“Definately Not 4 Star”
Review of Mellieha Bay Hotel

Mellieha Bay Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My wife and I booked through Thompson who list this hotel as 4T, it isn't.

Despite paying for a room upgrade the room itself was jaded the furniture well worn and old fashioned. The bathroom was also in bad need of refurbishment, the shower only managed to dribble water and the side of the bath was rusty.

The location of the hotel is remote and there is nowhere close by to buy basic necessities without your own transport.

For a disabled person this hotel would be quite a challenge because access from reception to lifts servicing upper and lower floors were via stairs, and access to the new dining room did not have ramps from either inside or outside.

On the plus side the food was very good and the room was cleaned daily. The view from the room over the bay was beautiful as were the hotel gardens.

Some of the staff were very friendly and others were quite curt and could have made an effort to be more amenable.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have been refurbished find out which
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank John A
Write a ReviewReviews (2,204)

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I know it's late adding this review but I feel that people tend to write negative reviews and forget to write positive ones.
We are a couple in our 30s and we wouldn't have booked this hotel if we had read the Trip Advisor reviews too closely before booking..... but I thought the hotel was fab. We had one of the recently refurbished rooms which was located near the pool and thought it was very nice and comfortable.
The food was great - yes, of course if there was beef on one night, it is likely that there would be a beef stew/beef pie, etc the following day - it's called catering and it is exactly what anyone should expect from a cost-effective head chef! (There was a fruity curry which was on the buffet which was absolutely delicious and not too spicy - I wish I had asked for the recipe).
Our holiday to Malta is one of my favourite holidays I have been on and would recommend it to anyone... if you are only paying £450-£600 for a week's all inclusive including flights then it is unrealistic to expect to stay at The Ritz.
We would definitely recommend hiring a car and making he most of what the island has to offer.
The staff at watersports centre located at the hotel were also excellent and were happy to spend time advising us on trips as well as local hints and tips.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Zee98765
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We have been going to this hotel for approx 18 years and have found the management & staff to be very friendly. My daughter got married at the hotel last year & we couldn't fault the service they gave us. I would not stay anywhere else in Malta.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank elsie b
Reviewed March 13, 2014

just returned from a two week holiday.felt like I was in the middle of a "old peoples reunion party" and I wasn't invited. there were people in the hotel that had been going every year since it was opened in 1969. the hotel has a run down feeling about it.when the person next door had a shower it was like the water was running in your bath. sound proofing is non existent..in the winter this is a hotel for over 65 year olds. I am 60 and my partner is 55 and there was no daytime activities for us.we did take part in the afternoon quiz. the gym had 4 pieces of equipment and was closed most of the time. the food is good and varied and the chambermaid was brilliant.Getting around was ok.6.5 euros got you a weeks bus travel. we travelled to medina by taxi for 25euros. the ferry to gozo is close by and even in march was very busy. unless you want to spend the winter talking or playing cards with your old friends stay away from this hotel

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank jeff h
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband & I have just returned from a week in this hotel. There is currently some renovation work going on in part of the the restaurant but this is all being managed with minimum disruption to guests. The staff in the restaurant work incredibly hard making sure guests are well looked after. The food was excellent with lots of choices at breakfast, lunch & dinner.
I would say that at this time of year the majority of guests are older people many of whom are staying for a month to escape the cold winter weather and the hotel entertainment does cater to their needs, but there were also a few younger people & families with children who seemed quite happy with everything.
We found all the staff very friendly, pleasant and helpful. Our room was very clean & the beds comfortable. Would visit again.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank lorrainefd
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a week. RUDE staff especially in the restaurant you never got a smile let alone a hello, one member of staff in what they call a night club! Extremely rude I actually asked for less alcohol in my drink and he was so annoyed (don't understand that). The entertainment is awful every night the same people dancing doing the same ballroom dancing. And one night we had some line dancing. The room we had was on the ground floor which I thought was one of the best rooms very clean. We will not be going back.

• Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank bubbley01
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We visited this hotel in Febuary 2014 and never again!!. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the food was of a good standard with a variety of choice for all. Local transport is very reasonable an all day bus ticket costs 1.5 Euro and that allows you to explore the whole Island. Now the bad bits. This is an old peoples home disguised as an hotel, I would say the average age is around 65! Don't bother going to the entertainment it is embarrassing !!a load of old people ballroom dancing and line dancing. Alaxandra who was advertised as a sword shallower was laughable, his magic tricks where more suited to a kids party. The majority of the staff are unhelpful and often quite rude. If you are under 60 do yourself a favour and book a different hotel you will be disappointed with this one. We stayed on an all inclusive basis and spent most of the time out of the hotel that in itself speaks volumes.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank Gary G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
4 mi away
Dolmen Resort Hotel
Dolmen Resort Hotel
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Mellieha Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!