days, and when in and it was warm enough to sunbathe we headed downstairs. The only thing we were disappointed with was the beds as we had actually booked a double room! However we didn't get a double bed, instead having two (large) twin beds pushed together. They weren't zip beds either, which meant throughout the course of the night the beds gradually pushed further and further away from each other, making for an uncomfortable night's sleep.

POOLS, WEATHER and SUNBATHING: We had lovely weather; only two days were chilly all day due to quite high winds but they were still really bright and sunny, we took these days as sightseeing days for further afield. The rest of the week was light jacket/cardigan weather in a morning/evening and warm enough to sunbathe from 11 - 3. We didn't have a problem getting a sunbed (though confess to taking a European approach one or two mornings and nicking one first thing laying claim with our towels). The outdoor pools were closed at the start of the week, one had opened by our last day. The indoor pool was lovely, though a little chilly. Perfect temp for sports swimming but a little cool for those just passing the time/relaxing.

HOTEL on the whole: The staff were always friendly and helpful in answering any questions. The room was cleaned each day, only one day they turned up really late (4pm in the afternoon) and we had just got in from a long day sightseeing and had to decline. The supermarket was a bit expensive, but we used the supermarket 'van' located outside the hotel opposite for water etc. There was some entertainment, seemed there was usually something on in the bar on an evening (singer or Bingo), there was a 'Walk of the Day' each morning, there was some sort of afternoon activity going on. We didn't use any of them but we saw plenty of people getting involved.

The only problem was the availability of food in an evening. We stayed B&B (as we like to eat out and planned to be out). The breakfast was fine, plenty of fresh fruit and delicious yoghurts along with the usual items. The bar food was also good. The problem was that after 18:30 in the evening, there was nowhere to eat apart from the buffet which (if you weren't FB or Ai) was 25 euros each. The bar stops serving food. We had had a really long day, both very tired, we had arrived back about 7:30 in the evening and decided to eat at the hotel that one evening, not really feeling like going back to the bus to go into town, after showering. Not particularly starving, we were hoping for a bar snack option which we could only have if we ordered it as room service (5 euro charge) AND ate it in our room!! We could have anything off the bar menu; BUT we had to go to our room for it to be 'delivered' and eat it there! If there was anywhere else nearby then this wouldn't have been a problem, however there wasn't and therefore this is what we did. They did say in Summer they have a outdoor Pizzeria, not much use to those wanting to eat in March!

Recommend: Mdina and Rabat - take some time to visit the Catacombs in Rabat too. Sliema for shopping, everyone promotes The Point shopping centre but actually a bit further down in Sliema there is a huge UK style high street (without the UK recession style empty units). We enjoyed Valletta too.

Let Downs: Gozo; don't get me wrong it's a nice island and the capital Victoria is a lovely way to spend an afternoon but it had been so hyped up tour companies and in travel guides I was expecting a land that time forget, with unbelievable views and charm. In truth we didn't find it much different to the mainland Malta. The tour companies were pushing trips starting at 50 euros per person. We walked 15 mins to the ferry (took the bus back), easily bought our own tickets and then took the hop on/hop off at the other side (bought tickets in the terminal for 10 euros each). This cost us 30 euros for us both!
The hop on/hop off wasn't great. The buses run every 45 mins though most of what there is to see at each stop doesn't require 45 mins. The buses were also full, we managed seats on the top open air deck but many were stuck downstairs. I can imagine the whole experience being quite distressing in the height of Summer. Saying that, I am not sure it was worth 50 euros each to see it any other way. We're glad we have been but I would suggest researching exactly what you want to see on Gozo and taking the Gozo service buses straight there. Or taking your hire car!

Overall we liked Malta, Mellieha and Ramla hotel a lot. It was perfect for a sunny Easter break, with lots of sightseeing and the occasional lazy sunbathing afternoons.
I think next time we would possibly look at staying somewhere closer to Sliema where we felt there was a bit more on your doorstep but without the craziness of St Julian's Bay.

Room Tip: If you need a view, pay the extra and go higher up. We were right above the bar but didn't exper...
5  Thank Tigeralfiewoo
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Tigeralfiewoo

Thank you for choosing Malta and the Ramla Bay Resort for your recent holiday. Thank you also for taking the time to post this review.

We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the early spring sun. We have taken note of your less positive comments and necessary action will be taken , and, may we take the opportunity to clarify a few points.
Our daily buffet dinner is at € 20.50 per person, and when upgrading from bed & breakfast to half board basis for a period, special rates apply.
The indoor pool temperature is set and logged at between 28 and 29 degrees Celsius.

The location of the Ramla Bay Resort makes it really special to get away from the busy city life and to enjoy a relaxing break and holiday.

