“Stay in Malta”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Stay in Malta”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I recently stayed in the Mellieha Bay Hotel with my family, it was a nice holiday but we had a few cockroaches enter the bedroom, the room had air conditioning.The food was ok plenty to choose from, the had entertainment on every night. They had a shop at the entrance but was only open as a when. If you wanted to go out on an evening or visit the town it was a 30 minute ride on a local bus.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bangor, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Just returned from a week with elderly parents, rooms clean and comfortable, towels changed every day if needed. Food excellent, good choice but not always piping hot. Staff very helpful and nothing was to much trouble. Views from bedrooms fantastic, lots of lifts so no need to use the stairs, location is nice & quiet with buses 100m away to get anywhere on the island, buy a weekly ticket for 12euros.
A lot of steps down to the gardens and beach which ruled it out for those with walking difficulties, not a problem for ourselves as we went out every day to explore the island. Excursions are cheaper if booked in Mellieha but strangely car hire was cheaper at reception.
This is not a 4 star hotel but a very good 3 star and is excellent value for money if booked through On The Beach and we had no problems with flights , transfers etc

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeff W
Bude, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This Hotel was opened in 1969 so don't expect luxury, however it appears to have been given a fairly recent refurbishment, the rooms are kept very clean, every room has a balcony overlooking the bay so don't pay for this facility as an extra and the food was very good for buffet style eating.
The price of a drink is quite high (4 euro's for a very average lager beer) and there are limited external alternatives to try as the Town of Mellieha is 4km away and up a very steep hill....not suited to those of limited mobility and a hire car would be a great advantage.
The local buses are regular and appear to run on time and give good value at 2.60Euros for a day ticket.
Hotel staff would benefit from being taught how to smile occasionally, but nevertheless gave an efficient service.
My only real negative was that the place was over-run with locals on the Friday and Saturday nights, which if they could be kept under control and not be allowed to make so much noise or re-organise the dining room to suit their requirements, then their presence would be more acceptable.

Room Tip: I was in B block which appeared to have been refurbished quite recently, however it did overlook the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Alan L
Banstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

we were a party of 25 bowlers singles and pairs..
with so many arriving together check in was very good.
we weer all inclusive which was very good
the food was excellent good cooked breakfast, plenty of choice for lunch and a good evening meal
coffee was available all day and included were cakes and sandwiches
the staff were very helpful and the service good.
if you needed anything it came fairly quickly unless you asked for a second chair for the balcony which took 3 days
we had a very enjoyable holiday with good weather except one day when it poured all day

Room Tip: rooms are being upgraded although there did not seem a great deal of difference.they all over look t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Crediton
Reviewed November 2, 2013

A good hotel location not too great. Easy to get to Gozo about 10mins to ferry 4.65 euros return.
Over 1 hour to Valletta. Busses run from the end of the road outside the hotel typically every 20 mins. Do buy a weekly ticket 12 euros . As much travel as you like till 11.pm. Otherwise 2.60 euros per day. On Gozo buy ticket 2.60 euros per day. Buses generally run to time and
timetables are displayed at each stop and are easy to understand.

Evening entertainment varies and is mainly for dancing.

Personally I would not go for All Inclusive as I consider the extra cost is not worth it.

The drinks you get on All Inclusive are less than good quality, except the lager . Price of lager if you are paying is 4 euros per pint. Tinned Hopleaf - Pale Ale 2.50 euros 330ml can. Good if you are a beer drinker. Premium spirits 2.5 euros single measure only.

Room Tip: Worth paying the £56 extra for 2 people for two weeks for a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony F
Gloucestershire
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is our third family visit (the other two being in 2010). Not much has changed in the three years, and from our point of view that's a good thing ! I didn't book with Thomson (went direct to hotel), didn't bother with all inclusive and didn't go for the "superior" room but stuck with a standard room on D block (the view of the bay is great & it's a nice walk back to the main hotel for food).

There are a lot of comments about his hotel not being a 4 star, and maybe it's not if you apply AA/RAC UK ratings, but frankly it's great if you have young children (the staff are really great with kids) and want some peace & quiet.

OK, so the restaurant isn't a fine dining experience, but there was always plenty of food and everything we had tasted great (plenty of selection). I would happily go back there without a moment's hesitation, but I accept that Malta is a very much "love it or hate it" place and the same applies to this hotel I think.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view, but ground floor rooms may be blocked by trees. B block is close to the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MattandAM
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed here for 1 week All Inclusive from 22nd to 29th October. We were there for a family wedding so there were 8 in the party + a 14 month toddler. The weather was unbelievably hot for the full 5 days we were there, as we lost 2 days travelling. It was my first time All Inclusive and will be my last as AI means pathetic sandwiches (one of my sons said the brown bread tuna sandwiches were good, but there were never any brown bread sandwiches available when I wanted one) and salt & vinegar crisps, if you drink beer or wine or are happy with cheap alternatives to your usual tipple you'll be fine. 6 euros for a small margarita that doesn't even have a salted rim, you pay for cheese toasties, doughnuts. pastries etc. I should explain that I have a heart condition and limited mobility, so missed out on most dining room meals which I believe from the rest of the family were good. On the few occasions I managed to reach the dining room our reserved table was so far from the open part of the food serving area, I was unable to make more than just the starter, anyway my appetite had completely gone after all the stairs up and down, lifts etc. I would point out that the hotel staff were all aware of my mobility problem, but there was never any offers made to make my stay any easier. One of the chefs did actually carry a bowl of soup to our table for me on one occasion. If I hadn't had my family around me my holiday would have been spent in my room or sun terrace.

Having said all that the rest of our group had a wonderful time and will probably make a return trip. One of the grumpy old men on reception did give me a list of more suitable rooms on our last evening, but I didn't have time to check them out the following morning as we had an early departure.

Room Tip: High Floors have best views, but water pressure is non existent. B37 has sun on the terrace all day...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Winnie46Edinburgh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Pergola Hotel & Spa
#5 of 12 in Mellieha
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,545 reviews
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa

Been to Mellieha Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!