“Had a fantastic time.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Ashford
“Had a fantastic time.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

My partner surprised me with a short break to Malta and he chose The Paradise Bay Hotel to stay at. When we arrived the staff at reception seemed very pleased to see us and informed us that we'd been given a free upgrade on our room. Great start. The room was very tidy but I couldn't say it was the cleanest room I've stayed in. The furniture was very dated and the doors out to the balcony weren't the easiest to open and close. The light on the balcony didn't work as we found out on the first night so rather then spending the evening sitting on our balcony we decided to switch the tv on. Unfortunately the choice of channels were terrible but who goes on holiday to watch TV? The bed was very comfy but the pillows could have done with being replaced as they felt very old and each night my partner and I would fold up two big towels and place them under each pillow before going to sleep. The bathroom had a very large sink and the hot water is very hot so be careful. One problem we had with the bathroom was the toilet flush. It was very water stained but each time the toilet was flushed, water would squirt out of the flusher and would often run down our arm. Breakfast was just as we'd expected with lots of choice. We both really enjoyed our time at the hotel and had found the staff to be very friendly and polite. We filled out a questionnaire about our stay during the last night. I gave the reception staff full marks but when the time came to checking out I was ignored by the two ladies on reception. Fair enough one of them was sorting out a room change with an unhappy couple who were complaining that their room was too noisy! The other lady just scowled at me and turned to sit at a computer at the back of the area. I then moved over to the side of the reception desk to wait for the lady to sort the unhappy couple out and out of nowhere a man marched up to the reception desk and rudely shouted over to the lady sat at her computer that he wanted to change his room as his room was too noisy for his liking. I stood there whilst the lady jumped up and looked at me and I thought great she's going to tell the man that he'd have to wait whilst she dealt with me but no. She didn't. She continued to ignore me. Felt very angry by now. Was standing there feeling stupid and couldn't decide whether to just leave the room key on the desk without saying word but I stood there because I didn't want to be rude! Once the unhappy couple had been given a new key to a new room I then got to check out. Compared to how I got treated when I first arrived, all I got was a very angry receptionist who just looked at me and waited for me to speak first and once I'd told her and handed the key card and the questionnaire to her just walked to the computer and then turned back to me and said Goodbye. That goodbye was the only word she said to me that whole time. I walked away wishing I could've taken the questionnaire back and changed the rating. My partner and I have already agreed that we'd return to Malta but we've also agreed that we won't be returning to The Paradise Bay Hotel. Shame about the service at reception.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
What can I say except thank for posting such a comprehensive report on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear of so many minor issues that could have been rectified immediately. I am pleased to hear that this did not mar your stay with us. The issues going on at reception during your check out were unfortunate and could possibly have been handled more effectively, I am sorry.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

if you want a hotel that is slightly secluded it is perfect, beautiful view of the sea.
had a brilliant time here prices are really good and the staff try and help as much as they can.

would definitely want to book it again especially after looking at how cramped other hotels are.

Room Tip: ask for Sea view otherwise you have a noisy motorway underneath you
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I thank you for your posting and consider that you have described our establishment very well. To avoid road side of the hotel it would be the bay view rooms to book as allour rooms are sea view.
Mosta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a family weekend break, we have 2 kids aged 8-9. The room for 4 was spacious, extremely well equipped and spotless and the view was fantastic. Both breakfast and dinner were very good and it was nice to see a change in the warm section of the breakfast from day to day. Drinks are not expensive over all. The kids enjoyed the indoor pool and the table tennis and other games downstairs, the swings were also a hit. The entertainment in the evening was not to our specific taste but the other guests seemed to enjoy it. The staff was helpful at all times. Over all 2 thumbs up.

1 Thank NKA770
SMF001, Manager at Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
I thank you for your postive response to Tripadvisor and more so for enjoying your break with us.

Baldock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Now I don't go on holiday to work but when the tv channels are crap I do like to use my iPad to watch a movie or sports. The coverage (that you have to pay for) is so rubbish that at one point I had to move my bed to behind the room door to get a signal! Tonight it doesn't work at all!!!! The excuse? Oh it's alright to work on laptops but not on an iPad! Bearing in mind that I contacted the hotel twice regarding the internet before I came away, one would have thought they would have actually mentioned that! Unfortunately the Maltese seem to be a very unfriendly race, they. Are not interested in helping to make your stay more comfortable, far from it. The room itself was lovely, the view was sunny all day which I wanted, overlooking the swimming pool that no one was in because it was too cold! And a lovely view of the bay. It was a very glamorous looking hotel until you looked close up! The marble lobby bad bar areas could do with a proper floor polisher, yes the carpets are threadbare in places, but not as bad as some previous comments. The bar staff, always seemed to be in a rush and you were really a nuisance for wanting something! If you get a room with a connecting door, then you need to hope you don't get noisy neighbours. The first two nights we had foreign geriatrics who were coughing and snorting in a disgusting way then they woke us up 4.30am playing a radio, using a phone and shouting! I think they have gone now. No cockroaches! We were on 3rd floor (331) definitely a plus point! I was here with my husband, there is not much here for children or young people. The nearest bars and restaurant are a bus journey away, but the good thing about the bus is that you pay €6.50 for a weekly ticket and you can use it as much as you like! Very handy. I soon worked out that on the map the stops are called by names and so I started to work out which name i wanted and waited for it to come up on the electronic route - easy! I daresay I will have more to add before the end of the two weeks! Check the kettle, I got an electric shock - not that they were too bothered! I can imagine it being lovely and full in the season, but doubt that the service would get much better!