We hope you will return to our Islands and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Hotel was clean as a pin everywhere, the staff were all friendly and helpful and nothing was a problem to any of them. We went all inclusive but this did not lower the standard or the quality of the food, even the cooked breakfast was better than a lot of UK hotels we have stayed in, as for the evening meal there was a selection that would suit everyone, the bar snacks the same applies. My only criticism would be that I put on weight during the holiday and I should have used the gym more. The management of the hotel have got it right, which is more than I can say about Ryan Air, but that is another story.
Thanks Allan and Mary

Room Tip: Grit your teeth and pay for an upgrade to the third or fourth floor with a sea view
4  Thank 4321allanl
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear 4321allanl

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Ramla Bay Resort.
It is always a pleasure to read that members of our Team do their utmost to ensure a great holiday for our guests.

We hope to welcome you again at our Resort in the near future.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We spent a week at Ramla Bay with our 6 year old son and we all loved it. The hotel was great, lovely big room with great views onto the sea (although we did have to upgrade for this as we were originally given a ground floor room looking at a wall). The kids entertainment was excellent. The pools were clean and welcoming although tthe outdoor one was very salty and our son wasn't keen. Howvere the indoor pool was freshwater and a great, quiet alternative. Food in the upstairs /outdoor restaurant was exceptional and we would have dined there every night if possible (make sure to book in advance). The breakfast offered a good choice but was always manic. All in all, a great hotel and a great base for exploring the island. The beach area is nice and clean and safe for young kids. We enjoyed the trip to Popeye Village which is a short drive and a good day out.

Room Tip: The higher floors offer great sea views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Grim72
martinfrandon, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Grim 72

Thank you for choosing the Ramla Bay Resort and for the review on TripAdvisor about your holiday in June 2012.
We are delighted to read that all the family enjoyed the stay, entertainment and facilities of the Resort.

In Malta, it is illegal to have fresh water pools in hotels or resorts which are located close to the sea. This law has been introduced in order to save fresh water, which as you are aware is a commodity which needs to be looked after. Since we are on the water's edge, legally we are bound to use sea water for our 3 outdoor pools.
The indoor pool is filled with fresh water.
Needless to say, we still treat and test the water quality of all pools on a daily basis, making sure that it is clean and safe at all times.

We hope you are returning for another lovely holiday, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Me and my fiance stayed all inclusive at the Ramla Bay Resort from the 8th - 16th March 2013, and overall am quite pleased with everything during our stay. We had a comfort room I believe, which was the cheapest option. It was cleaned daily, with towels changed as you'd expect. One of the main things that we enjoyed was the friendly bar and restaurant personnel, couldnt have taken more care of you. They had a couple people on entertainment which were great, not many activities but it was at the begining of the season.
Heres the few faults I found, the food, although was catering for many nationalities was 'sameish' every day, only change in sauce etc. Lunch however was great, being able to choose from the bar snack menu, which had all sorts to choose from (pasta, burgers, sandwiches), and so by far was the best of the daily meals. Also our rooms air conditioner wasnt up to scratch and seemed to only be set on heat? This only bothered us on a couple of our days there which were above 20 degrees, which I hope for people staying in the summer is fixed soon! Also something which confused us more than anything was that we had to sign reciepts after every order of drink or food. Which was inconvenient more than anything as you needed to carry a room card around everywhere you went, to show staff who you were (a system ready for abuse if your self catering btw!).
So overall I thank the staff at Ramla Bay for our delightful stay. I would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a week away to the Med.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view, even with your comfort room. Just ask, the staff are more than helpful.
3  Thank Andrew C

Dear Andrew C

Thank you for staying at The Ramla Bay Resort during your recent visit to Malta. We are glad to read that you had a lovely holiday and a delightful stay and with pleasure will share your comments with the rest of the Staff Team.

May we take the opportunity to clarify that the airconditioning and central heating system is subject to prevailing weather conditions.

Since we offer different board basis (ranging from bed & breakfast to all inclusive) the policy and procedure of room card and signing helps to keep the system running smoothly.

We hope you will return to Malta and to our Resort, as we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was an unexpectedly lovely hotel. The room we had was spacious, clean and comfortable and most rooms have a view – especially the ones on the higher floors. All of the staff in the hotel (reception, bar and restaurant ) were friendly and helpful and the outdoor areas had lots of seating/lounging areas We had booked bed and breakfast as we usually enjoy trying different restaurants but we had to book half board as there are not many other restaurants and hotels and being February, they were still closed. We paid £15 per meal and were not disappointed with the food. There was a good choice each night and other than the salad area none of the meals were repeated. We used the local buses (ex London bendy buses) to get around the island and Gozo- very cheap and reliable – even on Gozo. The Maltese people were very friendly and helpful and overall we had a most enjoyable break.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kkplc

Dear kklpc

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ramla Bay Resort and for taking the time to post this review.

We are delighted to read that we have met and exceeded your expectations and that all Team played a part in delivering your most enjoyable week.

We hope you will return to our Islands and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Martin Farrugia Randon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
#2 of 13 in St. Paul's Bay
Salini Resort
Salini Resort
#1 of 13 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Ramla Bay Resort? Share your experiences!