Room Tip: Room 331 was nice , any 33- odd numbers get the sun all day and you overlook the pool and a bay, not...
1 Thank Nannypink P
I thank you for your response to Tripadvisor and must state that I am very disappointed that you consider it necessary to write such whilst you are still in house, whilst I fully appreciate that it is your opinion that you have stated I am disheartened that you have not informed the management of such disappointments.
The television channel listing cover 32 different channels and whilst I fully appreciate that you may not have your local channels from the UK as the signal strength is too weak for us to receive at present, we do offer a variety of channels in different languages.
I am sorry to hear that you consider the Maltese people to be unfriendly as the vast majority of visitors to Malta consider otherwise. Yes it is true that the staff are very busy at meal times and other peak periods but they are much more relaxed outside of these peak times.
The connecting doors that you mentioned are in fact double doors one to each room and should there been inconvenience as stated with the radio please in future inform the duty staff who will speak with the other guests to lower the volume.
The matter in relation to the kettle I have had checked and it is a plastic jug kettle which is presently operating correctly
Your opinion of there being nothing for children to do is disagreed with by the following client’s remark on Tripadvisor who stated that their two children enjoyed their stay with us.
I do thank you for stating that the room and views are very nice and yes the nearest town is some 8 minutes by bus that runs every 20minutes and the stops are just outside of the hotel both ways.
Mosta, Malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

This was the first time my husband and I stayed in this hotel. When we arrived the receptionists didn't even acknowledge us, they were talking between themselves and when i said i had a booking they looked frustrated that i interupted them! No information about the hotel facilities were given on check in, I had to ask for the whereabouts and timings etc. We have a 2 year old daughter and of course we booked a cot in our room, when we went in the room the cot wasn't there. We called reception and the maid came up and she didn't even knock, she just opened the door and came in. She said the receptionist didn't tell her that we had arrived. Room very dusty, also hairs in drawers,towels very old, mini bar fridge leaking water, tv channels jamming all the time and the picture goes on and off. No face cloths in bathroom, the mattresses are worn out and U shaped therefore uncomfortable. You have to pay to use the sauna and jacuzzi, gym equipment very old and most of them do not work. On our first night we went to dine at the K lounge and i found a piece of plastic in my food, when I told the waiter he didn't even apologise, he just took the piece of plastic away and that was it. We had also a cockroach in the room.When we went for breakfast the waiters on duty never acknowledged us or asked us for the room number and we had to go and get a highchair ourselves for our daughter. Breakfast very poor. The carpets in the corridors are all stained and worn out. On our second day we ordered some food in our room in the afternoon and when i called to place the order the waiter asked me if i have the exact change as he doesn't want to come up with the food and then come up again for a second time with the change!! Ketchup and mayonnaise were given in a jablo cup. Glasses had a smell of mould, like they haven't been used for a long time. Bar in the lobby they don't have a credit card machine so we had to go back and forth at reception to pay for our drinks as when I asked the barman to put the total on my room bill he said i needed to open an account at reception, when i went at reception they told me they have to block 200Euro from my card! we were only there for 2 nights and the receptionists told me it is not worth it for me to do so. This was meant to be a relaxing break for my husbands 30th bday and it was a nightmare. on check out no one asked for any feedback regarding our stay but i gave a letter to the receptionist to give to the general manager however i doubt if this was given to him, as from our experience the staff are not reliable at all. I think this hotel needs to be revamped with the staff included. I would never recommend this hotel and certainly we won't be coming back.

1 Thank Tennille B
I am sorry that we did not meet with your satisfaction but I do thank you for your constructive points to which we have addressed.

Travelers are raving about these Mellieha hotels

Xghajra, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We have booked this hotel several times including honeymoon as we love Mellieha. Unfortunately I have seen a slow drop in quality over the years. The rooms are spacious but the one we were hosted in this time was poor in terms of furnishings and not very clean. The bed was uncomfortable. The indoor pool was a bit cold (probably because it is now heated with solar panels) and the food (b'fast and dinner) good but maybe need to have more variety. All in all it was a nice weekend break except for one incident in the middle of the night. The fire alarm went off furiously and woke up everyone. We were told that there was no fire. The pest control guy triggered it accidentally with a spray gun whilst spraying in the kitchen!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am sorry to hear that you considered the room to be not as you had expected. The day in question was a full house and we did use our economy rooms and to this the package that was on run of house so if you had one of our economy rooms I agree that you may not have achieved what you had expected. The lack cleanliness is a different issue and for this I am sorry to hear of such, rooms division staff have been informed to correct their standards. The indoor pool since the solar panels have been installed is kept at 1 or 2 degrees higher than it was before (29 degrees) it was the ambient temperature as it was a very cold day with the glass walls and roof that transferred this ambient temperature.
Cardıff Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I was disappointed with having to pay for Internet. They had free Internet in the lounge but it did not work very well for me. I just went out and bought a local sim for my phone. The staff were friendly. The meals were excellent. I will visit this hotel the next time I go to Malta.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Davıd M
I thank you for your kind words and we look forward to your repeat visit. The issue to the Wi Fi is being resolved at the present time as it has been found that it is due to interference from third parties within the band width.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Mellieha Bay Hotel
#8 of 12 in Mellieha
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,895 reviews
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa

Been to Paradise Bay Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!